Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 3,694

HallowMoonshadow

kyleforrester87 wrote:

Perhaps if you have no connection to the PS1 version there isn’t much for you here.

I've actually been more interested in FFVII Remake @kyleforrester87 then I ever was about the original, even before I eventually played it 😂

Nice to hear everyone is enjoying the combat (Which was honestly my main concern)

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Normally I'd assume you're just giving me a little ribbing @kyleforrester87... but I looked through the entire NieR Automata topic and saw how much you love the title... It's not my fault it didn't click with me!!! 😂

I'll admit I was a little ticked off that day for other reasons so I take back anything I said particularly nasty about NieR... Still not entirely for me though!

... And to keep somewhat on topic I have the FFVII remake demo downloading now! I maaaay have time to play it tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

Superb! Playing the demo has defo convinced me to pre-order the game.

The lighting is amazing, and I love the soundtrack too. The combat clicked pretty quickly with me although I did find the shock troopers a bit tricky, as I kept forgetting to block.

April 10th can't come quick enough!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Ah yes, I noticed Cloud had a fire spell but forgot to use it. Will hopefully remember when i play the full game.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Matroska

@kyleforrester87 Best thing to do is change stance with Cloud. Then when you block a melee attack it auto-counters. Counter 2 or 3 times and they're staggered, then just do Braver or whatever. Countering does good damage itself, and really builds up the ATB and stagger bar. Works great on the dogs too, basically anything that only melees. Best of all, it makes you look like you're really good at the game even though all you're doing is holding down R1.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Nei

The combat is super-nice in the demo, it seems like we're in for some very challenging fights in the final release! I love how FF always keeps things fresh...looking forward to play this one.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

kyleforrester87

@Matroska Cool, I might have another bash at the demo but I don't want to be bored of it when it comes to the main game so maybe I'll put it on ice...

...maybe.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

so i played the demo last night (link to a video is in my sig box) and it was amazing so where to start, first off it looks absolutely amazing in motion, i only have a base PS4 (launch model too) and it ran as smooth as butter (and not once did it kick the fan into high speed either), the level' was pretty linear though but then again it was the first level in the game and that's to be expected, it's basically a tutorial level (so i have no idea why the push square reviewer was moaning about it, seems like they was just nitpicking to find something negative)

next onto sound and to get this off the bat, the new voice cast did a great job i know a lot of people were worried about the change but it's good, Cloud sounds like the cocky guy he was at the start of FFVII and Cody Christian does it well, his voice is similar to Burtons Cloud but a bit more cocksure and given at this point in the story Cloud is a bit aloof so it fits better than the more somber and depressed voice Burton does

Barret is a bit OTT but the character was OTT during the early sections of FFVII, he wasa guy who believed he was the only person who was right, that he was the only person who could "save the world" and he kinda had to be the center of attention, that's why in the OG FFVII he said lines like "If we gotta have a leader then it's gotta be ME" and and John Eric Bentley certainly makes Barret sound like he is trying to sound important

as for the Avalanche gang Erica Linbeck does a great job as Jessie but as for Biggs and Wedge they don't really get a lot of screen time in the demo so i'll hold judgement on them but they seem OK

then come the music for want of a better word, fantastic the remixes of the old songs feel fresh but at the same time hit you right in the nostalgia, and the Scorpion boss battle music for example works well and gets you pumped as you fight the boss

as for other things like sound effects i noticed that Clouds sword makes slightly different sounds when they impact enemies depending on what kind of enemy you are fighting for example you hear more of a clunk when fighting a robot like a sweeper than you get when fighting a normal soldier so that's a nice touch

but the most important aspect of any game, the game play and how does FFVII Remake play well for want of a better word it plays great, if i was going to compare it to other games i would say it like a mix between Kingdom Hearts and FFXV, you attack with the Square button (and it's not hold to attack like FFXV you have to press it repeatedly to chain standard attacks), for Cloud you can press Triangle to switch between two different stances for light or heavy attacks holding the Square button allows you to do a area attack and pressing the Cross button allows you to bring up the command menu to select other attacks, Spells and Items or you can press L1 and bring up a quick menu and select from 4 preset moves (just like in Kingdom Hearts), bringing up the command menu will slow the game down to allow you time to select your commands and it works pretty well, it also allows you to select a enemy from a target list so you can always attack the enemy you want to (same with using curative items or spells)

you also need to make good use of the character switching as there are enemies that Cloud can't hit so you will need Barrets long range ability and specking of Barret he has his own unique Triangle attack witch is basically a charge shot, can do some good damage though but you have to wait for it to recharge before using it again

you can also issue commands to other party members by pressing R2 so even though the computer will control them for the most part they are still under you command even if your not controlling them

you can guard by pressing R1 this will reduce you incoming damage and even negate some of it but be careful because depending on what stance Cloud is using his defence will change for example using punisher mode Cloud will NOT be able to defend against long range attack or magic

now i'm not going to spoil the boss fight but you won't win unless you make use of BOTH party characters efficiently, i played the game on Normal difficulty and the fight was a bit of a challenge

now i think i'll leave it there i don't want to spoil things for people, if you're interested in the FFVII Remake than you should definitely download the demo and give it a go but as for me i loved it and i can't wait for the full game to be released which by the way they have finally confirmed has gone gold, it's finished

now if you will excuse me i'm going to play the demo again
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

johncalmc

The FFVII Remake Demo is fantastic.

I love the battle system, which is what I was most concerned about since I already like the story and the characters. Looks great, sounds great, plays great. Obviously going to preorder it now.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

Really loved the demo, the combat is challenging enough and doesn’t feel like a button masher, which is what I was concerned about. Obviously it’s a shame it’s just Midgar but I’m really especially hyped now so probably going to pre-order once I get paid.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

I've had the special edition preordered for months.

Really liked the demo. The presentation and music are just awesome. There's so much personality to these characters, and I already love Wedge and Jessie this time around. Barret goes full ham with the voice acting, but I don't really see that as an issue. Like the games, it's incredibly entertaining watching go off on people.

The combat system is fun for normal enemies, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about it with bosses, since the boss felt like a bit of a slog. Maybe I'm just not utilizing the system effectively enough and need to practice. I do like that there is a sort of skill component to combat now, though.

Switching between characters is really fluid and natural, and I can't wait until I'm able to play around with Tifa and her brawler-type moveset.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Matroska

One thing (of many) I'm looking foward to is seeing what each characters Triangle move is, like Cloud's stance and Barret's charged shot. I think Yuffie's could be Mug or something like it. Cid might have a Dragoon leap attack. It'd be cool if Tifa's is like a FADC in SF4 so she can cancel moves into each other and extend combos.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah what difficulty level did you play it on?, if you're having issues with the Boss then maybe it would be a good idea to play on an easier level until you can learn the ins and outs of the combat system

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 That was enough for me, I don't wanna run the risk of ruining the game before it has even come out.

Ralizah

If the FFVIIR games are significantly enhanced on PS5, I might go for that earlier than later. The game looks and plays fine, but it's clear that it would benefit tremendously from more powerful hardware. Must be insanely cool playing this at 60fps.

@FullbringIchigo Normal difficulty. And no. I didn't lose to the boss, and these encounters SHOULD be challenging. I just felt like my performance against it was suboptimal.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic