Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 6,321 to 6,340 of 6,401

Fight_Teza_Fight

@CaptD I almost always play with English VA, but have found myself switching back & forth in this one😅.

I did some air raids in FC5 yesterday & they were pretty great tbh.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

JohnnyShoulder

@CaptD Cheers for the thought, but I'm more of a single player guy.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I'm playing The Messenger. I've always been a fan of 8 bit platformers, and with Shovel Knight being among my favorite indies of last generation, this one would like it'd suit me.

Halfway the game, The Messenger opens up more gameplay wise (I'm careful not to spoil anything). I had read about this in previews, and it was actually one of the things that had me excited for this game. It's pretty much THE selling point of the game, because the rest is just a decent 8-bit platformer, of which there are loads of already.

Actually from that moment on the game becomes tedious. You're replaying old levels a lot, so much of your time is wasted retreading old ground. Because of the upgrades you've assembled the game becomes much easier, and it doesn't scale with you in any way, so the only ways I still sometimes die is because I'm playing the game on autopilot. I get so much health that I will just walk through enemies to get to the other side of the screen faster. And then sometimes I die. It's a dumb reason to die, and it doesn't frustrate me at all, but it's telling of how boring the game has become.

They also add a sort of time travelling mechanic somewhere. Which isn't hugely revolutionary, but it could be something... if they ever implemented it in interesting ways. Instead time travelling is nothing more than 'in the past this door is open, in the future it is closed, so change the time to continue'. It's... like they don't care about the gameplay mechanic being there at all. Infuriating stuff!

I've then went back and read reviews of the game. Seems like almost all reviewers hate the back half of the game. Hm... Well, at least the first half was fun!

Kidfried

colonelkilgore

Made a start on Life is Strange 2 this morning and… it’s great! I remember being really surprised by how much I enjoyed the original and I think this one is actually better. And that moment about 30 minutes in … 😱 woah!

#flyingjimryanftw
#jimryanout

CaptD

@colonelkilgore Are you telling me to play it? 😝
I see. It is in ps+ extra and perhaps I should hit the download button, I played the first one but none of the others.
Ps. You don't have Wolfenstein Youngblood do you? It has appalling reviews but it can't be that bad, can it?!

CaptD

colonelkilgore

@CaptD if you liked the first one, then sure.

CaptD wrote:

Ps. You don't have Wolfenstein Youngblood do you? It has appalling reviews but it can't be that bad, can it?!

It’s not a bad game… but it is a TERRIBLE platinum. So if you’re not chasing 100% completion I’m sure you’ll have fun… I on the other hand wanted that shiney 😔

#flyingjimryanftw
#jimryanout

Anti-Matter

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town PS4

I have to wait until next sunny Wednesday to meet with Van the traveler merchant to sell Van's favorite bottles and getting Remote controllers to be sold on Huang to get instant Million Gil.
Yay... Getting rich by selling remote controllers. 😆

Anti-Matter

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

colonelkilgore

Made a start on Dead Nation today with @CaptD very kindly showing me the ropes. What a great little game! Gonna be a tough old nut to crack for the platinum… but I’m gonna enjoy the journey.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

#flyingjimryanftw
#jimryanout

CaptD

@colonelkilgore Yeah good fun game and pretty tough but I've just started a morbid playthrough and it wasn't as tough as grim in coop, only did first level mind (I did die once though so it wasn't a totally walk in the park) plus 100% loot so I don't know what the hell was happening before.
I think the game doesn't scale too well at higher difficulties in coop...the enemies are a bit too bullet spongy. Braindead in coop is where it's at.

CaptD

colonelkilgore

@CaptD yeah I made a start on my solo grim playthrough and found it so much easier… that multiplayer scaling is insane!

#flyingjimryanftw
#jimryanout

Anti-Matter

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

I have reached Spring season Year 2.
Still working on getting more money and raise the Heart level of the dudes.

Anti-Matter

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

RogerRoger

Took a brief break from Horizon Forbidden West to run through the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 story and had such a great time, I stuck around for the Road to Boruto DLC, too.

Gonna be interesting to see what Connections adds to some of the set pieces, if anything.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

As part of my mini gaming funk, I took a left turn from games I’ve been playing and decided to just start Life is Strange 2. I’m knee deep now, and might just plough through to finish it today. I was going to do an episode every week or so, but I’ve binged through 4 already.

More detailed impressions to follow.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh neat, a wild Life is Strange 2 playthrough appeared! Hope it helps get you out of your gaming funk, regardless of what you think of it (although yes, I'm obviously looking forward to reading those detailed impressions, as and when).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I had the best of intentions to finish it the other day, but I ended up having to postpone and now I’m probably looking at the weekend before time will allow. I want to give myself the proper time and mood to really invest in the last episode. I’m not only sad for Sean and Daniel to be out of my life, but I’m also anticipating some emotional processing that will need to be had. And the way my week is going it would have to be rushed if I don’t wait until Saturday.

As a side thought, the last play session before finishing a game is always a tough one for me. Some games do really need a lot more time to digest the ending, especially if a really emotional tale is being told. I struggle with how to approach a game’s final stretch sometimes because of the attention it needs for a proper send off. I’ve went into the last section of a game and thought to myself “okay, I have two or three uninterrupted hours, let’s finish this game”, only to find that the developers have pulled a surprise twist at the end and it draws out for another entire story beat or epilogue. Sometimes that works in the game’s favor, and sometimes it doesn’t. There’s a certain crescendo of emotional investment that I often feel and if a game tries to be too cute and drags things out, oftentimes it loses the moment and then it becomes anticlimactic. Of course occasionally the opposite happens too — I’m popping along with a game and it unceremoniously just ends. No fanfare, no emotional peak, no lasting takeaway.

Anyways, with LiS2, because of the games episodic format, it’s very predictable as to the timeline of the concluding chapter so I know with some confidence I’m somewhere between 2-4 hours away from finishing, plus whatever additional personal processing time. But still, I want the final play session to be something of an event rather than a rushed, stress induced afterthought whilst nodding off to sleep.

But as a preview to what is sure to be a long post later this week about my final thoughts on the game, I did go back and read your excellent review of the game from a couple years ago and really enjoyed it (again). A lot of what you said in that review rings true to my feelings so far and I like how you broke it down. Anyways, more on that later. 😄

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I hear you, with regards how best to approach a game's endgame. I often find myself picking up speed, like that feeling you get when you're running down a steep hill and can't stop, and if I know that life's gonna get in the way of that, I'll wait (because like you, if I'm emotionally invested in a game's story or experience, I won't just finish it, uninstall it and move on; I'll wanna let it sink in).

Feels like modern games have gotten their endings more right than wrong, and the inclusion of "point of no return" prompts has been a godsend (as well as warnings when starting long quests; I appreciated Ghost of Tsushima a lot more when it flagged up a couple of its hour-long-or-longer story beats). As you say, something episodic like Life is Strange 2 benefits from a rigid structure, but I'm sure it still won't play out to the minute, exactly as you expect (or expected, if you did indeed manage to finish it this past weekend).

It's kind of you to go back and read my review (and great that you agreed with some of its points, too) but given that you had the context of the first four episodes fresh in your mind, I hope it didn't spoil anything ahead of the finale! I very much binged the whole thing over a couple of free days, and so only really broke it down into episodic chunks for informative purposes, as it blended together in my own mind.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy (or have enjoyed) the finale, and that you don't miss Sean and Daniel too much!

Making It So Since 1987

Bentleyma

Making my way through Call of Cthulhu. I was quite liking it at the start when it was more of an adventure game, but now it’s leaning more and more into horror, which I’m not enjoying as much. I’m not a massive fan of horror games that involve a lot of running and hiding.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

KAIRU

I've been playing a lot of Hunt: Showdown given the newest event has been going on for the last few weeks. No other first-person shooter comes close, in my opinion. It's not perfect by any means but it's in a league of its own.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

Kidfried

@Bentleyma You should play Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened then! It's Lovecraftian, but without being a horror game, and very much an adventure mystery.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic