Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 781 to 800 of 810

LN78

They're bringing Daisy Ridley back. I can definitely contain my excitement.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

Not sure about this one, they certainly seem to going all in on basically doing live action continuations of the animated series. Kind of expected with Dave Filloni's overseeing so much.
Loads of people going crazy over the mention of the first Timothy Zahn book title as a line. Just makes me sad we never got a version of that trilogy as films.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

Well they definitely haven’t learned their lesson from the slow death of the MCU. Oversaturation is a real problem.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett It really is. I take great comfort in knowing that it's getting easier to ignore the vast majority of it because the quality has just nose dived.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @LN78 Yup. My main issue with both Star Wars and Marvel currently.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Imagine if we were being bombarded with "Andor" and Marvel Phase 2 and 3 quality product month after month - it would be impossible to keep up. Judging by what's been announced at the convention today there's absolutely no danger of that happening - I genuinely can't believe that LucasFilm have done their market research and discovered an overwhelming demand for a new Rey Skywalker led Jedi Order film.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

Well, so much for the "celebration" aspect of the Star Wars Celebration Weekend.

Untitled

Kidfried wrote:

I have not said anything about both The Mandalorian and Boba Fett soundtracks. That was a mistake on my part! They're both amazing; probably the best Star Wars soundtracks have ever been.

Thank you for highlighting the soundtracks! Music is such an important ingredient in good Star Wars, and I wholeheartedly agree that both shows have been boosted by the perfect musical accompaniment that 100% suits their tone and style. In fact, I seem to recall making a post earlier in this topic asserting that, no matter what, Disney's Star Wars output has always gotten the music spot on.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

After the deluge of crap/stream of exciting news (delete as applicable) coming from the "Star Wars" cult retreat celebration convention, I decided to watch the pre "Episode IV:A New Hope" branded, untampered with version of the original film via the bootleg "4K77" blu-ray. It's still technically bravura, still directorially and performatively naive (pick an accent, Carrie!), still paced, structured and scored to perfection, still utterly bereft of cynicism and still completely wonderful.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger 'Yay! Star Wars! Hooray for Star Wars! Star Wars forever!'

Untitled

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Bundersvessel

Does anyone know when the final episode of The Mandalorian is released? I want to watch the whole series at once and avoiding spoilers is almost impossible these days, hence why I haven’t used the internet to find out.

JohnnyShoulder

@AgentCooper I took one for the team, and googled it. The last episode airs on April 19th, so next week!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I started watching Andor, since I still have the Disney subscription for a few weeks. So far it's writing is brilliant, direction and acting is top notch as well and I can see why it got rave reviews too. And still only completely ok so far (paraphrasing LN87 here).

Maybe it becomes better and better, let's hope so, but I can't see it exceeding Mandalorian so far. While I think Mandalorian sometimes does a bit too much fanservice, I just love how the series embraces how fully weird Star Wars is through its weird story structure. Andor so far could also be a Mass Effect spin-off or any other space opera. But that all might still change, I'm looking forward to the rest of Andor all the same!

Kidfried

LN78

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes when I'm watching mediocre, cartoonish, fan service infused, CGI saturated claptrap I often think to myself "thank goodness this show doesn't have brilliant writing, acting and directing - that would totally ruin it for me". 🙄.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Thrillho

@Kidfried I’m 10 episodes into Andor and I sort of feel the opposite to you. I think it’s great that they’ve got this series that uses the Star Wars universe to do something completely different; it’s great that it doesn’t have to all be Jedis and blaster fights.

But once I realised that there has been pretty much zero aliens in it, it’s almost been a bit of a running gag for me (I can only think of a super tall alien from one of the first episodes that someone tries to use to intimidate Andor). That said, I don’t think it spoils anything at all.

The series also has the most ridiculously long opening ever. It’s easy to skip the recap snd “title” but then have to fast forward 40s of the slowest ever zoom on the work Andor too 😁

Thrillho

Thrillho

@LN78 sorry, I reflexively just fast forwarded through that

Thrillho

LN78

@Thrillho Amazing that someone (with too much time on their hands) figured out that they were actually layered.

LN78

Kidfried

@Thrillho Haha, yeah, the first thing my partner and me said to each other is that the opening sucked. The logo is also pretty eh...

Compared to The Mandalorian the music is also lacking a bit, though it's not bad in any way.

I'm also very happy to watch a series that does something completely different. Jedi's and the force were never my favorite part of Star Wars anyway, so I don't miss that. I do miss some of the charm of the universe though. The bodyguard from the first episode still stands out to me as one of the series' best moments so far. Without stuff like that the series becomes more of a generic tv series. It's very unique for a Star Wars story, but less unique compared to other stuff that is out there.

I really like what I'm seeing though, so don't get me wrong. I really like how the story is about resistance, but on a smaller scale than "the fate of the universe". I also like parallels with real word oppression ans resistance, so I'm definitely enjoying my time.

I really like clunky charm though, so I keep coming back to The Mandalorian. Just a few days until series finale!

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic