Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 501 to 520 of 4,712

JJ2

@BAMozzy
They said 4x purely from a processing perspective and it's interesting Spencer (and later AMD Lisa) emphasised the processor is co engineered with AMD that's where it maybe significantly different with PS5

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JJ2

@WebHead
PlayStation'S
Haha

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

WebHead

I could see Ghost of Tsushima being held back for a cross gen launch in case Horizon 2 can't make it.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

BAMozzy

@WebHead I can see Xbox going that way - with maybe just a name instead of using numbers (even if the numbers don't follow an order). If they are going to be more of iterative format, with the games also working on 'older' systems, they will have to have some way to state a minimum console requirement to run. You can't just say 'Xbox' and someone with an S (or X even) not being able to play it because the game needs a decent CPU (at least Zen2) to work. There has to be some way to tell the purchaser that the game requires a 'minimum' hardware level - the same being true for Playstation uf they were to go that route too.

I can see Sony still calling its next Console PS5. What people may want, ie Buying a game like Death Stranding or Last of Us 2 on PS4 and then when the PS5 comes out, getting a 'free' update that takes it up to PS5 standard that a PS5 'Renastered' version would offer, and what they get (just the PS4 and/or Pro version) via BC we will have to see. It will also be down to the developer/publisher too to decide whether they will do a free update or sell a remastered version instead. They would have to draw a line somewhere too. If LoU2 gets updated free, should ND also update Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy? What about Nathan Drake Collection and LoU Remastered? If ND do, what about 3rd Party devs and how far back? All the Pro Enhanced games? All games released from 2018 onwards? Just AAA games from 2018+?

You have to draw a line between old and new consoles - maybe not in the first year or two between games that need the new console to work properly and which won't. You also have to decide how to handle older games via BC - whether they will be updated or not. Its also made a bit more tricky by games using CB rendering rather than Native resolutions. Say a game on X is running with dynamic Native resolutions, on the next gen, the Dev perhaps doesn't 'need' to be involved as the extra power of the next Box means that game now runs Native at 4k - no dynamic scaling necessary where as a PS4 Pro with CB rendering would need a Patch to change that to render Natively. Its the same with Frame Rate Caps too - if they are capped at 30fps, without a dev raising or removing that cap, it will only run at 30fps max. Any changes to the method of rendering, the visual settings, the frame rate cap etc are all things that a Dev would have to patch in to change on the next gen hardware.

Moving forward, they would have to put in options for games that 'run' on older hardware - maybe frame rate caps, resolution caps, some basic visual setting options too for those still on Base consoles, mid gen consoles and those on the latest hardware - assuming that they publish games just as Playstation or Xbox rather than PS5 or Xbox Scarlett. Effectively, you are asking Devs to optimise their games now 3x instead of 2 as they have been doing or at least giving gamers the option to adjust the list of settings like a PC gamer has to optimise the games to run how they want because of such a wide range of specs that PC gamers have.

I can't see the Base XB1 being able to run games to any reasonable standard in a few years - its struggling now with basically ALL 3rd party games - 1st party though can ensure they build games to the base console, change things that are too intensive to hit 1080p where as 3rd Party games have to change the settings to keep parity across all platforms. I don't know how MS would handle that where a game can run more than adequately on an X - albeit at 1080p for example but on a base XB1 that is less than 1/4 the GPU power, would have to be at 540p (or worse because of RAM limitations too). With PS4 and PS4 Pro, those 2 are so much closer that if a game can't run at 720p on PS4, it won't run at 1080p on Pro either. Its easier to say to 'Pro' owners the game won't release because its not powerful enough to run at the 'minimum' standard (i.e Full HD - on a '4k' console) and not at 'minimum' for PS4 either than it is to say that a game that could run at up to 1440p (which is 4x 720p btw) won't release on that because the Base XB1 won't run it. Its unfair (in my mind) to release it on Base console knowing its way below 'standard' just to release it on X and unfair on X owners not to release a game because its locked to the base XB1. I know its a similar thing for PS owners but Sony made it clear that the 'minimum' level of the Pro is 1080p so if a game won't run at 1080p, its fair enough and it won't run at 720p either on base because they are much closer in specs.

The only way I can see Xbox just being Xbox is if they were to make the X the 'new' base console and then it can have 'different' software to the current Base XB1. By 2024, the X would be 7yrs old and that could be phased out with Scarlett, now 4yrs old, becoming the new base as a 'new' iterative Xbox releases. However, games will still need to have some way of notifying purchasers that the game has a minimum spec required to run well - like X is the minimum required Xbox so that base XB1/S/Digital owners are warned that their hardware is not adequate to run the software at a 'reasonable' standard - much like we see with PC games.

Its something that MS - and maybe Sony too depending on their approach - if they stick to the conventional generational format with PS5, its easier to have PS4 and PS5 releases with PS4 releases dropping off over time like any other generational system - but if not, how they 'phase out the weakest console, how they mark the minimum required hardware etc is something that they have to figure out. Drop the base and the owners may feel hard done by, drop both as a generational thing, the X owners may feel hard done by knowing their hardware should be 'adequate' for UHD gaming. Not my problem to figure out though...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

WebHead

Another thing to consider too is the possibility of Sony doing an Xbox All Access kind of program where you pay for the console through a couple years of monthly fees. Could see them partnering with best buy.

WebHead

BAMozzy

@JJ2 Sony's Processor and GPU is co-engineered with AMD too. Both have the 'same' AMD type Zen2 CPU and Both are using AMD's Navi architecture for their GPU. The difference though is much more likely to be the custom features that each will want built in. Xbox for example will want DX12 built in maybe have a dedicated Audio processor built in to its APU too - these are things that MS wanted for the X too so its not a far reach to think that these things may well be built into the APU that makes it a 'custom' order - something NO other APU from AMD can and would have. Sony may opt for FP16 support, Object tracking (although may not need this for PS5 as this was to help CB rendering as it tracked objects to better align with the 'gaps' left by CB rendering) as the did with the Pro. Sony may not have a dedicated Audio processor built in as they believe the CPU has enough resources to handle that but may have a dedicated AI handling chip built in to the APU instead to offload that from the CPU.

All of this is how they make a 'Custom' APU despite sharing the same Zen2 and Navi at its heart. The arrangement inside the chip could look similar but it could also vary a lot too. Its that 'design', the features that both Sony and MS want (which will be different) that makes these 'Custom' APU's and not something you can walk into a retailer and buy - even if they sell Zen2 CPU's and Navi GPU's. Like I said, MS may well move Audio processing from the CPU to a dedicated part of the chip which NO other CPU offers and its likely that MS will build DX12 into it and probably DXR too (that's DirectX Raytracing btw) where Sony may have a bespoke Vulcan and AMD Raytracing for their equivalent. Its all still Zen2 and Navi but can still be very custom and completely bespoke to each. PS4 Pro was based on Polaris but also had some elements of Vega built in - something NO other Polaris offered because its a bespoke and custom design - and that includes the 'butterfly' design to ensure it was compatible with PS4 by shutting off one 'wing' if a game was just PS4 - even dropping the clock speed of both the CPU and GPU until boost mode was added - that's still just using half of the GPU but not down clocking the CPU and GPU to match the base PS4. That had to be built into the design - not one block of 36cores but two blocks of 18cores. This is the type of thing that makes these 'custom' and bespoke to each even if they do end up with identical CPU & GPU Clock speeds and 'Tflops' How they handle Audio could be different, how they handle Ray Tracing could be different etc and its all down to the bespoke and custom design that both MS and Sony will of worked with AMD to produce.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

JJ2

@BAMozzy
I'm just saying that's what Spencer AND Lisa put the emphasis on

BAMozzy

@JJ2 I wasn't arguing with you - I was just trying to put what they said into context, what that means. Both Sony and MS will sit down with AMD (metaphorically) and design (co engineer) their next APU. For MS, that's likely to be around DX12 and probably their own DXR Raytracing too and for Sony, they may have to rely more on AMDs design. Both will no doubt discuss how best to build the chip with the features they want to incorporate, inc any design like the 'butterfly' that Sony wanted for the Pro and X had something similar too believe it or not with the X. Combining a CPU and GPU into one APU with RAM split between System and Games, X also with how it uses the 'extra' allocated for gaming without ESRAM now, has to be figured out based on what Sony and MS want and/or need. Its not like they go to AMD and take a CPU and GPU off the shelf and slot those together in one APU. Therefore they are co-engineered because what works for a PC where you can unplug a 18core GPU and drop in a 36core GPU for example, where you can also get new drivers etc, a Console has to be engineered in such a way that 36cores can be split down to 18 for PS4 games but run at full capacity for Pro games.

I was in essence agreeing with you but just expanding on what that actually means.

JJ2

@BAMozzy
Ok
So I'm thinking they said that for a good reason.
While Lisa worded it in the exact same way as Spencer, she mentioned the collaboration with Sony in a different way.

BAMozzy

@JJ2 That may be because they are using the same language as each other or it maybe that MS in this case is bringing some of its technology (DX12, DXR) where as Sony are relying more on AMDs own versions.

Sony may well be involved also in helping AMD develop their versions as they have a collection of Developer Studio's that can assess and help AMD improve their Vulkan and Ray Tracing elements in their PC GPU range too. MS has their own and potentially even how the APU will work with xCloud too which may require more 'engineering' than Sony's but MS do seen to be using the same CPU and GPU architecture but no doubt have aspects of MS's DX built in - therefore is not entirely AMD so 'co-engineered' instead of co-developed, co-designed etc that Sony may use.

If I had to bet, I would bet that co-engineered is because it has something from MS built in to the APU rather than completely AMD but custom designed in partnership with Sony.

JJ2

@BAMozzy
Spencer mentioned a few times that cloud streaming is optimised at silicon level so theres that.

BAMozzy

@JJ2 Whether that means at 'console' silicon or whether they mean at server (cloud) silicon, I don't know. The way xCloud was shown, it was 4 XB1s consoles stripped down to just the motherboard and combined together in just 1 'server' on a rack of lots of servers so I don't know if they are referring to that or not...

JJ2

@WebHead
'goes for the Xbox Two's jugular'
Haha and then they ll probably trash gamers who take the bait and go console war. Next gen sounds beast. I just hope ps5 is at least at the same level a Scarlet. You already see fanatics going on about true Ray tracing vs faux ray tracing crap and that's annoying .

JJ2

@WebHead
Hybrid Ray Tracing patent
After 10:

Edited on by JJ2

Norse_Heathen_47

@jdv95 I agree. Streaming video games mean "They have complete control" So if the servers are down your not playing at all. At least now you can still play offline.

Danteus

WebHead

I think PSX will be back this december and we will get a PS5 tease, like a hype video.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic