Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,261 to 4,280 of 4,717

NEStalgia

@Kidfried LOL! Weeell.....Sega produced a controller one year after Dual Shock that had the left analog stick in the correct location, used Hall Effect sensors so that drift could never exist, and included a display screen to provide feedback and information.

25 years later Sony still has the left stick in the wrong position the rest of the industry decided was wrong in 1998, has a useless touch pad instead of a display, decided to stick with potentiometers and design over-engineered elaborate replacement modules to fix the fact they refused to use the Hall sensor Sega used in 1998, in a $200 controller. It glows blue tho....

In Sega I trust! The only thing they have in common is both require a cable plugged in to be able to use it

NEStalgia

Th3solution

@nessisonett I have always thought Japanese games (and anime) have weird dialogue, but it’s charming in a quirky Japanese sort-of-way and something I’ve just grown accustomed to. There’s a tendency to have over-reactive expressions, exaggerated hyperbolic voice acting, and have strange narrative leaps and transitions. I think Forspoken seems to be a Japanese Isekai story wrapped in Western RPG aesthetics and setting, which makes it come across as so weird. Of course I say this as someone who hasn’t played the game but has definitely been put off by the cringy dialogue. It works when it’s in a JRPG but grates when it’s appearing in a WRPG.

I think someone posted that the game is selling quite well in Japan, so perhaps there was some intent there to keep to the strange Japanese styled scripting, despite the writers being Western.

Either way, the selective way in which review copies went out is definitely suspicious and there’s no doubt that the journalistic integrity of some responses is questionable at best.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

Rumour has it that this Tomb Raider TV show will also have a movie and a game connected to it, all funded by Amazon. Would be interesting.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I wonder if that's the game concept Crystal Dynamics have reportedly been developing for a while now (the one with Lara training a team of Tomb Raiders, with co-op mechanics) or whether Amazon's involvement and new plan made them start over? Because honestly, the whole "team" angle would lend itself well to a multimedia carpet-bombing strategy. "This week's episode is all about the second recruit."

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeesh. That sounds terrible for anything that it is Tomb Raider related.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, that does not sound like my kinda game if true! You’d have thought Crystal Dynamics would have learned from Avengers too, considering that even an IP of that size was scuppered by a beige multiplayer element.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @nessisonett Well, with any luck it'll be proven a false rumour, or it's talking about some kind of companion spin-off from a more traditional "main" release.

As much as it most definitely isn't the Tomb Raider game I'd make, let's not forget that multiplayer co-op has been proven to work in the franchise before. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and the Survival and Endurance modes in Rise of the Tomb Raider are far from terrible.

Again, here's hoping we get a more traditional outing before, or alongside, anything more experimental.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Well you can't accuse whoever does the PS UK twitter posts for not having a sense of humour...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Voltan

@JohnnyShoulder It's my favourite official corporate account on Twitter, along with Devolver and a few others.
PlayStation AU is also better than most but not this good.

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan Ay, those are pretty good too!

Octane

SW Jedi Survivor is delayed until April 28. Right in between the Horizon DLC and Zelda.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Given the fact that a lot of folks criticised Jedi: Fallen Order for being a bit buggy at launch, I'm actually a tad impressed that EA allowed Respawn a little extra time for polish. Means I might have to rush Burning Shores though, or wait until I'm done with Cal before getting it.

You're gonna be one heck of a busy gamer this spring, then!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger Yeah, for sure! I decided to give Hogwarts Legacy an additional two months of patches before buying it (I have a feeling it will need it), and PSVR2 and SW were launching soon after anyway, but now April-May is looking incredibly busy! I may get Hogwarts Legacy at launch after all!

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane For me, I think these kinds of decisions come down to what I'm most likely to see spoilers about, and then I prioritise accordingly. You're right though, as good as I'm sure Hogwarts will be, it also looks pretty massive, and so I'd say the chance for bugs will be high.

If you end up getting it right away then, for your sake, I hope I'm wrong!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I’m not sure why I’ve never considered that tactic but it’s a good approach (prioritizing game order based on risk of seeing spoilers). I’m fairly lucky at avoiding spoilers though, seeing as Push Square users are mostly conscientious, especially in the launch period, and I rarely stray too far into the quagmire of other sites or YouTube unless I’m going straight there for a specific purpose. (Incidentally thanks for the spoiler warning on your recent MG Rising review. I’ll need to return to it after I get back with MGS2).
I’ve still mostly been able to stay naïve to the stories of Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok, despite their popularity. Still, I do think I’ll do SW Jedi Survivor at (or around) launch. Same for Hogwarts. We’ll see. The launch bugs are definitely a deterrent though. There are already people saying that the Hogwarts performance mode looks pretty bad in the early access version.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No problemo. I'm always overly-cautious when it comes to spoilers anyway, but there's definitely been an uptick of clickbait headlines that seem to have a cavalier approach to spoilers. When you use an aggregate site like Google to quickly catch up on a certain topic, there's always a risk that the third headline in the list will blurt out a major cameo from the latest release. It's why I won't worry about Burning Shores spoilers too much (and therefore might delay getting it) because I get all my PlayStation news from this site, and I know that Sammy won't go sticking major endgame spoilers in his headlines. I do occasionally, however, stick "Star Wars" into Google and have a wider browse.

Of course, some spoilers are inescapable. I remember going to see The Rise of Skywalker at the cinema, a few weeks after Jedi: Fallen Order had come out, and a trailer for the game (naturally) played before the film got underway. Said trailer ended on a shot of Darth Vader and immediately, a guy sitting a few rows back from me swore, saying "Well, that's my Christmas ruined, then."

And if there's another franchise as ubiquitous as Star Wars, then it's Harry Potter. People will literally be buying hardware to play Hogwarts Legacy, and there'll be headlines about it everywhere, regardless of the game's state at launch, so I'd tread very carefully indeed.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I seem to be OK on the spoiler front as I've managed to avoid them for so far on such games as Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok.

Octane

@RogerRoger I caved in and bought a copy of Hogwarts Legacy. I don't really have a spine, I know.

Octane

LN78

@Octane If it's any consolation, I watched the latest preview about an hour ago and did the same thing. It looks bloody good.

LN78

RogerRoger

@Octane Well, I doubt the game will expect you to play it standing up, so you'll be fine.

Awful jokes aside, I really hope it's in a decent state at launch. Sometimes release schedules just shake out this way, and it's fun to climb aboard a hype train every now and again.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic