Forums

Topic: ps5 cant get 120 hz in cold war

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

flash1979

i have change all the right settings on the ps5 that videos have said to do but still nothing i have the following monitor g27vq-27-144hz-curved-monitor-xg27vq?gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXqWLIEc1RLt48nfMKRTrpJh2IOEP3_OU8SNK86li1aeCoIYa6Gs8GxoC it has display port 1.2 and hdmi 1,4 i can get 144hz on the display port but connecting the hdm1.4 to the ps5 i cant get 120hz i think the monitor locks the hdm 1.4 to 60hz so am wondering is there a active adapter so i can connect my ps5 to the display port so i can get 120hz at 1080p as thus is why i got this monitor to get the 120hz for ps5 thanks in advice

flash1979

Mega-Gazz

flash1979 wrote:

i have change all the right settings on the ps5 that videos have said to do but still nothing i have the following monitor g27vq-27-144hz-curved-monitor-xg27vq?gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXqWLIEc1RLt48nfMKRTrpJh2IOEP3_OU8SNK86li1aeCoIYa6Gs8GxoC it has display port 1.2 and hdmi 1,4 i can get 144hz on the display port but connecting the hdm1.4 to the ps5 i cant get 120hz i think the monitor locks the hdm 1.4 to 60hz so am wondering is there a active adapter so i can connect my ps5 to the display port so i can get 120hz at 1080p as thus is why i got this monitor to get the 120hz for ps5 thanks in advice

You need HDMI 2.1 on all cables and devices in order to get 120 FPS.

Mega-Gazz

Chevyguy

I changed my ps5 to performance mode and that enables 120 in cod black ops, I'm using a pixio 1440p 144hz monitor with hdmi 2.0

Chevyguy

Mega-Gazz

Chevyguy wrote:

I changed my ps5 to performance mode and that enables 120 in cod black ops, I'm using a pixio 1440p 144hz monitor with hdmi 2.0

Again, the specs are important. You can’t do 4k/120 on an HDMI 2.0 wire, but IIRC you can do lower rez @ 120. According this site you can squeeze 4k/120 out of an HDMI 2.0 cable if you force HDR off and set 4:2:0 chroma.

...but the original poster said specifically HDMI 1.4 which can’t get 120 frames.

Mega-Gazz

Chevyguy

@Mega-Gazz in game settings it won't let you change refresh rate mine was locked at 60, I went to ps5 settings and changed to performance mode not game default and rebooted game and was 120, 1.4 should support 1080/120

Chevyguy

BAMozzy

When you connect a Display to a device, the two communicate and tell each other what they are, what specs etc. If your display doesn't support 120fps, regardless of whether HDMI2.0 has the bandwidth to support 120fps at a lower (up to 1440p) resolution. A LOT of TV's only have 60hz panels because they were NOT built for PC's - the only device offering more than 60fps at the time. They were primarily built for watching TV, movies that run at 24-30hz and 'fixed' with their refresh rate too. Its why Devs have aimed for 30fps (TV refreshes twice per frame) or 60fps (TV refreshes with every frame) it the flat screen era.

If the Display 'supports' 120fps, it will tell the Console and you 'should' be able to select the option in game. You may not always 'see' 120 frames either as some displays may well accept 120frames, but only display 60 of them if the panel only refreshes at 60hz. That's not necessarily a 'bad' thing as you still benefit from a lower input lag as the game itself is updating 120 times a second, responding to your input 120 times per second but you are only seeing every other frame.

Just because you have HDMI 2.0 (or even 1.4) which may have sufficient bandwidth, if the Display tells the device it doesn't support 120hz, then it will not offer 120hz. VRR can be added to HDMI 2.0 (for 45-60fps) but not all HDMI 2.0 TV's support it. In theory, every HDMI 2.0 port can support ARC too but it TV manufacturers opt to save a bit of money on the HDMI controller (the part on the board where the external port is connected to) because people don't need to send Audio to multiple receivers from their TV. Just because a HDMI port 'can' support numerous features, doesn't mean that the manufacturer added those features to every port or even built the display to support those features - like using fixed 60hz panels for example...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Mega-Gazz

@flash1979 also check out the lastest DF video, they discuss specifically Cold War on ps5 only having the 120fps option when you select your default option in the system menu as performance or some *****, and even then it is greyed out but enabled.

Mega-Gazz

Hairtrixhertz

@flash1979 i have the xg32vq and the manual says hdmi is 2.0. But I still can't get cold War ty display 120hz despite the hours of tinkering with in game and ps5 settings with all the videos and hints and tips online. It's super frustrating that asus, a gaming monitor with claimed 144hz support at 1080p, has such terrible specification support aside from its sub par features. I was wondering if you found any info on 5G m the compatibility with ps5 yet? For 120hz? I have ordered an hdmi to displayport active converter so I will soon find out it this works or not. Have you tried yet?

Yea, no

Chevyguy

@Hairtrixhertz that's odd my cheapo pixio runs black ops at 120hz. Set my ps5 to performance and in game im pretty sure it defaulted to 120 mode its grayed out. Even tested with fps counter on the monitor

Chevyguy

Hairtrixhertz

@Chevyguy
Apparently through research, not all 2.0 hdmi monitors support the faster refresh rate. If freesync has anything to do with it, my monitor only supports freesync on either displayport or mini displayport inputs. Manual specifically claims that the hdmi port cannot, although it also states that it is gives hdmi 2.0 support. It's really confusing especially since I'm not too savvy on the terms and features. I should have waited till the ps5 came out and done more research, but I thought I had enough to make a decision on a pre planned compatible gaming monitor such as a seemingly reputable brand name like Asus, at least so I thought

Yea, no

Chevyguy

@Hairtrixhertz that sucks one of the best brands out there yet my $300 one can. I jumped the gun too idk customer service is nonexistent nowadays. Maybe it only does 1080p 60 on hdmi and you have to be on display port since ps5 really needs to support 1440p natively. Just baffled that some games run at 1440 and upscaled yet your options are 720,1080 and 4k just because the majority are tv gamers, sony doesn't care about us monitor gang

Edited on by Chevyguy

Chevyguy

ZeroTurq1000

I have turned on performace mode on my PS5. The monitor that I have is Sceptre E255B-1658A 25" 165Hz 144Hz 1ms AMD FreeSync gaming LED Monitor 2x HDMI 2.0 1x DisplayPort RTS FPS Build-in Speakers, Machine Black, Metallic Black. I'm using the HDMI cable the PS5 came with. I've watched multiple videos on youtube and still cant get 120fps on my PS5. What is this problem here?

ZeroTurq1000

Ryall

@ZeroTurq1000 You need HDMI 2.1 to do 120 Hz from a PS5. I know you could sacrifice resolution for a higher frame rate on that screen using a gaming PC but that isn’t an option on the PS5.

Ryall

Chevyguy

@ZeroTurq1000 do you have it connected to the hdmi 2.0 outlet? Is there some type of built in over drive or some sort of over clocking

Chevyguy

Chevyguy

@Ryall hdmi 2.1 for 4k 120, my monitor has 2.0 and I get 1080p 120 on my ps5 in games that support it i even checked with built in fps counter to make sure

Chevyguy

Chevyguy

@Ryall to be honest I'm pretty sure it auto detects your resolution, mine is native 1440 so it defaults to 1080. What i did was put ps5 in performance mode, turn off ray tracing and then 120 mode works also i have the ps5 version of the game

Chevyguy

ZeroTurq1000

@Chevyguy I did those 2 exact same things. Ive repeated this process multiple times and still dont get the 120 fps. I as well have the ps5 version of the game.

ZeroTurq1000

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.