Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 2,881 to 2,900 of 4,712

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan @Th3solution @colonelkilgore Yeah I have little interest in 'gitting gud' at fighting games so that I can hold my own against online players. I usually just play most of the online modes and have done with it. I don't play a lot them these days and usually play them whenever there are on Plus/Now, a deep sale or second hand.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @colonelkilgore @Voltan My favorite fighter of late is Injustice 2 which had a serviceable story and was a licensed property I had some interest in. The only other I’ve played much in the last few years is SoulCalibur 6 which I had enough experience with prior entries to pull me in. I need to try out a franchise I’ve never played before so maybe Guilty Gear is worth a go, if not MK11 like Volt has promoted. Or maybe I’ll just try this Virtua Fighter remaster that recently dropped. I’ll have to wait for a mood to hit.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution Going from Injustice to MK might be easier than to other fighters as they share some of the core mechanics. Guilty Gear shouldn't be too hard to get into though, the basics are pretty intuitive and characters feel very responsive in general. The ability to block and dash in air maybe makes it a little more about reflexes and less about planning ahead than something like MK.

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan What I’ve always disliked about fighting games is the requirement to anticipate blocks defensively. I’m just not good at it. Especially when guarding while standing doesn’t block a low attack, and vice versa. And I hate games that can string together long combos juggling you in the air where all it takes is a good player to land one combo that juggles you for 20 hits and your entire health bar is gone in one attack.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

Th3solution wrote:

I hate games that can string together long combos juggling you in the air where all it takes is a good player to land one combo that juggles you for 20 hits and your entire health bar is gone in one attack.

That's MKX for you Block wrong once, take a coffee break while the opponent executes their combo
MK11 has dialed that down a lot (which is why some people dislike it) but of course it's still possible to do 50% damage in some cases - they do need some special circumstances though, can't just do it on any hit.

As for blocking: fighting games nowadays usually have 4 types of attacks (not counting throws): lows, mids, highs and overheads. Standing block defends against everything but lows, crouching block defends against everything but overheads (which are often slower attacks). You can also duck without blocking to avoid a high attack, which lets you punish it easier as you're not block-stunned. I believe this is true for all modern fighters I played.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan Yeah, I thank you for warning me about MK10. Didn’t even download it from the PS Plus Collection after hearing your descriptions. I like the art style of Guilty Gear more than MK, but it might be easier to transition from Injustice to MK. 🤔
Have you played VF5? I wonder if it’s approachable for novices.

Voltan

@Th3solution Not yet. I want to check it out but it'll have to wait until I have some more time. I'll be recording an album starting this weekend so not much gaming in the next couple weeks - I should be able to play some Ratchet & Clank now and then but that's it

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan Nice! Hope the recording goes well.
And R&C too. The game looks brilliant. I’m torn because I definitely am going to buy it, but it probably doesn’t need my support as much as Retunal, so I don’t think I’ll buy it day 1. I have yet to get to Returnal and also have Intergrade now added to my new PS5 game list. So I think I’ll end up waiting a little while on Rift Apart. However, I might get antsy when I read how awesome people think it is 😄

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, quite a bit of profile functionality seems to have been sacrificed to the "streamlining" gods in recent months. It's a shame because, despite being somebody who's always danced with USB drives out of choice, I know how complicated it can be to circumvent the preferred defaults.

You're absolutely right, though. Death before Twitter.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I take it you're pretty excited @Th3solution at a certain game that you couldn't stop gushing about recieving a director's cut for the PS5 hmmm? 😜

... And yes I'm being purposely vague in case you haven't seen the announcment yet... I don't wanna spoil the surprise entirely if ya haven't! 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm not Sol, but I'm so looking forward to this. I have held off on this game so far, not for a lack of interest, but I just haven't really fit it into my gaming schedule yet and something was gnawing on me, with regards to a possible PS5 update for over a year now.

Really happy and relieved a definitive edition of this game is coming with some improved visuals, and I am finally experiencing this thing. For me the best news to come out of yesterday's presentation.

Kidfried

Thrillho

@Kidfried I still haven’t got round to playing it either but I’ll be interested to see whether it’s a free upgrade, equivalent price re-release, or priced as a new game..

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Kidfried @Thrillho I haven’t finished Death Stranding yet but would start a whole new game if there was some sort of upgrade track.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Just popped home at lunch and upgraded Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order to the PS5 version for free. You love to see it!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

render

@Kidfried @Thrillho @nessisonett I absolutely loved Death Stranding so would totally recommend starting / finishing it when this is released. There's some really interesting mechanics in the game and for me it's just the way that the music blends into it making it a totally unique experience. It will be interesting to see how much the game changes between the base version and the directors cut and if it's just the story that changes or some of the actual gameplay.

render

nessisonett

@render Yeah, I loved what I played but the switch onto PS5 weirdly made me averse to going back to my PS4 to finish games.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yes, I am really excited to hear more about it. I really need to see what sort of additions are going to be present before I commit to an immediate replay. As you know I’m not typically one to replay games, but I’m thrilled to know that the day I do decide to hike through a post-apocalyptic world with Kojima that it’ll be in glorious 4K, ray traced, etc, etc and hopefully have meaningful new content. I do have slightly mixed feelings about directors cuts of great pieces because there is always the chance that it actually makes the story worse. I loved Death Stranding for what it was, and I’m not sure what it really needed. It would be nice to have supplemental content that doesn’t mess with the narrative or the quirky way that the story unravels. But above all, I’m pleased with the fact that the game will get a little more traction and attention for those who missed it on PS4.

Bentleyma

Just played Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on my PS4 via Share Play. My brother let me play it for about an hour and a half. It’s so good. I didn’t want to get off. Even with the compression, the game looks insane.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic