Forums

Topic: 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Posts 1 to 20 of 25

Tasuki

It's that time again. The Winter Olympics have officially started and all eyes of the world will be on Korea for the next few weeks.

Any events you guys looking forward to? Feel free to discuss the Olympics here but please keep the discussions to the sports and games themselves do not bring up any politics or anything of that nature.

Thanks for understanding

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

i have to admit i do enjoy watching the sledging events for some reason

although i do wish the BBC would get some better presenters for their sports the ones they have now are terrible plus they focus more on them than the events themselves

and watching Balding host is like watching a dead fish, still it's not as bad as the way Channel 4 handled the last Paralympics

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Th3solution

Looking forward to speed skating, especially short track, the ski jump, and I forget what they call the ski jumping thing where they do all those twists in the air, freestyle I think it’s called. And of course the snowboard half pipe!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo We have no winter sports stars to commentate on the tv so the coverage in comparison to the summer olympics is pants. Plus the beeb has Michael Johnson who imo is like John Madden of athletics. So it will always fail by comparison.

Im looking forward to speed skating and the best sport ever... Curling.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JJ-firl

Cheering for Seppe Smits! Belgium's snowboard pride made it to the finals of the slopestyle event. Looking forward to that.

I also like Biathlon as it is a very complete sport. High intensity langlaufing combined with precision shooting sessions. From full action mode to zen focus is a very hard thing to do.

Edited on by JJ-firl

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Th3solution

@Tasuki @themcnoisy I can’t tell if you guys are kidding about the curling. Do people actually watch that? To me it looks like shuffleboard, which of course is popular amongst all the geriatrics on cruise ships and at retirement homes, but hardly worthy of an Olympic event. Almost as bad as synchronized swimming or speed walking being in the Olympics.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tasuki

@Th3solution I am kinda joking kinda of not if that makes sense. It's actually a pretty popular sport but the joke is that you can only watch it during the Olympics. I do actually watch it when I can.

My Backlog

Kidfried

Can't wait for the ice skating 5000m tomorrow. Just looking at the athletes competing, it's going to be a very wild ride.

Unfortunately I've missed out on some great stuff already today, as I was helping a friend moving to his new place. It's just too bad life goes on, while the Olympics are happening.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Th3solution I like watching curling the same as watching snooker, darts, etc. And like those sports, it's fun, but I'm not convinced is should be part of the Olympics.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Kidfried Yeah that's the one thing I hate about the Olympics, there is so much I want to watch but with work I just don't get any time really to watch it. Even on my days off, I am usually busy with other things.

My Backlog

Elodin

I don't understand the guidelines for what country you can represent. It seems some are representing countries that there grandparents came from? Oh well, as long as I see some good Downhill racing the Olympics will be golden...or maybe silver, hopefully not bronze.

Elodin

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Seriously joking.

Kidfried

Speed skating was a great rollercoaster to watch, with an olympic record as icing on the cake.

Would love to see more, but it appears they're broadcasting less disciplines than I had hoped for. I can't watch the luge going on right now unfortunately.

Kidfried

RR529

Don't like it as much as the Summer games, but there are a few events I like watching.

Caught a few Curling matches, lots of Luge (so much so I'm kinda burnt out on it), and Ski Jump.

I really liked the snowboarding stuff from what I've seen, but I don't really get a chance to see it because NBC saves it for primetime, and no one else in the household is that interested in it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

@RR529 You can always download the NBC app on your phone or if you have one a tablet and watch it that way.

That's actually what I did for the Summer games a couple years ago, but now the allure of the Switch is too strong, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

themcnoisy

The slalom is stupid. They should ban hitting the poles, its like a game of hitting poles and looks absolutely ridiculous. Quality from the dude whos won 2 gold though hes easy the best in the sport and is a class act.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.