Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 3,678

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 FF8 is marmite dipped pork scratchings.

Sounds ace to me.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy Nah, I don't hate FF8. But neither did I think "oh gee, this story is totally ripping off Shinji's emotional arc from Neon Genesis Evangelion!"

I also don't believe it's possible to genuinely dislike FF9, and I won't hear another word about that.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

HallowMoonshadow

"Why you think you hate it: Because you don’t have any other option. This game has become so inescapable that saying it’s your favorite entry in the series is almost boring. So even if the story of Cloud fighting for the right to his own identity changed your life, you can’t call it your favorite. It belongs to everyone now."

... Yeah that's not why I don't like (hate is such a strong word) FFVII at all... This whole article is a bunch of crock

I think we found your brother @kyleforrester87 of TryHarderman 😂

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

kyleforrester87

I'm playing Bravely Second at the moment, and while it's a FFlite in many respects (this is often a good thing by the way, it really trims the fat and your imagination can fill in the blanks) but it bulks the game out in other ways. In particular I really enjoy the explanations that come with the items you collect. Cool bit of thoughtful world building, and as a Final Fantasy fan it's fun to see how some of the items I've been using in those games for decades are made. Science!

https://i.ibb.co/Nsvrdv0/44-D0-E991-49-B7-477-E-9-D11-2717988...

https://i.ibb.co/2Mx8JGK/F1-F23120-3184-4-EFC-85-BC-5-E198065...

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 See, I just don’t know about FF9. It’s definitely not my least favourite since the gameplay is objectively better than most games in the series. However, for me, the story isn’t as good as VI or VII. Plus, the constant splitting of party means that I’m currently on the Desert Palace with pretty much no hope of completing it as I had been using my usual tactic of ‘find cool party, mark out the Cait Siths of the game and swear to never use them’. It probably sits middle of the bunch for me but V is the only one I haven’t at least started so that could change.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett I do agree that the game loses steam in the 3rd quarter, but the first half and finale are awesome. I love everything that happens in Alexandra and Lindblum, and watching Zindane and Dagger get closer was way nicer than the love story in FF8. And the ending is probably my favourite ending of all time.

Eiko is kind of annoying, and Amarant doesn't really have much of an impact but the rest of the cast are fantastic.

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

well i was reading it until i got to the one on FFX and then i said to myself "Did this person ever actually play these games"

now i was going to say something on all of the but instead i'll just comment on what was said about FF8 and FF10

The weird (even for Final Fantasy) plot essentially retells Shinji’s emotional arc from Neon Genesis Evangelion in a world of alien-owned high schools and amnesiac orphans, and yet it still remains the franchise’s most consistent attempt at telling a love story

NO it's about 2 people overcoming their fear of loss and abandonment and finding the family that they always wanted

Tidus. This entire game is based around the slowly dawning horror of Yuna’s situation, and the bravery and strength she displays as she marches towards a violent Lovecraftian death. And yet the entire narrative is hijacked by some asshole jock in lederhosen yelling about how her death is His Story. It’s mansplaining framed as a love story. Luckily, Square would learn from its mistake and never have a bland, smiling nothing of a main character at the expense of the expanded cast ever again

again WRONG FFX was about both the stories of Tidus and Yuna and how they started in different places but then intertwined with each other and how he helped change the tragic ending of her story into a better one at the expense of ending his

who ever wrote that article needs to actually go and play a FF game instead of reading them up on Wikipedia or looking at memes because they are wrong on EVERY count and in honesty the only real answer to that whole thing is this...

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 maybe it is but if he missed the point of the games and what they were trying to do then his opinion is wrong

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo I think the article’s a p*sstake taking aim at hardcore FF fans that love to assert their opinions as fact. It just makes fun of the worst aspect of every game except XIII where the worst aspect is the game itself 😉

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett XIII isn't a bad game it's just different

Thrillho

@nessisonett Thanks for posting it as I found it pretty funny but it reminded me never to look at kotaku on my phone. Horrendous website without an adblocker!

Thrillho

FullbringIchigo

you know that article got me thinking about what things in a FF game people might not like so i'm gonna ask it here

What ONE thing don't you like from each FINAL FANTASY

now a few rules first ONE THING ONLY, what is the worst aspect of each FF game you played (and saying "the entire game" doesn't count)

second, you must fully explain why you don't like these elements, no single word or lines like "because i don't", if you don't explain then people can't understand

third, you CAN use the same thing for multiple games if you want, after all sometimes in a series like this aspects carry over between games

fourth, spin off games such as Dissidia, Crystal Chronicles or 4 Heroes of Light are included too, it's not just main line games

and finally BE RESPECTFUL not everyone will share your opinion or they may dislike a aspect that you love, everyone is entitled to their opinion and no opinion is wrong in this because everyone is different

so with that being said have at it and have fun
Untitled

WanderingBullet

Only played XII, XIII, XIV and XV.

Don't hate any of them but this is how I would probably rate them:

1. FFXIV - 9.5/10
2. FFXII - 9.5/10
3. FFXV - 8.5/10
4. FFXIII - 7.5/10

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

kyleforrester87

1-5: I just don't like them, they were already old when I tried to play them and other than 4 I didn't get any real enjoyment out of them.

6: I don't like everything that happens after the "main event" toward the end of the game.

7: What don't I like about this game, jeez. Errrm... it's a pass, I dislike nothing about it.

8: The whole school thing. And Norg. And the world map music. And the way you earn money. And drawing. And GFs. And the world map music. And the world map music. And the world map music.

9: The 3rd quarter is kind of a slog.

10: The temples are awful, one in particular.

11: Ha

12: Boring characters

13: Three of the worst FF characters, and way to linear, which wouldn't be a problem if the story wasn't so dull and I didn't hate most of the cutscenes. Music sucked.

14: Typical grindy MMORPG nonsense

15: Awful side quests. I would genuinely be surprised if they weren’t designed by a potato.

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo Nice idea!

I - The lack of a decent plot/characters although that’s forgivable considering the age etc.

II - Oh jeez, you know already what it is 😂 levelling is utterly broken. Punching your teammates so they gain HP... does not make sense.

III - Easily the hardest game, it’s brutal and really easy to mess up an entire save/need to grind for literally hours. Also Salamander can die in hellfire.

IV - Hm, this is a good one but I got a wee bit sick of fighting the 4 Fiends. The bosses aren’t great in this one.

V - Only one I haven’t played!

VI - Hard to pick out much wrong with it but probably how often you’re funnelled into having a specific party.

VII - Some of those side quests are nigh on impossible without a guide. Who raises chocobos for KotR without a guide? Not me, that’s for sure. Actually, I’ve never bothered getting KotR because it just breaks the game anyway.

VIII - Drawing/GF/basically the whole stats mechanic. I know you lot all have different opinions on the mechanic but it does my head in. Either you’re ludicrously OP or you’re massively underpowered. There’s no in between.

IX - Probably how often the party’s split, as I’ve mentioned. It does encourage use of all characters but I play the games wrong/only use the characters I like.

X - I love this game just as much as VII but the plot is hilarious. Also Wakka. Just everything about that racist, volleyball-throwing, quiff-monster.

XI - PS2’s internet. It was impressive but if there’s ever a case for a game being almost too ahead of time, that’s it.

XII - Again, I love this one although I only played the remaster. The pacing is seriously bad though, especially at the end. It just... ends.

XIII - Seeing as I can’t say the whole game...😛 I’ll go for the characters. Yes, it’s linear and corridor-esque but a better plot would have let me put up with that if I had got invested in the characters. Snow does seem a wee bit noncey in retrospective and Hope is eye-wateringly annoying. Lightning is somehow less interesting as a character than Vaan. That’s impressive.

XIV - Couldn’t really get into it for one reason, subscription fees. I know that’s hardly a criticism of the game but I just really dislike a subscription and it’s also why I don’t have WoW Classic. Especially if I’m having to pay for the base game and expansions. Elder Scrolls Online going FTP shows it can work.

XV - Everything after the end of the open world. Loved the open world, plus postgame but once it went linear it went off the rails, literally 😉. The gameplay just doesn’t suit it and the poor car was forgotten. And then there’s the whole extended media required to ‘fully appreciate’ the game. Yep, sure.

Tactics - It isn’t Tactics Advance 😉. Unpopular opinion but Advance is the superior game just because I vastly prefer the approach to missions in that game. The original is a wee bit too linear for my liking, I love the way Advance handled it.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 What’s wrong with 8’s map music 😂 Honestly one of the only things I like about 8 is the soundtrack, especially the world map!

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett honestly the world map music kind of makes my spine tingle in all the wrong ways. As soon as it kicks in, kind of makes me shudder.

I like the Garden soundtrack, and the Laguna battle music. Other than that, it can 0,1,2,1,do,1.

Edit: Dollet landing theme is good too.

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett i managed to raise a Gold Chocobo without a guide but if i'm honest it was pretty much by accident, i have no idea how i did it, i just bread 2 chocobos and got a gold one

and yes KotR breaks FFVII, with KotR, Quadra Magic and W-Summon you can KO anything in one move even Ruby Weapon

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic