Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 761 to 780 of 810

RogerRoger

@Thrillho It still astounds me how many folks complained about the "fatal" wounds in Obi-Wan. I mean, we're literally talking about a galaxy in which Maul survived being bisected, Anakin survived being dismembered and burned alive, and Kylo Ren took a direct bowcaster shot to the stomach before engaging in a climactic duel against two opponents (in the same movie which established that bowcaster shots instantly yeet people to death). The reason Anakin falls to the Dark Side is because Palpatine straight up tells him that it's a path to immortality. It's like, how much clearer can they make it...?!

Otherwise yeah, cool thoughts.

In all seriousness, I'm real glad you found its fun, and that you enjoyed its highlights (of which there are many, all of which outshine any minor, fleeting flaws). Hope you like Andor as much, if not moreso!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Elodin

@Thrillho Yikes. sorry for the spoilers. I agree Reva running with that wound was a bit much. I tried to put in my head that a light Saber singed her insides preventing massive blood loss. Lol.

Elodin

Elodin

@RogerRoger I have continued to watch Bad Batch based on your recommendation for season 2. Season 2 is really really good. A lot growth amongst the characters.

Elodin

Thrillho

@Elodin No worries, I do know bits of the other films already so I won’t be going into them completely blind. I’m almost disappointed they didn’t have a comedy camera shot of Reva with a big hole still through her on Tatooine

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Elodin Nice, glad you're continuing to enjoy the show! Are you completely up-to-speed ahead of the last three episodes, then? It's been a remarkably consistent season, I reckon. Can't wait to see what tomorrow's gonna do ahead of the two-part finale next week! Got any theories?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Won't say anything this early after release, but I am the happiest man today.

The. Happiest. Man.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

The Bad Batch ended its second season in brave fashion today. Obviously took notice of the praise directed at the first season's sombre conclusion and dialled it up to eleven, with surprising results. It shouldn't work, but somehow the show manages to have its cake and eat it, delivering fun "adventure of the week" nonsense before pivoting to pull off powerful gut-punches, all without missing a beat. Can't wait for a third (and final?) season; here's hoping it doesn't take too long to come back around.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Thanks for recommending me Story of Boba Fett, I watched the season over the course of 4 days.

Now... here's the thing.

I think the first Mandalorian season is by far the best. Doesn't need age old Star Wars cliches, but creates a new story that is simultaneously true to the original series but also very much its own thing, all while managing to take the space opera from film directly to tv series. Can't praise that first season enough.

The second season was very good, and had some amazing episodes, but some episodes relied a bit too much on established characters or story beats, either from the old SW films or from the previous episodes. I think Mandalorian works best when every episode is a western movie, bu coincidentally ties into the larger story to be told.

And now Boba Fett! Let's face it, I loved Boba as a kid, but the character isn't instantly likeable from a personality perspective. Especially without the mask he's just kinda... bland. I think most attempts (not all) to give him more depth don't fully succeed, and therefore are the low points of the series. Especially the first four episodes, there's just way too much of that.

Episode 5 to 7 are very different from each other, but are good. And yes, 50% is that certain actor being in those episodes. But other parts of it is that only then the story is being tied to something bigger than Tattooine. (And don't get me wrong, I think a story about Tatooine can work, but they needed to include at least one character with depth.)

I didn't really like how the classic characters and locations were all trying a bit too hard to be a Star Wars Greatest Hits.

REMEMBER THIS SONG?! REMEMBER THIS QUOTE?! REMEMBER THIS CHARACTER?! Yeah, I do, but what does it even add? For me the "there is no try" being the absolute bottom.

Still, I enjoyed Boba Fett, and probably even more than most. Has some very, very good scenes. Like the stuff in Freetown, or the stuff on Glavin. Episode 5 is probably better than most Mandalorian episodes.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

Ranking it:
1. Mando Season 1: 9/10
2. Mando Season 2: 8/10
3. Book of Bobba Fett: 5/10 for the first half 7/10 for the last half

But most of all I'm just very happy to have watched Fett before season 3.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried You're welcome, and I'm glad that you didn't regret watching the show!

I completely understand where you're coming from, with regards your rankings and preferences. What you'll either find better or worse (depending on your point of view) is that The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett feature even more cameos and callbacks than you're probably aware of (said with no offence; even I missed a handful). A substantial amount of the story's lore comes from the animated Star Wars shows (specifically The Clone Wars, Rebels and The Bad Batch) as well as comics, books, and even a gameshow.

You're right, they started out with very few references, before slowly ramping them up in Season 2 and then going nuts with Boba's book. They seem to have settled back down again with Season 3. We've reached the point where sure, it's a continuing storyline, but it's established what it's continuing with now. There's a core, ongoing group to follow, with far less "bolt-on nostalgia" and far fewer surprise re-appearances along the way (although we've still got three episodes of Season 3 to drop, so that could all change come Wednesday, and it's still has its moments, because... well, because Star Wars).

Anyway, I'm rambling now, apologies. My point is that yes, you're not alone in your feelings (nor are you alone in thinking that Chapter 5 of The Book of Boba Fett is the best episode of The Mandalorian, as weird as that sounds)! Methinks you're really gonna enjoy Andor as and when. In the meantime, I hope you have fun with Mando's third season! Here's hoping they stick the landing!

And thanks for sharing such a cool breakdown of your thoughts, too!

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I spotted one or possibly two Kotor references in Mandalorian, which pretty much convinced me that, yes, this series probably has a thousand references that I'm missing! I can appreciate those subtle ones.

I just started watching season 3 today. Thanks for your ramblings, most people I know don't really keep up with Star Wars anymore, so it's nice to share perspectives with you .

What's your favorite episode?

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Yeah, I tend to watch a well-informed reaction channel on YouTube after most episodes, and they fill me in on what I've missed. I think in Season 2, the planet Tython was a KOTOR reference...?

Likewise; it's awesome to track a friend's perspectives as they go along! Really hope that switching to weekly drops for the tail-end of Season 3 doesn't hurt the experience too much, given how you've been binge-watching the show(s) up until now. I think I'd find that jarring!

Hmm. That's a difficult question. Not to sound too pretentious, but I tend to have favourite "moments" rather than entire episodes, because I see Star Wars as one giant tapestry and regularly return to binge the lot, regardless of type (that, and the astronomical production quality makes all the shows feel like a bunch of movies that've been arbitrarily chopped up by Disney+ to lengthen subscriber periods).

I've raved about The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 2: 'The Tribes of Tatooine' before and that'd probably be my favourite single episode from that show, mainly because I have a huge emotional connection to any and all members of the Fett family. I thought that the train heist was one of the best, most exciting action sequences to date, and then Boba's spiritual journey to acceptance was deeply moving for me. Some sequences in later episodes were perhaps better-executed or more interesting, but made less of an impact on me personally. I loved the whole show, though.

From the first season of The Mandalorian, I'd say Chapter 1 made one heck of an impression, and was the most successful standalone for me. From the second season, I'd probably pick Chapter 13: 'The Jedi' (but only because Boba later got to shine in his own show; otherwise it would've been Chapter 14). Again, my favourite moments come from different episodes, but these were just wonderful overall.

Not got a favourite from Season 3 yet, but definitely have a favourite moment, one that I doubt they'll be able to top, no matter what happens! Am keeping an open mind, though!

What about you? Would it definitely be that fifth chapter from Boba's book, do you think?

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Playstation Access have put up a video about it with new footage too.

There's this too

It seems they have been doing some hands on demoing recently.

I'm similar to you on waiting on reviews to see how it addresses some of the things I disliked about the original.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

@BearsEatBeets Yeah, the publicity blitz has begun in earnest. It looks like a pretty competent sequel, truth be told but it'll live or die based on the new stance system. It seems like they might be pivoting from a "Sekiro" -lite to a "Nioh" -lite if that makes sense!

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 I wasn't a massive fan of the combat style in the first but putting it easy made it passible. I can't see it being too dissimilar here but we will see. I'm curious how the blaster/sabre style will work, unfortunately it seems they weren't able to try that at this point. Pleased to hear there is at least fast travel between meditation points this time so that's a plus.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

@BearsEatBeets That's a definite bonus. I'm just hoping the whole thing is more even in terms of polish (which the delay would seem to indicate) because the quality varied wildly from stage to stage in the first game. And the less said about the PS5 "upgrade" the better.

LN78

Kidfried

I have not said anything about both The Mandalorian and Boba Fett soundtracks. That was a mistake on my part! They're both amazing; probably the best Star Wars soundtracks have ever been.

Kidfried

Kidfried

I kind of enjoyed Fallen Order, but the series really needs its Uncharted 2 moment; a mindblowing sequel. So far this game looks like more of an iteration, but it's hard to tell from what we've seen so far. Let's hope it surpasses the original by quite a big margin.

Kidfried

LN78

@Kidfried You genuinely think that the TV show scores are better than the god-tier stuff John Williams produced for the first six (yes, even I think the prequel music is incredible) movies? That certainly is an opinion.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic