Forums

Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)

Posts 281 to 300 of 339

ellsworth004

@colonelkilgore I'm at sword Saint isshin. Took a little break before fighting him to grind out some skill points and prosthetic upgrades. After I beat him I have some early saves on a usb drive, so I'm gonna try to get the other endings.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

colonelkilgore

@ellsworth004 well done dude, some of those mandatory boss fights are legit tests! Good luck with Sword Saint Isshin… I still have to return to the game myself as I have a little mopping up to do.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 and congrats on beating Sekiro to you too… the more the merrier on the From Soft bandwagon 🚎

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @colonelkilgore @velio84 I moved the convo over to here.

Yep it is definitely the toughest out of all the From Software games I've played. Regardless of whether you have played the the previous games or not, that is still gonna be the case. I found it an almost pure skill based game, as you can't grind to make your character OP or call in for help.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @JohnnyShoulder I hadn’t planned on getting Sekiro, but at least now I’m considering it. Being able to make it through Returnal recently helped build my confidence, although I know they’re nothing alike, but just being able to stick with a game long enough to learn the skills needed to conquer it and the boss patterns, which is what it sounds like is the main aspect involved in Sekiro.

I also already own Nioh (via PS+) and in my mind I put them in the same category, but maybe that’s not a good way to think of the game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah I’m sure you would have the ability and fortitude to build the necessary skills… it just could be a bit painful as you do so. And I agree, while Returnal is undoubtedly a different type of game… the stick-to-it-iveness you developed on that is the most important asset you could have in Sekiro.

… and with Nioh is strangely far more Souls than Sekiro, considering that they are both set in a Myth-inspired Japan.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@velio84 Glad you are still enjoying it. You are free to tackle any area as you wish, but there is a natural order that you can follow. Like you said, if you are suddenly getting one hit killed or something, then you can try any area you may have missed.

I think I tackled the Abandoned Dungeon a bit later in my playtime There is a certain type of enemy which is more tolerable if you use a certain item on them, which can only be found in numbers later on in the game.

Guardian Ape was my favourite boss in the game. When he chucks his poison poo at you, well that was just the icing on the cake. 🤣

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

CJD87

@velio84 Reading your comment is like looking into a mirror...!

I loved every second with Sekiro, and it was actually my first FS game. IMO it was incredibly difficult at points, bordering on frustrating, but still managed to feel 'fair'. There were a number of bosses that took me several hours and multiple deaths - the Guardian Apes x 2 very nearly being my breaking point!

Then Isshin hit me like a train, and I felt exactly the same as you... if I hadn't invested so much time in prevailing over all the previous obstacles in the game then I would have given up for sure. It took me a couple fo weeks to beat Isshin, and I lost count of my deaths during this process.

It tainted the game slightly for me, but he can definitely be bested! I am honestly a pretty 'casual' gamer, and if I can beat him then you definitely can mate.

My only bit of advice would be this: prepare for a LONG fight and pick your moments v carefully to attack.

Phase 1 (Genericho): You have this down already, but I would say that if you need to use any resurrections here then just restart immediately. Double Ichimonji (?) was the main skill I used here. Quite easy after a lot of tries, but aim is to take pretty much zero damage.

Phase 2 (Isshin 1): From memory this is actually not too hard, vs phases 3/4. I switched out my skill to Mortal Draw here. There are many occasions that Isshin will lunge at you, leaving himself open for Mortal Draw. I would say not to get greedy, let him lunge and hit him with just one mortal draw and then be prepared to block and/or jump backwards quickly to avoid any counters.

Phase 3 (Isshin 2): I think this is when sh*t gets ridiculous and he starts jumping around with a spear + firing a gun (!). This was the hardest phase for me by a long shot, and took me a long time to get down. In the end, I was basically waiting for him to do him overhead jump slam with the spear, which leaves him open for about a second. I then hit him with a quick stab (just one!) and bailed... rinse and repeat. Took some time, but doable.

Phase 4 (Isshin 3) - same as above, wait for that brief opening after he does the jump/slam with his spear. Then just one quick jab and run. This is actually a slightly easier phase than before, as you have the chance to reverse his lightning attacks back and do extra damage (or just run away/dodge)

Honestly you can do this, but just be prepared for a long fight! Let us know how you get on?

CJD87

ellsworth004

@velio84 I too am struggling with final boss, I have taken a break. I am afraid I have waited to go back too long and may need alot of practice to get my skills back to where they were. I hate that guy!

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

johncalmc

The last boss in Sekiro is harder than a coffin nail. There were multiple times I genuinely thought I'd never be able to do it and I'd have to just give up.

johncalmc

Twitter:

CJD87

@johncalmc - As much as I wouldn't wish to impose my own struggles on others, it is quite comforting to see that many players have struggled with Isshin! What was your method/secret to winning?

Whilst I was confident beating the Genericho phase, and then Isshin #1, during Isshin #2/3 I basically had to resort to stabbing him (only ONCE!) during each time he jumped and threw down his spear. It is like a 0.5 second opening to jab once, then I ran /rinsed /repeated... felt like it took forever.

I'm all for 'difficult' games, but honestly this last boss nearly ruined the entire Sekiro experience for me! Up until Isshin the game still felt rock hard, but I always felt that eventually I would 'git gud' enough to prevail.

OT - What was your favorite boss in the game? And/or most challenging? (Aside from Isshin)

CJD87

johncalmc

@CJD87 I honestly can't remember because it was quite a while ago. What I do remember though is that whatever I did, it felt cheesy. Like, it wasn't a cheese, he wasn't trapped in a wall or anything, but I'm pretty sure I got into a loop of just doing the same thing over and over. I think there was an attack he had that was easy to dodge and then follow up on and I kept doing that.

I really don't remember Sekiro as well as I'd like. I only played it the one time. I would very much like to play it again at some point, but there's just so many games and Sekiro is really, really tough. Sekiro is way tougher than any of the Souls games.

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@velio84 Well done dude! That is defo one of the toughest boss fight for me too. Did you do any o the optional bosses?

JohnnyShoulder

@velio84 Yeah those were the two I was thinking off. Again both difficult fights. I don't blame you for taking a break, it can be a pretty intense experience.

Tatarimokke

@JohnnyShoulder @velio84 Hello guys! I'm not sure if this topic is still active but I'd like to have a bit of advice from those who completed the game. I completed all Fromsoft games several times before but it doesn't matter here Sekiro is another cup of tea. All the knowledge I have is pretty much useless here.
I've started playing Sekiro 5 days ago and it was entertaining and absolutely manageable until the point i met Genichiro again. I learned his pattern and now I am able to reach the third phase fairly quickly with enough gourds left. In the third phase I die in seconds. Everyone saying that's the easiest phase but not for me unfortunately. I'd be grateful some advice.

Edited on by Tatarimokke

Tatarimokke

colonelkilgore

@Tatarimokke you need to reflect his lightning mate. Think you have to be mid-air as you reflect it iirc.

**** DLC!

Mega-Gazz

It’s been a while, but I seem to remember the enhanced mortal sword thing working well if you can’t deflect the lightning

Mega-Gazz

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic