Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 341 to 360 of 2,757

Voltan

@velio84 I expected this one to be fixed but since it releases kinda early, I’ll wait a few hours and let Reddit tell whether it breaks anything

Voltan

render

@Voltan Well done on getting that far, and great perseverance that you went through it twice. I’m still hoping I see that far someday.

I did my normal run from 1-3 again but had to use all my healing items on the run up to the signal tower. Those damn lasers and the onslaught of spinning things took me down a bit but I had a full health bar going into the boss. Got it down 1 1/2 before I stupidly fell off the platform, managed to grab a grapple point only to grapple straight into a yellow beam from one of those eye things. I had a level 1 hollowseeker with void beam alt-fire which was awesome on those drones and I managed to take care of loads of things with it on the way there. I probably should have swapped it for the level 11 carbine though but that only had shockstream and I though I might be better with the void beam. Guess not. Will try again tomorrow.

render

Voltan

@render Biome 6 seems to be more about small steps than others. Got the last traversal tool on one run - never need to go into that kill room again. Opened the vault on another - never need to go get the key again (that's another part with multiple big bad guys). Next time it's more or less straight to the boss (might spend some extra time to power up in biome 4 though).
If I can get the right gun on the way, I should be able to beat it next time

Voltan

render

@Voltan sounds like I’m really going to enjoy that when I get there then 😆.

In your experience does the gun make the biggest difference or is it the other stuff e.g. items / parasites? Do you gamble with the malignant stuff? I’ve always tried to avoid it unless it’s moderate and not gamble on things but just buy health items from the fabricators. I’ve also favoured sticking with carbine and hollowseeker even if it means taking the lower proficiency weapon. I wonder if I need to change tactics a bit and start going for different weapons.

render

Voltan

@render Using one type of weapon lets you unlock more traits on it. Weapon traits are super important.
On the other hand, it means you're not unlocking traits for other weapons so you're screwed if you don't get the one.
I guess some runs will be about leveling up weapons while others will be about progressing further? I don't know, I'm kinda wingin' it
I do like my hollowseeker though!

Voltan

Scratchy_Seal

@Voltan well done man that’s great. I feel like I’ve hit a wall with biome 3. Only had one stab at the boss so probably another 2 or 3 attempts before I understand the phases fully. Fingers crossed I get it out the way in the next few days.

Just out of interest, once through biome 3, do you always automatically start on biome 4 each run or can you run from 1 to gear up?

Scratchy_Seal

PossibLeigh

@Scratchy_Seal You automatically start in biome 4. Your proficiency starts at 15. How do I know? Cause I just got there, baby!

After all the update woes, last night I sailed through biomes 1 - 3. Didn't have a problem with the boss in 3 at all, but what an epic fight!

After the story beats after biome 3, it's safe to say I'm deeply in love with this game again.

Though I do wonder if they have tweaked the difficulty via spawn rates for gear to make it easier. The game seemed more generous than usual. Maybe I just had a lucky run.

Edited on by PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

render

Wooohoooo I’ve done it, finally managed to string a run together and beat the boss in biome 3. It was a case of bad parenting though but I gave the kids their iPads while I thought I’d go and just start a run. A few hours later and I’d got further than I thought so just went for it.

@Voltan cheers for the further tips. I went through a few different guns and unlocked a couple of traits but in the end I stuck with the trusty carbine with a blast shell alt-fire. What made it for me was that I had a few 10% weapon damage increases plus a parasite that gave me 5% extra damage per 200 obolites carried and managed to hold onto 600 by the time I got there.

@Scratchy_Seal you’ll do it, just keep going. I honestly thought I’d reached a limit on my skill level and I wasn’t going to get further than this but it just all came together on that one run out of many.

It’s really hit home how much I love this game. Each run is different and you never know what cards you are going to get dealt, but you just have to roll the dice and go for it. Sometimes it works out, most not, but when it does it’s the most awesome thing.

Will see what happens later with this patch and perhaps I’ll carry on.

render

render

@PossibLeigh Ha ha awesome!! Glad you made it and joined the party in biome 4. It’s gonna be fun. Also glad your experienced less issues. This game deserves to be enjoyed so let’s hope this patch later sorts out any remaining crashes etc.

render

PossibLeigh

@render One if the best artifacts, I think, is the one that increases integrity eveytime a malfunction is added or removed from the suit.

I started out picking up everything, malignant or not. Then changed to collecting nothing malignant. Now I'm collecting malignant items if it properly aids me. Generally, I've found there's only a few malfunctions that really cause major inconvenience. That 'take damage on picking up items' one is the worst.

Edited on by PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

@render Congrats, buddy! I'm sure your kids are bursting with pride!

I too favour the Carbine. So far, the only weapon that matches it in my eyes is the Rotgland lobber. Love that you can tag an enemy and then just avoid it till the gland does it's poisonous work. Although the Hollowseeker with Waves is pretty bad ass too.

Edited on by PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

Voltan

@PossibLeigh I don’t think I’ve ever seen that artifact! Sounds great!

New patch is out btw. I’ll update, backup my saves but will play later in the evening.
Edit: twitter said it's out but it doesn't seem to be there for me yet

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Voltan

@PossibLeigh
It's also kinda important to remember that if you already have 2 malfunctions, the next time you pick up a malignant item, you can get a "critical malfunction" which destroys a random artifact or parasite - I think it could also decrease max integrity but I'm not 100% sure.

Voltan

PossibLeigh

@Voltan oh, definitely! I should have mentioned that. On the whole though, I don't find them too bad.

PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

@Voltan I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about a new patch.

PossibLeigh

Voltan

@PossibLeigh Yeah, I'm definitely not avoiding malignant items at all times - most malfunctions aren't too bad or too hard to get rid of. Worst case scenario - you die and start again
If I feel I already have a strong enough build to progress further than before - that's maybe when I stop taking risks (although I'd definitely still do it if I had that artifact you mentioned).

Voltan

Voltan

Update is live now, 1.066 GB download

Voltan

PossibLeigh

@Voltan I won't be able to play until later. Let us know if it's all good!

PossibLeigh

Voltan

@PossibLeigh I'm not playing it now either
Gotta do some shopping and grind some Kombat League first
I'll be back to Atropos after dinner.

Voltan

render

@PossibLeigh @Voltan sounds like in general I should be taking more of a risk on picking up malignant items. I’ve been generally avoiding them after the first biome but perhaps the gamble is worth it in a lot of cases.

render

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic