Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 721 to 740 of 4,717

Octane

@nessisonett Oh yeah, agreed. I still don't know why they won't just do that. Built in an emulator on the software level. Put in a disc, and either copy the data and play it from the SSD, or just run it from the disc. Both are possible I think. It requires a bit of work, but people like that stuff.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane I mean, walking the plank aside, you can put a PSX/PS2 disc in your PC and run it off an emulator perfectly fine. It’s absolutely possible but Sony might see some potential security issues since you could fake a PS2 game and get it to run malicious code. As we saw with the PS Classic though, Sony either don’t understand emulation or they just can’t be bothered.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

@nessisonett Wait, you can? I've never heard that was possible on PC. That removes the last bit of doubt I had about it.

Still, even Xbox does it the weird way. They offer digital versions, of which they have to acquire the distributions rights. If they had en emulator all OG Xbox games and 360 games would be compatible, and you wouldn't have to wait for MS to update their library. So I'm definitely suspecting there's another thing stopping them from doing it. But yeah, in theory it's possible.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane Yep, an ISO is just a disc image so whether that’s saved to hard drive or an actual disc, the theory’s the same. It gets more complicated with Blu-Rays though.

JohnnyShoulder

Thought this vid explained the differences quite well. He didn't cover everything, such as how storage will work, however. And ignore the title, he goes into way more detail into other aspects too.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WebHead

Sony's rollout seems to be built around preventing leaks. if that is the case I would assume a PS5 themed SoP is coming in May. if preventing leaks is the mentality then I imagine they would want to show stuff before hardware production begins.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

JJ2

@JohnnyShoulder
I prefer NX

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JohnnyShoulder

Colin and Chris really went for Sony over backwards compatibility in the latest Sacred Symbols +. If only they had recorded it after the latest news from Sony lol.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JJ2

Look I'm not very clever but my admiration for Cerny got a huge 'boost' so to speak. Not only the man is incredibly intelligent but he had the balls to really innovate whereas it was tempting to play safe and roll on with the ps4 success.
A lot of BS going on atm including from the press who didnt listen to what he said. GPU frequency is 2.23 and variable means it may be downclocking to 2.20. Its completely overblown. The performance is sustained.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Octane

@JohnnyShoulder People in general were quick to jump to conclusions. Last year, Sony already confirmed that the PS5 will be BC with the PS4 (as expected from a hardware point of view).

Cerny was talking about boost mode on the PS5 and how, of the 100 most played games (the popular ones), most worked better than expected. And that they're testing every game to make sure it works properly. The same Microsoft is doing really, because they also backtracked on their original statement.

The problem is that Sony invited everyone to watch the stream, so people got the idea that it was the PS5 reveal. It wasn't. It was a GDC talk. And Microsoft was smart to use that to Tweet out the ''ALL Xbox One games are BC on Series X''. But even they backtracked on that and clarified that they expect the majority to work, and that they're currently testing all the games.

So here we are, both companies are in the same boat, but someone the narrative is that ''hur-dur, Microsoft is better because they have BC and Sony doesn't''. Which is silly IMO. And people say console wars don't exist anymore. I've seen enough bickering on both sides in the last few days. Just wait until everything is properly revealed before jumping to conclusions.

Octane

JJ2

@KratosMD
'Who in their right minds would buy an Xbox One over PS4, '
Gamers who liked the exclusives and I respect that.

Octane

@KratosMD For all we know the Series X is more expensive than the PS5. Who knows! Besides, I thought Series X was multiple consoles? Like a ''Lite'' and a ''Pro'' version, but no word on that?

Yeah, I wouldn't some more weird titles to flesh out the line up. I guess they have Dreams, The Last Guardian, and they had Concrete Genie, but I skipped out on that one. There were rumours about Insomniac working on another Ratchet & Clank for the PS5, so hopefully that'll happen.

Octane

nessisonett

@KratosMD I agree, more competition is good for us, the gamers, as it means Sony have to work harder for our benefit.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I'm not sure if the console wars ceased to exist, if anything what you described made it even worse.

@Octane Yeah agree, some media outlets as usual have just used that some were seemingly confused over BC to create speculative headlines to get clicks.

Ryall

To summarise what we know so far:
PS5 games will load slightly more than twice as fast as the Xbox series X .
Screenshots of Xbox series X games will look slightly better than the same game run on PS5.
PS5 graphics will vastly surpass any current generation consoles.
We are unable to predict which of the next generation consoles will perform better in terms of frame rate because they’re so different and we don’t know where the bottlenecks will come. It may even vary by game with neither clearly better.
My understanding of the power management causing variable clocks on the CPU and GPU of the PlayStation five is that the CPU will take what it needs and the GPU will make do with what’s available but most of the time they will both have sufficient power to hit their peak clocks.

Ryall

Jaz007

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD I mean I think it kinda ceased to exist because MS just plain lost the war. They embarrassed themselves beyond measure, had the worst console reveal of all time, had mediocre exclusives to start and never had a thing beyond that, maybe a good one if you were lucky. Heck the best was the MC collection which was just games from previous gen's remastered. They flubbed it so hard the war was just lost and console sales reflect that. Now they've both been doing a bad job with reveals and the war is back on lol.

Jaz007

JJ2

@Ryall
'Screenshots of Xbox series X games will look slightly better than the same game run on PS5'

I dont get why people think 1.8Tflop will make any difference. Fast SSD is more useful to push more details on screen.

nessisonett

@JJ2 Eh, that’s not exactly how it works, a fast SSD will only load things quicker, not show more detail. TFlops are a number pointless without context but Xbox will be a traditionally more powerful box which means it’ll probably have better graphics. However, the differences are marginal enough that some developers might just use the same build for both consoles.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett Didnt they say the SSD is almost as quick to access as the RAM? So they can load higher quality textures in more easily/frequently, no? I could easily be mistaken.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 IIRC, Cerny said that as you turned around, it could load textures so fast that you’d get consistently high graphics. Plus, the streaming will look nicer. So, way I see it, XBOX will have higher peaks in graphics whereas PS5 will deliver more consistent graphics. For the screenshot example, that one has to lie with XBOX despite how it might vary in quality in motion.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic