Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 3,678

Matroska

@kyleforrester87 It definitely does, going off the demo. The scorpion boss is intense and you really have to think about what you're doing, not just mindlessly alternate between holding Square and Circle like XV.

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

nessisonett

@Matroska @redd214 Actually, you can play as all 4 characters now in XV. I replayed it a while back and it’s soooo much better than it was at launch. It’s still not perfect and the game nosedives after it goes linear but they did fix a lot and there’s even alternate endings that are so much more fulfilling.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Matroska Do you have the Royal Edition?

FullbringIchigo

@Matroska you have to unlock the ability to switch on the Ascension board

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Matroska

@nessisonett Yeah. It hasn't mentioned that feature yet in any tutorial or pop-up info windows. I have things like the 4x4 car and first-person mode so Royal Edition is definitely working.

@FullbringIchigo Ah right, thanks. I must've missed that. Though do they even play differently? Noct can use all weapons anyway and I'm guessing they can't warp?

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

FullbringIchigo

@Matroska did you play the DLC episodes, they play just like they do in those

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Matroska

@FullbringIchigo Nope. I played the normal version at launch but stopped at some point after you summon Ramuh or see Titan, whichever happens last. I'm just giving it another chance now since Royal Edition was only £15 in the sale.

Is there an obvious point in the game when they all get split up that you should play the DLC at? I mean, I assume that's what happens.

Matroska

FullbringIchigo

@Matroska play the Gladio one after he leaves for a little bit and comes back (as it's framed as a flash back) the Ignis one play after Chapter 9 and play Promptos after Chapter 13

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yep this is very much the way I approach my gaming. This is probably something that you have to realise yourself and happen naturally over time.

However, it does mean that I've missed entire series of games like Yakuza as I feel that I would need to play all of the games to appreciate them the best. Playing all seven or so of the games seems a bot much for me. The latest one seems like a good point to jump in as it is a fresh story for the series.

In regards to the demo, can't wait to play it when I get home! Hopefully I will decide whether to pre-order it or not.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah as Final Fantasy are mosty self contained stories you can get away more with skipping some of the games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

Played the demo. Character models looked great. Combat was a bit like XIII, which on one I liked better than XV's but on the other hand I don't like having to look at the gauges all the time. Also, I think it's funny that Barret talks like a wrestler.

So SkillUp just mentioned that the game doesn't have random encounters. Does that mean that enemies will always spawn/respawn in the same spots?

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

FullbringIchigo

@WanderingBullet i imagine it will be like FFXII and FFXIII where the enemies are on the map but respawn when you either leave the area or move a certain distance away

kyleforrester87

Just smashed through the demo - it is FANTASTIC.

One observation: I did wonder how they’d frame Avalanche, 25 years later and after everything that’s happened in the world since then, since they do basically start the game by carrying out a major terrorist attack, so I was interested to see that they had Shinra himself ultimately cause the explosion which took out the reactor (I assume to smear Avalanche) since the bomb Cloud and co planted seemed to either be a dud or just designed to be small enough to blow up the control unit on the reactor.

Partly I wish Square had been a bit braver with that aspect.

@ellsworth004 since we’re talking about it on PSN. Yeah the scorpion boss was a bit long winded, pretty easy once you got the pattern down hiding behind the debris etc. And I hammered that second walking mech on the way out, since the combat had clicked by that point. I can see after a few hours getting used to all the menus that the combat is gunna be lots of fun!

Basically, if you loved the original, I can’t see you not enjoying this to a degree. Perhaps if you have no connection to the PS1 version there isn’t much for you here. It’s really hard to be objective about it tbh. It’s like if you’re a Shenmue fan.. and Shenmue 3 was really really good 😂

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Hm, haven’t played it yet but I’m a bit peeved they’ve changed Avalanche to be ‘nobler’. The whole point is that they’re eco-terrorists that seemingly get a conscience when the sh*t hits the fan. Even Biggs, Wedge and Jessie mention penance at the pillar thing.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett unless I completely misinterpreted what I was seeing in the remake.

And I mean, you could always say that’s what happened in the original, it was just off camera, and Avalanche and the audience were none the wiser.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic