Forums

Topic: What PS5 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,981 to 2,000 of 3,568

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah it’s obviously akin to sacrilege to people like us… but I’d rather sol just play DS3 than play none of them at all. Still some of the extremely subtle storytelling of DS3 was such a joy for those of us who had poured over the item descriptions and lore videos of DS1.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution well I couldn’t recommend DS1 high enough… but for you to actually get the most out the ‘pay-offs’ from DS3, you’d probably also have to commit to watching 100’s of hours of lore theory vids too 😅

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I get that a lot! Dark Souls is worth playing just for level design, which has still yet to be beaten imo.

@colonelkilgore The pay offs from Dark Souls 3 are like a fan boys wet dream. 💦

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder personally my favourite From Soft world/level design is actually Bloodborne but I certainly get why so many people favour the design of the original Dark Souls. It’s definitely my favourite design of the Souls trilogy for sure.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I think overall Bloodborne is the better game, but for me it just falls short on the interconnecting level design of Dark Souls.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

I felt like maybe I wanted to dive into a new Soulsborne game, but since I also had an itch for a JRPG, in a spur-of-moment I threw my planned schedule to the wind and loaded up Code Vein.

Well, it was disappointing, to say the least...

This is payback for me not liking Ghost Of Tsushima isn't it @Th3solution?

I do know what you mean as a little confusing at first from how different it is.

The blood code system is just a way for you being able to "class change" or re-speccing whenever ya see fit and switch your stats around.

Seeing as when you level up you only increase your hp and don't pump up stats I thought it was neat idea to make you try other playstyles and weapons (as playing as the different codes/classes does let you learn most the skills that "class" has so you can then use them later on for any other class that meets the stat requirements for the varying skills).

Honestly the menus were the worst part of Code Vein imo. It's rather cluttered and messy. That and combat is undeniably a bit floaty. But I thought it wasn't bad for a first attempt from a dev team that typically makes the God Eater games (Anime Monster Hunter).

I quite liked the story even if it is typical JRPG flare. The going into people's memories and learning more about certain bosses, party members or other background characters (whilst getting a new Blood Code/Class) was a neat idea and a few were even a little touching.

Oh and in regards to Dark Souls. I personally found DS 1 Remastered rather dated (and too easy) myself when I played it last year (and partially the year before too).

I think you'd find it just fine though Sol seeing as you adored Demon's Souls. That's not me saying you're bad or it's a baby game or nuthin'... Just it doesn't play as nicely as DS3 does and the AI ain't up to snuff.

Hell I've been back to DS 2: Scholar Of The First Sin more times then DS1 too (despite loving it at the time). Same with Demon's (albeit the PS3 version that I replayed 3 years back). I personally found it a cake walk (baring that stupid blue dragon).

I will echo Johnny and Col and say DS' world design is second to none though with how everything links together 😄

Though... Lost Izalith is woefully designed.

Didn't think much of the Artorias DLC though and that was me playing and seeing it for the first time ever.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah I’m definitely in the minority… as is normally the case. It’s lucky that I’m so anti-social I guess 🤣

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @JohnnyShoulder @HallowMoonshadow You all almost have me convinced to try DS1 first, although I’ll need to find a copy of it out there. Or I might just take obvious path and just play Elden Ring for my next Souls game.

And Foxy, it is absolutely me getting back at you! Ghost of Tsushima is a masterpiece! And Nier Automata is a a transcendent work of genius! 😜

Joking aside, I think maybe the flexibility of the blood code system and the re-speccing of the stats, the scaling, the blood veils and how they interact with the whole thing, etc…. I think that my Souls-like brain is trained into doing a certain build in order to overpower for survival, and I couldn’t get a grip on how to approach the game that way with so many variables. And yeah, the menus don’t do the game any favors.

But like I say, maybe it will get a re-visit someday when I feel more motivated to invest the effort into trying to wrap my head around it all. There’s just a weird mental block when I tried it.

In the meantime, I’ve got plenty of gaming diversions.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

And Foxy, it is absolutely me getting back at you! Ghost of Tsushima is a masterpiece! And Nier Automata is a a transcendent work of genius! 😜

I KNEW IT!

After my Divinity Original Sin I woes I'd recommend going in order... But then again jumping from Yakuza Kiwami to Yakuza Like A Dragon has been wonderful.

So you do what you feel like! I ain't ya mom and I can't account for you either. If you can enjoy Elden Ring and then go back to the older games, blemishes and all and enjoy them none the less... Then go for it.

I will say though Dark Souls 3 is a fantastic time though with some great bosses

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

colonelkilgore

@HallowMoonshadow hold up a minute… you didnt like Nier Automata!?!? Dayum… I though that was the one piece of media entertainment that transcended subjective opinion. 😅

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Nope. I thought It was philosophical poppycock @colonelkilgore

9S was an annoying brat of a character that I was sick to the back teeth with and I hated the whole having to play through the game again but as him for very little payoff before then playing as... A2? I dunno I forget the names of them all.

Most of the side quests were an absolute slog and I didn't think much of the credits sequence either.

Sold it and never looked back.

A shame as I did quite like it at first.

The soundtrack was something special. That's the only thing I'll give it 😉

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore There's two, as I started it when it was on Game Pass and never went back to it after about an hour or so. I had been wanting to give it a second chance as I've ended up loving games I didn't like the first time around when I tried the game or demo (Control, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and Scarlet Nexus come to mind), but then I read about how they handled the endings to the game.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore Why yes I am... after I had to look it up.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha maybe @colonelkilgore. But If all liked the same things it'd be a very boring world too

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Bloodborne’s a game I have problems with but the atmosphere’s brilliant. I would definitely put my vote towards Dark Souls 1 having my favourite map though, it’s just so satisfyingly interconnected! Up there with the Metroid Prime games for my favourite map design in gaming.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Thrillho That’s another one up there with tightly designed maps! This is a whole topic on its own to be honest, there’s so many great maps in gaming like Shadow Moses Island or Spencer Mansion too.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic