Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 181 to 200 of 6,464

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Well, I don't play GTA games, so it being an urban open-world contemporary game fills that gap in my library. But it has a really compelling story, where you're a guy returning home to infiltrate his old network of childhood Triad friends as an undercover cop. You swing between doing Triad missions (nasty tasks underpinned by a warm sense of brotherhood and family) and Cop missions (upstanding objectives framed by some cold, unsympathetic authority figures) and there's a powerful sense of divided loyalty and a tension that runs throughout. When one of the Triad missions involves driving around your best mate's bride-to-be and chatting about the nature of family, you know you've got a smarter-than-average story on your hands.

It also has a lot of little gameplay details that make it stand out. The combat system is often called an Arkham clone, but it actually has a lot more moving parts. There are weapons, grabs, throws, contextual environmental takedowns, specific combos, etc. all long before the Arkham series implemented them. It has a vehicle hijack mechanic similar to Just Cause, but much easier to use. The gunplay isn't just cover-based shooting, there's a slow-motion bullet time move that's essential and stylish. Everything just has that little extra touch to make it feel "similarly unique", if that makes sense.

Also (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the recreation of Hong Kong is as accurate as they could make it, so it's a really nice, authentic-feeling slice of digital tourism. The city does feel a little more alive than most open-world games of that era managed.

Plus, it plays the Sabre Dance on the classical music radio station. Enough said!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Not having played any of them, then Yakuza 0 vs. Sleeping Dogs vs. GTAV ....which is best?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Can't speak for GTA, but a friend of mine has drawn direct parallels between some of the things I've told her about Sleeping Dogs and the Yakuza series. There may be a point in the near future, after a little more research, where I consider trying the Yakuza franchise; if so, I'm sure I'll be comparing them in any comments I leave laying about here.

I, too, would be interested in hearing the thoughts of anybody who's played both.

One of the big draws about Sleeping Dogs for me personally is that you play a cop. Divided loyalties are fascinating as any narrative progresses, but I've got to have a solid moral start and motivation at the very least (it's why I steer clear of GTA, as they tend to cast you as a criminal). If the protagonists in Yakuza don't share that element, then I might find it tough to try.

EDIT: Ah, @KratosMD weighed in whilst I was typing!

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Th3solution Having played only Sleeping Dogs and GTA V, I'd say GTA V is easily the best of those two. I might give the former a try sometime again, because @RogerRoger sure does a great job of selling it.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I'll add that comment to my growing collection of "Are you sure you don't work for [insert relevant company here]?" replies I've gotten over the years, thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

I'm surprised @RogerRoger has had time to play Sleeping Dogs with all the screen grabbing he has been doing!

Pork bun anyone?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, that's years of pent-up screencapping finally seeing a release to anything beyond my USB stick and laptop screen. I wish I had that kinda time right now!

You've identified another amazing feature of Sleeping Dogs which I actually secretly hate; it always makes me hungry. From the detailed food stands in the Night Market to the street vendors constantly extolling the virtues of pork buns (gosh-darn it, even just typing that out makes me want one), regardless of whether I've just eaten or haven't eaten for days, the impact is always the same. It's gotten so bad at times, I've even been steering clear of the in-game food stat boosts and playing without them!

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

I'm currently playing GTA V and this game is very slowly winning me over more and more. The missions are crazy and the story is getting better and better with the minute. I always knew I would've liked this game, but after Watch Dogs 2 I felt there was no way this game would surprise me. Guess again, GTA is still miles ahead of the pack.

Can't wait to play more!

Kidfried

KALofKRYPTON

Think I had a (albeit slow) rage quit on WipEout online last night

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JJ-firl

Playing Hitman, bought the GOTY edition in a sale a while back. I'm really enjoying the gameplay and the amount of content is going to keep me busy for some time.

Making progress in Burnout Paradise too, just obtained my class 'A' license and starting to know my way around Paradise City. Good fun!

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON How does one rage-quit slowly? Genuinely curious!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Well, was in a session that was pretty full for a few races. It was the only one racing 2048, but it was only C class - which is frustratingly slow, and the guy running the room would only cycle through 3 tracks. I won a couple, placed in a couple and did horrendously in a couple (due to the melee of being in a pack, of course ).
Also the whole room was racing Feisar, it was all very Euro!

I switched from Feisar to the AG Speed ship and took a couple of races. The guy running the session was the main competition and had a fondness for Downtown - which I beat him on in quick succession a couple of times. He moved the class up to A (giving no one chance to reconsider ships or leave the room) after the second time and started the race. I won again (within a hair), as soon as we got back to the lobby he buggered off

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JJ-firl

@Kidfried Barely scratched the surface. Spent a lot of time in the freeform training getting used to the gameplay and experimenting with different ways to tackle missions. I'm well prepared now and looking to start Paris tonight.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Kidfried

@JJ-Firl Cool. Paris and Sapienza are really nice missions. I might get back into this game again too somewhere down the line... whenever I have time.

Kidfried

Quintumply

I'm playing a strange mixture of Burnout Paradise Remastered and Bloodborne at the moment. Once I finish one or the other (will likely be Burnout first!) I'll jump into Far Cry 5 properly.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Oh, it wasn't your rage-quit, it was theirs? That's pretty funny; poor guy, though. When it's something easily accessible like Uncharted 4, rage-quitters are usually just kids who've eaten too much Haribo, but to even consider playing online multiplayer on WipEout must take even a small degree of valid ego. Congratulations on your victories!

@JJ-Firl Well done for spending time in Hitman's training level. As @Kidfried points out, there's some really great levels you've got to look forward to, but they can be a tad overwhelming if you rush to reach them, as I unfortunately discovered. I only truly appreciated Paris and Sapienza when I went back through much later and hunted for trophies and better ranks. All of the levels are great in their own ways; aside from the aforementioned, I really enjoyed unpicking the lavish layered security in Bangkok, and Hokkaido is gorgeous. You're gonna have a great time!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Oh yeah. I've never rage quit. I'd rather take a learning experience than succumb to frustration.

I thought the VR uprising would be a good time to try for the 10 online wins trophy

I think WipEout is more about feeling competent than ego. You can know a track back to front at all speeds, but still not do all that well in competition with actual other people.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

NecuVise

I'm currently enjoying Ratchet and Clank after being initially disappointed in it. It's such a light-hearted and fun-oriented game.

NecuVise

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Good point about online play. I just personally think that it takes something beyond competence to even attempt playing in competition with others, and that's why I said "valid ego" because I've got no problem with good players thinking themselves good and therefore subsequently getting a little bruised when they take a hit or encounter somebody better.

I've rage-crushed a DualShock3 in my hands before, but never rage-quit.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic