Forums

Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)

Posts 221 to 240 of 339

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder I got a bit lucky. I got right in his face. I was never more than a foot away from him. Whenever he jumped in the air I dodged to the right, that seemed to work. I think it helps that I've mastered the Mikiri counter, at long last.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Yeah the mikiri counter is probs the best move you can unlock.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

andreoni79

I was a bit disappointed at first by the realistic setting of the first maps, but when I reached Mt. Kongo, the Sunken Valley and the Mibo village everything changed.
If they succesfully mix Souls and Sekiro, then Elder Ring will be a milestone as the first Dark Souls.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 Wait till you get to the last area, if you could leave messages it would be full of ones saying 'Gorgeous View'. There are some fantastical stuff in the game, enemies such as the Headless and Shamans are well weird, and the former freaked me out whenever I faced them.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Gremio108

The Guardian Ape. What a fight that was. I don't think a boss has tested me that much since the Nameless King on New Game+.

I stayed up until 2am last night trying to beat the guy. I was afraid if I went to bed I'd lose the knack of fighting him. Once I figured out how to tell when his terror scream was coming, I knew it was a matter of time before I got him. God it was satisfying when he finally fell.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Think that was my fave boss fight! I love how the two phases are totally different. And the second phase you have to change your mindset to how you approach most previous bosses. Once i figured out to hang back a bit and not get in his face i found it pretty straight forward. That took me ages though and it was still a tricky fight! Deflecting his overhead smash was key for me, which staggered him and left him open for a few hits.

Also props for taking on The Nameless King in new game+! Once was more than enough for me and I never wanted to face that bar steward again!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder This was exactly my problem. I was trying to play phase 2 like I played phase 1. Also, I was a bit put off by the strangeness of it all. That, and the fact that the hand he threw poo at me with was the same hand he did his grab attack with. I found that upsetting.

I don't think I parried him once on my successful go. I've been getting along nicely with Sekiro's parry system, but it just wasn't working for me in this fight, not one bit. It was a dodge-and-sprintfest for me. Good tip about the overhead smash though, I'll use that for NG+. That was one of his easier attacks to read.

I didn't have a problem with the Nameless King first time around, which I think is what led to my NG+ problems. I didn't memorise any of his moves when I first played him, and there was no lucky breezing through on NG+. So I was just getting slaughtered. And I mean absolutely caned. I was stuck on that fight for days on end. Nameless King+ is still my all-time hardest Soulsborne fight. For now. I think I had to beat him again for the platinum, but I avoided him on all subsequent playthoughs, haven't touched him since!

What's your toughest Soulsborne/Sekiro boss?

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Yeah it took ages to get over the craziness of the situation. The first time it happened it took me by total surprise. I didn't notice his poo hand is his grab hand! Yuck!

Nameless King too, it took me forever to beat him and then eventually with a buddy too. Or maybe the Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne, still not beaten it. The randoms I've tried pairing up have been no help and just stand there watching me lol.

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, the Orphan of Kos. I hated that one. That was one of those bosses where I don't know how I did it, it just eventually sort of happened.

Co-op can be a mixed bag. If the other person starts taking it easy, or dies early on, then you're left fighting a boosted version of the boss all on your lonesome. Some bosses are better fought alone.

andreoni79

I'm stuck at the Guardian Ape boss fight. No problem with phase 1, but on phase 2 he always finds a way to kill me... Any suggeste tool?

Gremio108

@andreoni79 Yes loads!

Don't aggro him like you have to in the first phase. I stuck to his backside like the remains of one of those turds he likes to throw about so much, this made it unnecessarily difficult for me. But eventually I realised there is more time to back off and take a breather in phase 2. If you keep your distance and wait for him to do that weird hypnotic forward attack where he wriggles towards you in a snake-like motion, you can easily jump that and wail on his monkey a**.

Learn to read when his terror scream attack is coming (this took me ages and was a game-changer for me). Blood spurts from his neck stump just before he's about to do it.

Next up, a couple of things I didn't find out until after the fight, which I wish I'd known (my self-imposed rule is not to look up a boss online until after I've beaten it once. This really annoys me because I sometimes find out things that would have saved me a lot of time):

The umbrella blocks his terror scream completely. If you can get the brolly up you can pretty much just sit right next to him while he screams the place down. I think even just the standard version of the umbrella works for this.

The overhead slam move that @JohnnyShoulder mentioned, if you deflect that, you can use the loaded spear to hook the centipede out of his neck hole and do an absolute ton of posture damage. I'm guessing you have to be positioned right in front of him for this to work. I was hugging his rear end the entire time, so I never got the pleasure. I'm definitely trying that move on NG+

andreoni79

@Gremio108 Thanks! I've never used the umbrella thing and I should give it a try. I've learned to avoid his scream and most of his attacks, but as soon as his health drops to 20/30% I start to die. 😭
The weather forecasts say rain for the whole sunday: I hope one day will be enough to beat him!

Edited on by andreoni79

Gremio108

@andreoni79 No, I've hardly used the umbrella at all. In hindsight, I should've used it crossing the rope bridge at the gun fort too.

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 The umbrella tool is well handy, it is good for defending against ranged attacks. Upgraded to the Phoenix's Lilac Umbrella will negate most attacks from Apparition enemies, such as the Headless and Shichimen Warrior. You can also use it to store up energy from their attacks and fire them back at em, if you have the Projected Force skill.

Firecrackers work well to stun him in the first stage. Flame vent also works a treat as the fire will still damage him after the initial attack.

Second stage I hung back and learnt to read his moves, only really attacking him when he does two moves. The first one is the snaking attack you can jump over him and then get 2-3 hits on him max. If you get the timing right you can do one of those! jump counter attacks on him.

The second is the overhead slam which is heavily telegraphed (tbh both moves are). This has quite a large window of opportunity, and once deflected it will inflict massive stagger, allowing for a quick flurry of hits before the Guardian Ape recovers. I did try using the spear, but I could never get the positioning or timing right. Deflecting this will also deal him a lot of posture damage.

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder I need to mix up my prosthetics. I've been sticking to the axe and the shruiken, only using the firecrackers occasionally. In the heat of the moment I've been forgetting to use firecrackers and the flame vent I've barely touched.

In seems like in this game there is always a weapon or move which, if you can find it, completely changes the fight.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 I think I used 3 - 4 on a regular basis. The others like the whistle finger thing and the spear as I just couldn't get the hang off them, so rarely used em.
It's good to have a variety of prosthetic tools that you are familiar with, as some are more useful against certain enemies.

The umbrella for instance can be upgraded to protect you from fire damage, which is essential later on. One of the optional later bosses I found almost impossible without it.

Firecrackers are really good against most enemies and not just beasts. Saved me a few times when I was almost a gonner.

andreoni79

I've just defeated the Guardian Ape! My problem was I ignored the deflect-combo that leads him to use the overhead attack: the spear then destroyed his posture with 3 attempts.
That makes me get the first Sekiro silver trophy... With other games you get one only for picking up flowers or talking to npcs 😂

Edited on by andreoni79

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Have you got any advice for beating the second Owl fight at Hirata Estate, in the burning room where Lady Butterfly was? This fight is well and truly kicking my backside. I can get him down to about half health on his first phase, but he does such huge posture damage that it's just a matter of time until he slices and dices me.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Certainly bro, that was on tough mo fo. In my top 3 hardest of the game. I slightly cheesed him to be honest as he was destroying me trying to take him straight up. It is still quite tricky though! The trick is to keep your distance so he runs towards you and he basically only does 3 of his moves. These can be easily dodged once you can read which one of the moves he will pull off and get the timing right.

This video explains it properly:
https://youtu.be/Rh6Ha5BYh0s

Or if you want to do it 'properly' this video will be helpful:
https://youtu.be/mMOyPcJd8YI

Good luck!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic