Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,201 to 4,220 of 4,717

KilloWertz

@NEStalgia You're welcome. No, it's only for big ticket items most of the time. I had to sign for the gateway to my new internet provider, and Verizon made it so I couldn't already approve it on the UPS website unlike most, but I've only ever had to sign when it was my PS5. I've never had to sign for the games or peripherals I've bought from PlayStation Direct.

As for problems with it, I've never experienced anything like that before. That has to be on the driver and not UPS or the seller as they shouldn't do that unless you tell them to leave it somewhere else. I don't want to steer you one way and then you be like "damn it, why did I listen to him?", but if it was up to me, honestly I'd just buy it from PlayStation Direct. I've never had an issue with them on anything yet, and I think it only took two days for me to get my PS5 after ordering it. I don't remember if that was because I was a PS Plus member or if that applies to consoles regardless. I know there were issues with people getting the Firefly Edition of The Last of US Part 1 without it being damaged, but that's a bit different. If we were already to the point where PS5s were readily available, I'd probably choose Amazon, but we're not quite there yet. I guess it also depends on how soon you really want one.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

NEStalgia

@KilloWertz I just might go for it. Crossing my fingers on the signature thing.

I actually had another UPS issue, I had 2 PS5 out for delivery launch day, it was one of those holiday drivers using their own car (please don't launch consoles at holidays!) wasn't signature required but I happened to be out there anyway. And he had the one and not the other that was supposedly with him. Led to frantic calls to the terminal, and them assuring me out "probably will arrive Monday". That was a loooong weekend wondering if it "walked away" or not

They say they arrive the 23-28th. I do have plus if they offer perks for that. But yeah I'd take rather do Amazon, but who knows how available they will or won't be after preorder. I'm expecting they won't even sell out but.. Who knows, scalpers are weird...

I was going to wait for a price drop, but I technically knew I wanted it and hoped it would exist at all before the PS5 launched...I keep looking at my vr1 covered in layers of dust thinking..... Why wait?

NEStalgia

KilloWertz

@NEStalgia I'm not sure how, but part of what I said was about getting a PS5 from them even though you said it was for the PSVR2. I'm guessing you noticed that in my post as it veered off into talking about the PS5's availability and such. Sorry about that.

I'd go with whichever option you feel most comfortable with, but looking at other websites, I couldn't find it on any of them (Amazon, Walmart, etc.). I'd also be surprised if they sold out given how expensive it is and how they lifted the need to be invited to pre-order it from PlayStation Direct. So, you still have time to decide if you want it right away or not obviously. At the very least, I've given my past experiences with PlayStation Direct.

NEStalgia

@KilloWertz Haha, yeah, I knew what you meant

Yeah it's ps direct only until launch when it goes to "select" retailers. Not sure who select will be or how available stock will be. I agree on that it's expensive, niche, and the economy is stopping luxury spend among the masses (but not among the wealthy) and not too likely to sell out. It does say a lot that they lifted the invite (and I never get invites from them 😡) but they do still limit one per address, which they're not doing with the Edge controller, so they're still worried about availability somewhat for vr2, while they seem convinced they'll never have demand for the controller )

I just might do it.... I can always change my mind and cancel... At least make sure they won't sell out while I debate!

NEStalgia

KilloWertz

@NEStalgia If you have the money for it and want it, I can't fault you for buying it. I own a PS5, a Series X, and a Nintendo Switch, but only really use the PS5. I can't say anything.

Makes sense. That way you may get it a bit sooner than some others that order it close to release too. If you somehow forget or just need to know, they email you about a week and a half before release telling you they are about to process your pre-order payment as well.

NEStalgia

@KilloWertz lol I manage to own them all and actually play all of them... Technically PS5 gets the least use since it's an exclusives machine that's not portable, but that's still a lot of play time....

But vr2 will increase its play time for sure... 😃

NEStalgia

KilloWertz

@NEStalgia Not shocking by your username that the Switch would be your #1. I really do wish there was enough time to be able to play all 3, or at least the PS5 and the Switch, but there really isn't with work and other things. I game plenty on the weekends, but still, the PS5 is my #1 since it has the most games I love to play and I wouldn't get to play them all if I jumped from system to system that often. Since getting a Switch in late July of last year, the only game I completed was Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

I would hope buying a $550 VR headset would increase usage of the PS5.

NEStalgia

@KilloWertz lol, I actually used to be only Nintendo (console+handheld) and ps (console+ handheld). But Nintendo merging the console and handheld and Sony getting out of handheld made me get an x1x to be an all digital console (I was all physical prior.). I ended up going entirely digital, and due to them having a pc-like digital landscape made xb my default console for 3rd party games, so ps became the exclusives box. Which is good because if xb was my exclusives box it would have collected dust for years, 😂 I think switch kind of takes the back seat these days but I play a lot outdoors in the summer, so it gets its use then. But mostly whenever I'm at the couch ps or xb is the winner. It's definitely a "first world problem", there's no way anyone can play all 3 (4 with vr?) Systems enough to justify them but I still love jumping between them all. Maybe my PC days were cheaper after all lol.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

MightyDemon82

Looks like I won't be gaming for a while. My PS5 won't launch games and isn't recognising the WiFi, all this happening after the latest firmware update 😞

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 Have you checked to see if anybody else is having these issues after the update?

LN78

MightyDemon82

@LN78 I did a quick Google search and there was one site that mentioned the latest one to cause bugs, but not too sure about that website.

MightyDemon82

KilloWertz

@NEStalgia Maybe I'm just missing something, but why did you go with Xbox as your main console instead of the PS5 simply because Sony got out of the handheld business? Not that it matters really and is none of my business, but I was a bit confused by the switch unless it's simply because you went all digital and the Xbox ecosystem is probably better for that. Unless you have mediocre internet of course, as file sizes on Xbox are generally much larger than they are on the PS5 due to much better compression.

Ideally, I'd love to just have one console. I made a mess of the last generation, jumping from my Xbox One X to my PS4 Pro quite often. It's my own stupidity that I ended up buying several games twice because of that, but this gen the PS5 has won out so far due to much better exclusives. If Xbox finally starts delivering this year, then things may get interesting. That is mainly why I kept my Series X, because I need it for Bethesda games and some of their other recent acquisitions (not Activision).

NEStalgia

@KilloWertz Oh, no, it's not because Sony got out of handheld, its just that without their handheld and with Nintendo consolidating 2 platforms to one I went from having 4 platforms (wiiu, 3ds, PS4, psv) to 2 so adding the x1x when it started lifting from the xbone grave seemed appealing for an all digital system. I'd debated between that and getting back into my PC, figured getting into their sales and gwg (before it sucked) would be cool.

Then after I got it and used it a while along with PS4, their digital ecosystem and features just works better, the bc was a big deal, and overall it's just more pc like. Plus I like the controllers better. So I just kinda ended up going in that direction with that as primary 3rd party since I trust their digital more for the long haul more like steam.

I was physical only prior and happened to get real internet finally around that time which was a big factor, too. Wouldn't have touched xb otherwise!

I know the feeling of buying twice though. At that time I went all digital, rebought a lot of games id bought on ps to centralize on xb (all of Yakuza!) And rebought ps games I had physical already when on sale digitally. It's a mess, or was during the change. I'm MOSTLY out of that now where it's xb if it's on xb, ps if it's exclusive...... But Japan breaks me. I ended up buying ys9 on switch, day 1, finding out it runs like trash, then buying on ps. And the reverse for trails of cold steel. And p5 strikers..... So just as I stopped duplicating on ps and xb I started on ps and switch!

But yeah you still have the same situation in reverse from me where xb is the exclusives box. It'll pay off. I think this gen Sony is front loaded on releases and xb will be back loaded in the second half of the gen. Both machines will get plenty of use I think. I fully expect to wear out the PS5 even with just exclusives by late Gen.

Actually it's been acting up, beeping with disc eject beeps without a disc, while in standby exactly like my PS4 pro did. I have no idea why. I don't think it's broken, but idk what it's doing. It works fine when running, only standby is crazy. I disconnected the vr1 box and that wasn't the problem. Could be the external spinner drive, that's the same one the pro had connected

I still need to add an SSD but I'm not going to open it up until stock is normally available, just in case.....

NEStalgia

Th3solution

@LN78 @MightyDemon82 For the first time since owning the PS5, I’ve had it drop WiFi connection twice this past week. Unfortunately it caused a forced exit out of Dark Souls when it did that, and so I got that scary warning upon rebooting the game that closing the game without properly exiting it might cause loss of save data. Fortunately the PS5 saves the game so fast that nothing was corrupted either time. But both times it showed a message that online connection had dropped just prior to the game kicking me.

I figured it was my WiFi being weird, but perhaps it’s the update. I need to try launching some other games and make sure it’s not a system thing. I haven’t been played anything except Dark Souls in the last few weeks.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LN78

@Th3solution This is a little worrying. Is there a forum thread here on the site for people to mention problems with their systems and share potential fixes?

LN78

Th3solution

@LN78 I don’t think there’s a specific thread for technical problems. Perhaps there needs to be one because either people post a new thread about the specific issue or they put it in here.

I’ll update when I get home after I try to launch some PS5 games. I did have some lagging when trying to watch some YouTube videos, so I still suspect my issue is my own WiFi. I would suspect that if there was some common issues created by the update that we’d hear more about it.

Edit: I am also a little hyper-vigilant since my old PS4 is having WiFi antenna problems (I suspect) and so I’ve been more aware since then.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@NEStalgia Ok, that makes sense. It's more or less because Xbox has the better all digital ecosystem for you, and I can't argue with that given the overall superior BC. Are you going to get a Series X so you can have the third party titles in new gen quality?

That's good that you've got it all mostly figured out. Maybe don't buy multi-platform games day 1 on Switch until you know they run fine. I hope I remain the same, but watch Xbox finally deliver on their exclusives and throw me for a total loop.

True, as long as Xbox finally delivers, they should have a very interesting second half of the generation. Know me though, if they go on a nice run, I'll get swept up in it all and lose my discipline of using my PS5 as my main console. I hope they do deliver, but I hope I don't do that. lol

Yeah, it could be the drive, but I'm far from an expert. I don't know, but as long as it keeps working, you should be good. At worst, if it breaks eventually, you should be able to get another one given that the stock is supposed to finally normalize this year.

LN78

@Th3solution I haven't turned my PS5 on in a while. I'll get the update done and report back if there are any connectivity issues.

LN78

NEStalgia

@KilloWertz Oh I do have the XSX, I got both XSX and PS5 day 1 luckily! I also have an XSS I use for a dedicated streaming machine to a phone/controller setup for a Switch-like setup but with having full quality games. I also have one of my PS4's set up for the same. I don't want to use the PS5 or XSX for that...too much wear and tear for brief usage. My launch day XSX actually died last year, just days before the warranty ended with a dead power supply. Thankfully it was still within warranty. That's how I ended up with an XSS actually, as a backup since most of my library is tied to that system it made sense to have. If the new beeping of the PS5 in standby is an ill omen I'd rather remain blissfully ignorant.

Haha, yeah, I've learned my lesson on Switch multiplat after Ys....that's why I have the XSS and PS4 set up as a streaming box actually! I got Soul Hackers 2 and Diofiled on Xbox and Trails games on PS and play them on the phone rig like it's a Switch. Except Trails from Zero where Switch has the better version for whatever reason.

Haha, I do think the trick to being multiconsole is discipline though....just choosing one as the third party one wherever possible. Keeps things concise. Things like timed exclusivity throw me off though, because then it's cheaper on the opposite one even when it's on both, or things like FF7 that's forever in a "will it won't it" port conundrum. Cheap may win for me there. And....VR might make some changes if the PS version will include VR that's more than token VR (Ace Combat what was one mode, etc, no thanks.) I'm betting Hitman gets patched for VR2, and that makes me regret getting it on XB. I have 1 on PS though from before I switched my primary.

The beeping thing is just weird. I don't even use the disc drive, it's never had a disc in it, so I don't technically care. It's fine when it's on, it's only in standby that it beeps. But the weird thing is it's the exact problem my PS4 Pro had that I thought it was breaking. I doubt they both have the same issue. I thought the VR1 breakout box was it, but nope. The only thing left I can think of is maybe it's the external HDD for PS4 games, I don't want to disconnect it because I have a ton of games on it, but that's the last link left that's common with the PS4 Pro. I could not use standby but.....I heavily use standby. I'm thinking it's probably not broken it's probably software somewhow. It's just so strange, it's the ghost of my PS4 Pro living on. I was so happy to unplug that thing when I got the 5 for this reason lol.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic