Forums

Topic: What PS5 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 3,505

render

@NedStarksGhost Yeah that's some good info. Is any of that similar to how Halo works or is that a Destiny thing?

render

NedStarksGhost

@velio84 you're welcome!

@render thank you. It's purely a Destiny thing. Prior to Halo Infinite, Halo was similar to Call of Duty, single player linear campaign with a multiplayer PvP mode. Halo Infinite is still similar but the single player has an open world format now.

Destiny is more designed to be played with others, I think. Arguably the best content in Destiny are the Raids which are 6 player PvE. It does also has a PvP mode as well called the Crucible.

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

render

@velio84 That’s even less of a game that Godfall Challenger Edition. I guess it might have been possible to continue with the free version by playing the campaign but they removed that recently didn’t they?

render

nessisonett

@velio84 I played a whole campaign and over 100 hours without paying a penny. Somewhat confused as to what they’ve removed in the last couple of years!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@velio84 @nessisonett @render
Destiny 2 first began vaulting content in late 2020 with the removal of five destinations, seven strikes, 11 Crucible maps and five raids. As of 22nd February, 2022, Forsaken's campaign, the Tangled Shore destination and the bulk of Year 4's seasonal content - including the fan-favourite Presage and Harbinger missions - will be removed from the game.

I played through the main story which probs took about 20 - 30 hours, which I think was upto the Forsaken stuff.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder so, as someone who doesn’t play these games, why do they remove stuff? Why not just add new stuff, keeping the old stuff also?

**** DLC!

kyleforrester87

I believe there is still a lot of free content in Destiny these days

It’s lots of fun but I imagine it’s a bit hard to get back into now, what with everything that’s been added and removed.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore ... with Bungie saying the plans helped provide "a great deal of technical 'breathing room' that the team has devoted to important improvements to the Destiny experience".

The arrival of the 'content vault' has seen Bungie reintroduce things as well, with the Cosmodrome and Vault of Glass returning this past year, and plans to bring another raid, two Crucible maps from Destiny 2 and one other from the original Destiny to the game from Year 5 onwards.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder cheers, still don’t fully comprehend the reasons though (guess that’s why I ain’t a game developer). To my ignorance, it just feels like… well that particular content is up and running, let’s just add more, rather than let’s remove some so that we can add more.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Apfelschteiner

I have a lot of PS5 games, but no PS5 and also rarely find the time or inclination to play my PS4 even though it should have been a great time to attack my backlog in the last few years. I have come to the conclusion that even if Sony went out of business tomorrow, I would still be all set for games for a few years yet. When I finally do get my hands on a PS5 I will be playing Astro Bot, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Lost Judgment.

Apfelschteiner

render

@JohnnyShoulder @velio84 @colonelkilgore I agree in that it seems really strange to remove content, especially if that content is important for someones understanding of the game. That would be like diving into a single player game half way through with none of the upgrades you could have gained and no idea what you are doing or why.

Surely if they are looking to grow the player base then they should be making it more accessible to new players and keeping at least the central part of the campaign, instead perhaps jettisoning bits of DLC if they aren't pertinent to that. Knowing all this makes me even less likely to play the game whereas new content should do the opposite.

render

NedStarksGhost

@render @colonelkilgore @velio84 @JohnnyShoulder

Not saying I agree with removal of content, I think they should find a work around. But I kind of understand why it's removed, to an extent. The game runs a live world which is shared. With new content comes a change to how the world is (such as characters leaving or new enemies overrunning planets). Some of the campaign objectives require you to complete objectives in that world (such as take part in live events with random players). So if new expansions change the shape of the locations to fit with new story content, I can see why legacy campaign stuff wouldn't be possible to do.

However I think they should find a solution. I don't know how difficult this would be as I am not a game developer, but I'd like to believe they could implement some servers to run legacy worlds and campaigns. The only reasoning I can think of why they wouldn't do it is that the number of servers they'd require would be extremely costly.

Booted it up last night myself to try again and forgot just how overwhelming it is. Going to watch a tutorial and try and catch up on stuff, find the universe they've built and the gameplay fantastic. Just wish it was way more accessible than it currently is!

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

colonelkilgore

@NedStarksGhost ahh that does make some sense in fairness… like you say they, you’d like to think there would be some kind of workaround (like a ‘time-travel’ function or something).

**** DLC!

NedStarksGhost

@JohnnyShoulder very good point! A thought I had was perhaps optional download files so you can add early story content and delete when finished. But again, I can imagine it would be difficult to implement as the world is built around being shared world with live events and stuff... I'm sure it's doable but that would cost money!

NedStarksGhost

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah hadn’t really considered the install size… that alone probably qualifies me for a job working on Call of Duty I reckon 🤣

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

render

@JohnnyShoulder @NedStarksGhost Good points you make about the story and the game size, I'd not factored in that it would take an increasing amount of disc space to make all the extra content available.

I was just reading the comments under the Witch Queen expansion article and hadn't actually appreciated that this would be paid content that would be being removed. So it's all stuff that people have parted with good money for and will potentially never see again. Damn that's a raw deal.

Even though I like to play as many different games as I can I will still every now and then go back to something I've played before just to remember how good it was. I think I'd feel pretty befuddled if I booted up a game I owned, started a new game only to find that the story and characters were different than I remember, plus all that extra stuff I'd paid for was no longer there.

Guess we'd better get used to that experience though if Sony are looking at producing more games like this 🤷‍♂️

render

Thrillho

There’s too many people in this convo to tag now but I guess part of it would be that having so much content can end up spreading the remaining player base thinly across everything that’s there.

Not a problem if you’re in an established clan but a bit rubbish if you’re playing solo and looking for people to play with and are sat in an empty lobby as no one plays that anymore noob.

I used to love GTA online when I played with friends. I haven’t touched it in years but even then trying to find other people for some game modes would feel a bit futile.

Thrillho

Thrillho

I guess that’s part of the problem with these “games as a service” after a year or two; are you still trying to entice new players or keep a hold of the long term players?

I don’t play many of those sorts of games, particularly so long after launch, but guess it’s hard to do both things easily/well.

On a related note:

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1488805607431884802?s=21

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic