Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 2,454

JohnnyShoulder

redd214 wrote:

Events getting canceled left and right, companies pulling out of cons cause of Corona virus. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if GDC/E3 heck even the Olympics were axed.

There is even talk of the European football tournament being postponed if things don't improve. I think the I.O.C have until May to decide if the Olympics still goes ahead.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

redd214

@JohnnyShoulder yeah I've read about a few matches happening with absolutely no audience in attendance. I think GDC will get canceled today as over half of the attendees have pulled out. May is the cutoff date for IOC yes, honestly if things don't get drastically better (which I doubt) I'd actually be surprised if they don't cancel them. There have been a couple people with symptoms in my area but all have come back negative thankfully.

redd214

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 I'll get my mask on and head to China to carry on production if you are game.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Octane

@redd214 Impressive. Sony managed to cancel the whole event to cover the fact that they're afraid to reveal the PS5.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Octane I hope you are joking!

Octane

@JohnnyShoulder Haven't you noticed? The fact that they revealed the PS4 in February is definite proof that the exact same thing should have happened this year.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD I do think we should take it very seriously, but it's a good reminder that it's mostly the elderly and very young who are in danger. Most of us experience nothing more than a common cold, and that's it. I'm all for taking the best possible precautions, but we also have to be realistic, this won't turn into a zombie apocalypse.

But seeing how it has pretty much spread everywhere, I don't think there's much we can do about it anymore.

Octane

mookysam

@KratosMD Interestingly I got an email from the supermarket I order my weekly shop from saying they're running out of delivery slots quicker and people are making larger orders than usual. Clearly some people are in panic mode and switching to ordering online rather than going to a physical shop, which is ridiculous. Luckily I have a little food stockpiled from when I stocked up before the October Brexit date.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Jaz007

@KratosMD Having an extra stockpile of food can't hurt if you can afford it. Think of it like this, if you have get a stockpile of long-lasting food and keep it, you'll always have it. Worried something could happen? Cool, you're already prepared. Finances are extra tight and things are getting hard to pay for? You have extra food already so you can worry less about that part of the budget. Nothing left in the store because everyone is panicking? Bunch of slowpokes don't have extra food already? 😂 (and you don't have something to munch on while you wait for the stores to restocked)

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

nessisonett

@KratosMD @Jaz007 Might just be me but sometimes I really can’t be arsed cooking and a tin of beans and sausages sounds really good. That is also a valid reason to stock up on tinned food. And I’m a so called foodie 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Ugh. We had a trip planned in September that would have brought us into Washington, but we just pushed that back to May of 2021. It's all over that state, and I'm not going to risk my mother getting this thing and dying.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

1% of people that caught the virus have died from it. That means that 99% have made a full recovery from it. Doesn't sound too bad now. Most of those 1% are in China where the virus first started.

Here in the UK some people panic buy at stupid stuff like the first sign of a bit of snow. Really does my nut in.

kyleforrester87

Yeah when you’re looking at only 90000 cases worldwide and 80000 of those are in China I don’t think it’s time for panic stations just yet.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

I mean, perspective is needed when it comes to it. I think, when it comes to the death rate, yes it is at 1% but it is still double that of Flu. That also negates the number of people that have severe symptoms and need hospital symptoms. That is something like 10-15% (if memory serves). That means to recover, they need assistance which means they need doctors/nurses/facilities. Plus the death and severe illness rate is higher in healthcare professionals. So of, what 68 million people in the UK, let's say the expcted 40% infection rate occurs over the next year, you are looking at 27,200,000 infections over the course of the year. Of this, you can expect 1% death rate 272,000 deaths give or take. So more than the population of Milton Keynes. On top of that you can expect 2,720,200 potential patients needing medical care to stay alive just for this one virus. Now my numbers are no doubt wonky because, estimates, lots of assumptions, regional variances etc.

My point isn't one of panic, but of disruption and why the whole containment thing is important. If you can slow or spread out the impact of the virus, the less disruption there will be. My main fear is the disruption to the supply chain and economy. Even if people have mild symptoms you can assume a week or two off so big disruption, especialy if you have kids that get it or ar at risk. Then you have the impact of the big exporter countries that supply us with a lot of what we use everyday also having the same issues, indeed possibly worse due to our good healthcare system.

That is why I am in currently watching all this on monitors, 40 stories below sea level, in a bunker.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@Rudy_Manchego I think it's also important to keep in mind that healthy people aren't the ones at risk. So whilst there is a 1-2% mortality rate over the whole population of infected individuals, it's relatively higher for the risk groups; elderly, people with impaired immunity and the very young. Then it does become an even more significant percentage; and chances are that you will know someone that will die of it if everyone gets infected at some point.

Additionally, we have no idea how many unregistered cases there currently are. So any precautions are good in this case. Just don't go hoarding food, that's pointless.

Octane

Sorry, this topic has been locked.