Forums

Topic: What PS5 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 801 to 820 of 3,440

Ralizah

@nessisonett Yeah, the wack physics means I'll probably never get the new Monkey Ball. Physics-based platformers that screw up the movement just feel horrible. That was the worst part of Freedom Planet: it wanted to be 2D Sonic game with an actual plot, and it did a lot right in that regard, but without proper in-game physics, it just felt wrong.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah It’s a weird one to explain. My only explanation is they reused Banana Blitz’ code, which was designed around motion controls. It just feels… off.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

I just beat the final boss in F.I.S.T. It’s 2:40am. My brain hurts. What a game.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer well done buddy. I really like the look of it myself, it’s part of the reason I’m gonna give metroidvanias another go actually.

**** DLC!

Voltan

I’ve been playing some more Scarlet Nexus. So far it does most of the things I like about the JRPG genre and I’m enjoying it.
When they showed the first trailers and previews I wasn’t sure about the weird enemy design but I’m all into it now.

One thing I’m not sure about at this point is that I don’t see much point in switching party members. You can have two members with you in battle but more importantly you can borrow abilities from four members and they don’t need to be the ones fighting.
I suppose how the characters fight themselves makes some sort of difference too but for now it doesn’t seem very significant.

Anyways, good stuff so far - hopefully it can keep that up

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan Did you play Code Vein? I was wondering how you’d compare the two games.
I haven’t played either one, but I had interest to try Code Vein but just have never gotten around to it. When I saw comparisons of Scarlet Nexus to it then I thought maybe it was the better game to spend time on.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution Nope, I’m barely familiar with the name tbh
Scarlet Nexus was recommended to me by my brother’s fiancée - she beat it on Xbox right about the time it went on sale on PSN so I bought it. It’s on Game Pass now too, btw.

Edit: a quick google search tells me Code Vain is close to being a soulslike. Scarlet Nexus is definitely nothing like that. The combat is more like FF7R with a bit of DMC maybe. Very action oriented and not very hard but a lot of fun so far.
They do look similar in the visual style though.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

KilloWertz

@Voltan It makes a difference sometimes at least. I'm about 7-8 hours in now and there's a "teammate" you have at one point where their power basically slows down time. There's the occasional Other that can move really fast and the only way to consistently hit it is to use that character's power (I forget the character's name and power at the moment).

I'm playing it on Xbox as well on my Series X. It's "free", so might as well even though I was going to buy it for my PS5 at some point before they added it to Game Pass.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Voltan

@KilloWertz But the thing is - assigning the powers to R1 + face buttons is independent of who’s actually in battle.
I currently have 4 teammates, I can only have 2 of them with me on the battlefield but I can use the powers of all 4. It doesn’t make much difference which 2 of the 4 are with me in the field.

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan Yeah, I guess the comparisons were drawn based on aesthetics and the anime vibe that both games have.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution The aesthetic is really cool IMO. The only thing I noticed is a surprisingly short pop-in distance but otherwise it’s all very smooth and sharp.

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution There is a demo available for Scarlet Nexus. I was intrigued by the bizarro enemy designs before I tried the demo, and quite enjoyed what I played, enough to warrant a purchase at a later date. One thing I didn't like was the music which I thought was awful, so much so that I had to turn it off in the menu, then the cut scene that plays when you complete the demo was entirely muted.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Voltan

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder To add to this: the demo features a couple scenarios from an early part of the game but tweaked to feature more abilities and stronger enemies. It won’t tell you much about the game’s story but will give you an idea of how the combat works - it was enough to get me interested.

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore Thanks! Seemed like a good idea to announce it at the time. I was at once very excited and very exhausted. The final boss (actually the entire final stretch) of this game is something else…I really can’t say enough good things about it as a metroidvania. It’s pretty textbook but everything’s just done extremely well. Be prepared for a serious challenge though!!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer so… as ever with me, I’m not gonna rush into it. As I’ll be new to the genre I’m gonna start with the Guacamele games as a lot of people have said they’re a good entry-point. Then once I’ve got those out’ve the way I’ll gauge where to go next. I have a few and am keeping an eye out for if [em]F.I.S.T.]/em] goes on sale.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I find the Souls games somewhat metroidvania-like, what with the way in which you explore and unlock the world through shortcuts and backtracking and how everything kind of folds in on itself. Combine that with the general challenging nature of them and I think you’re going to feel right at home. I’ve yet to play Guacamele, and am by no means an expert on the genre, but the bunch I’ve played have definitely had some obvious parallels. I think I quite enjoy them 😄

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer the only one I’ve tried was Hollow Knight a few years back and it didn’t click… but I am far open to things these days. I reckon they’ll make a nice change if I can squeeze maybe two in per year. Really excited for F.I.S.T. and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night in particular.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I started Hollow Knight a while ago and was enjoying it but haven’t finished it yet either. With your bent towards souls-likes don’t let Salt and Sanctuary pass you by. Think I’d call it a souls-like metroidvania. Bloodstained is on the list. A good sale will tip the scales for me.

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer yeah good shout, I did pick up Salt & Sanctuary on sale a while back, so that may well be the first one I play after Guacamelee. I also really like the look of Blasphemous too, that looks quite soulsy.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore Played Blasphemous not too long ago, and I liked it. The combat was decent, although not as intricate or deep as the Souls games. I didn't find it overly difficult apart from a couple of bosses. Loved the setting, music and the designs of the enemies/characters.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic