Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 621 to 640 of 921

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine I found books 2 & 3 to be much better than the first. So I hope you enjoy the others more than you did The Three Body
Problem. I've added The Witcher to the ever expanding list, as I loved the Third game!

I finished How are you going to save yourself by JM Holmes this morning, next up Cry of the Wild by Charles Foster. Been a
Bit slower on the reading side with FFXVI occupying my time.

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Thanks, that is excellent news! I do want to see where this goes, but I was a bit worried that I might fall off. Got the second book lined up right after Baptism.

Been dragging a bit on the reading front myself lately and discovered to my horror that I'm currently two books behind on this year's reading challenge! (<gasp>) Time to drop everything and get to reading

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Done with "Baptism of Fire" and the Witcher novels continue to be my preferred way of following Geralt of Rivia. Have not yet bothered with the third season of the Netflix show and I probably won't until I'm done with the books either. BoF wasn't the strongest in the series, though, but I still enjoyed it and I really liked a couple of the new characters that were introduced in this one. I gave it 3.5 stars in my Goodreads review.

I realise it's been a while since I read a non-fiction book, so I'm bumping the follow-up to "The Three-Body Problem" down a notch and will tackle "Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope" by Megan Phelps-Roper first. Phelps-Roper grew up in the notorious Westboro Baptist Church and this book chronicles how she got out.

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Just finished "Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope" by Megan Phelps-Roper. A very fascinating and illuminating read which also tugs quite hard on the heartstrings every now and then. The book, and the author herself, is a true testament to the fact that keeping an open mind, listening to other people's thoughts, ideas and beliefs while also examining and re-examining your own thoughts, ideas and beliefs can only make you grow as human being and is never a bad thing. I gave it 4.5 stars in my Goodreads review.

Next, it's back to Cixin Liu's "Remembrance of Earth's Past" series, with the second book, "The Dark Forest"

FuriousMachine

ThinkDonald

Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo and don't think I'll be reading any other book for the next 6 months.

ThinkDonald

LN78

Decided to read "American Prometheus" before seeing "Oppenheimer". Fascinating stuff.

LN78

Cordyceps

Finished "In the Miso Soup" by Ryu (the other) Murakami and feel compelled to grab the associated follow up novel ("Piercing") before starting another book (bought three others w Miso, but really want more from him NOW)

Cordyceps

ThinkDonald

LN78 wrote:

Decided to read "American Prometheus" before seeing "Oppenheimer". Fascinating stuff.

This is next on my reading list. Curious to see how it is after watching the film

ThinkDonald

LN78

@ThinkDonald Very good thus far. I've just got to the aftermath of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. It's not a heavyweight read by any stretch of the imagination - I was a little bit worried that it might get bogged down in the scientific side of things (for which I have little understanding) but it's firmly rooted in the man's personality and politics.

LN78

FuriousMachine

@Cordyceps Just looked up "In the Miso soup" and that one seems to be right up my alley! Added it to the top of my reading list where it will battle it out with Richard Matheson's "Stir of Echoes" for my next read. Thanks for the tip!

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Boy were you right about the second book of Cixin Liu's "Remembrance of Earth's Past" series being better than the first one! Whereas I (lightly) considered quitting the series after "The Three-Body Problem", there were times when I simply could not put "The Dark Forest" down. It was simply packed to the gills with fascinating concepts and great characters that I just had to find out more about. Luo Ji's journey. The Wallfacers and Wallbreakers. The encounter with the Trisolaran probe. And, of course, the return of the unflappable Da Shi, which I noticed will be played by Benedict Wong in the Netflix series and that is almost a perfect match of my mental image of the character. Just brilliant stuff and it was an easy five stars in my Goodreads review.

Before I continue on with the third book in the trilogy, I will check out Ryu Murakami's "In the Miso soup", which was brought to my attention by @Cordyceps in this very thread. Looks very interesting and it's been a while since I read a thriller/horror novel, so should be a nice little palate cleanser

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine Glad you enjoyed The Dark Forest, after your initial disappointment with The Three Body Problem. Certainly has some fascinating concepts and that carries through to the final book. I'm currently reading Japan Story by Christopher Harding, detailing the nations history from 1850, to the present day.

@Cordyceps will check out this book thanks for bringing it to our attention.

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Thank the heavens that I almost exclusively read ebooks these days, or that fate could definitely have befallen me

Japan Story sounds interesting. I'm interested in quite a few areas of history, but find that too many books on the subject gets too dry and bogged down in dates. As a result I typically embrace historical fiction like Ken Follet's novels instead. I think my mind needs a central storyline to hang on to, otherwise it gets confused Will definitely try this one. though

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

So, that was quick Finished "In the Miso soup" by Ryu Murakami.
A brisk but, at times, uncomfortable read. I would compare it a bit to Bret Easton Ellis' "American Psycho" in that it is quite a fascinating character study with some highly graphic violence thrown in. There was also some interesting social commentary on late 20th century Japan that kept me interested throughout, but, when it comes down to it, the overall feel was a bit too cold and clinical for me. I gave it 3.5 stars in my Goodreads review. I will check out more of this author's work, though (and I'm also reminded that I need to read more of that "other" Murakami, as well )

Now it's on to "Death's End", the final book in Cixin Liu's "Remembrance of Earth's Past" saga

Edited on by FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

Recently finished Japan Story by Christopher Harding and just this minute finished The Japanese Myths by Joshusa Frydman. Next up to finish this unofficial trilogy on Japan is Four Seasons in Japan by Nick Bradley. After that I'll either read a few smaller books or jump back into Sci-Fi & Fantasy territory!

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

Finished Cixin Liu's "Remembrance of Earth's Past" series, and while I felt the first book was somewhat lacking, the second and third books were nothing short of epic. In fact, I would submit that "epic" is almost too small a word to describe this series. Highly recommended for fans of somewhat weighty sci-fi. I gave it 5 stars in my Goodreads review.

Also read the short novella "The Thing Under Your Bed" by Stephen Kozeniewski, which was a fun little story about a shrewd little girl and her stuffed bunny vs The Thing under her bed. A perfect bedtime story to read to your kids. As a non-parent myself, I can't be sure that traumatizing kids is something parents are looking to do, but this would be a decent way to do it, I guess.

Keeping it relatively short with my next book as well: "Stir of Echoes" by Richard Matheson is up next

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine Glad you stuck with it and finished the trilogy.

As an uncle I love to traumatize the kids when they stay. Taking their phones off them will always be the number one way to do that though, over any story.

MightyDemon82

Elodin

@FuriousMachine Your comment about The thing under the bed, reminded me of a great picture book story "The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed" It is more of an adult read than for kids. It has a great twist and some visual ques when you reread it. It is by my favorite author Patrick Rothfuss.

Elodin

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Yeah, I'm glad I did, too, and you should have some credit for that. I did want to finish the series even before you encouraged me by informing me of the quality uptick in book 2 and 3, but it's not entirely implausible that I would have postponed them and bumped up other books until I one day found myself watching the Netflix show and then just dropping them entirely. I think that would have been the poorer scenario of the two I'm still carrying Cixin Liu's universe in my head and that is rare these days (The Expanse was the last sci-fi series to have that effect on me).

And, taking their phones away? Isn't that considered child abuse in this day and age?

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic