Forums

Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 OT

Posts 141 to 160 of 431

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Haha, Yeah I keep pushing that button for the map and then suddenly I’m in first person view.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Thrillho Brilliant! Thanks for sharing! So many little tips and tricks.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HUMPERDOO

What's everyone's favourite random encounter so far? For me it has to be the time I stopped for a guy who was trying to re-shoe his horse and, when I greeted him and he turned to say hi back, the horse bucked and kicked him in the head, killing him instantly. I couldn't stop laughing. It all happened so fast it was just a perfect little piece of random comedy!

Edited on by HUMPERDOO

HUMPERDOO

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried @Th3solution I'm guessing you are unable customise the controls then?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Splat

Chapter 3.

Sean's death caught me totally by surprise.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Ya know, now that you say it, I seemed to remember seeing a customization option, but I can’t be certain. I’ll have to check when I boot it up later tonight.
I typically don’t customize controls because then it makes it hard to learn things from online references like the list posted by @Thrillho But if I could only change the touchpad into the map button and leave all else the same, then that might be worth trying.
You definitely can toggle the run mechanic to be just press X instead of having to hold X, and you can do an accessibility change on the repeated button prompts like most games have and I definitely changed that to be more forgiving. 😅

Tjuz

@PaperyWhiteBoy Definitely when I saw a drunk guy in Valentine and had to help him get home, only for his wife to leave him on the porch after he knocked to come in.

Tjuz

andreoni79

I have to stop reading this topic, too many people spoiling these little funny events...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

ApostateMage

I clicked on @Splat's spoiler. Wish I hadn't.

My funniest random event was the one where two fellas are trying to crack a safe with dynamite and when I greeted them they looked up for a second in surprise and blew themselves up. Flying body parts everywhere!

ApostateMage

ApostateMage

@Splat Na, it's cool. It was my own gosh darn fault for reading a spoiler tag.

ApostateMage

Th3solution

@johncalmc It appears you’re the only one to have finished the game (and reported it anyways) on the forum. Most people seem to be wandering around hunting or aimlessly exploring and discovering all the hidden experiences in the immaculately crafted world. What was your approach? Did you power through and just mainly hit all the yellow story missions? Did you do all the white ones too? Did you do much hunting, fishing, playing poker, exploring about robbing stagecoaches and trains, etc? Do you agree with 10/10? Obviously you liked it but I am curious about the details. I’m still in chapter 2, and honestly I’m struggling a little bit to keep my motivation for the long haul because of the sheer breadth of things. Words of encouragement or advice? I hear the ending is fantastic and so I really need to get there and I’m considering a streamlined approach that gets me there the quickest but that’s typically not in my nature in open world games as I get a little ADD and wander around when I see something shiny and interesting.

Edited on by Th3solution

johncalmc

@Th3solution I was actually off work - not intentionally for Red Dead, just a happy coincidence - and my fiancee is a big gamer so that meant there wasn't any, "Oi get off the PlayStation I wanna watch Bargain Hunt!" to slow me down. So it might seem like I did it quickly but I was playing it like eight hours a day in my pyjamas.

I think it took me around sixty hours or so but I couldn't find a timer so I don't really know.

I did almost everything, without going around and hunting every single animal or fish or whatever. I did most side-quests but unfortunately didn't realise that some side-quests disappear at certain points in the story and so I missed out on them.

I spent quite a long time fishing and hunting but didn't try to be completionist about it. I caught a few legendary fish, and hunted some legendary animals. I played a lot of poker. I spent a ludicrous amount of time changing my wardrobe and grooming my beard. Went to a few cabaret shows. I did a lot.

I definitely agree with the 10. This game is such a 10. It genuinely feels like a watershed moment, the sort of game where we look back and talk about how it changed things going forward. The open world is just so detailed, so wonderfully realised, it's like The Last of Us but in an open world which is nuts. You'll see the further you go through the game just how big it is, just how much there is to do, just how varied the missions are, the characters, everything. It's a masterpiece. The only downsides are the archaic controls and that I didn't think some systems were explained very well.

Advice:

It's a slow-burner, but the rewards are there. It's - again - more Last of Us than Uncharted. Things unfold over a long period of time, but the story is really good, and I personally loved the finale. I don't think I would have - or not as much - in a shorter game. The long game pays off, and by the time it goes turbo towards the end you should be so invested in the characters that it means something. It did for me. I was out of my chair cheering it on and everything. But I'm a massive dork, so.

A lot of the camp stuff doesn't matter as much as it might seem, so if you're feeling overwhelmed with stuff to do - I did at the start once it first opened up - then you don't really need to do the whole hunting for supplies to keep everyone happy thing. Money is surprisingly easy to come by, and you can just buy meat and stuff rather than hunting if you'd prefer.

Do all of the side-quests. They're just as well written as the main storyline, and some of them seem super important in adding flavour to how the story unfolds, particularly the money lending things for Strauss, and the quests that spawn from them. Do everything available to you before you do the yellow missions so you don't miss out on anything, because like I said some missions just disappear at certain story points.

Always make sure you're wearing something cool. You might be surprised by when the finale arrives - I was, it's not sign-posted with a "hey you're at the point of no return" thing - and I wish I hadn't been wearing my ridiculous yellow chaps.

Honestly, I finished it on Sunday and I didn't play anything yesterday because I couldn't face another game. I'm genuinely thinking about starting it again and going for the platinum, even though that means playing the online bit when it arrives, because I'm so in love with the world and the characters.

If you have any more questions I can answer them in a mysterious and non-spoilery way.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@johncalmc Thanks! That’s a very helpful bit of advice and encouragement. If you’re willing for more questions, then I have some.
-Did you die frequently in your playthrough? Did you find the difficulty to be high at any point?
-How much did you focus on building and managing your cores and your horses cores? That stuff seems like a bit of a chore, but I’m kinda thinking that things will build sorta naturally, but I don’t know.
-What percent of the trophies came naturally in doing your playthrough and did you do much going out of your way for a specific trophy, or just get what comes naturally?
-I’m guessing you’ve played all the big releases, (Spider-Man, GoW, etc) and so I am guessing this is your GOTY so far? If so, by how far would you call say it is superior to whatever is your second favorite of the year? It sounds like it blows it all away.

johncalmc

@Th3solution

Did you die frequently in your playthrough? Did you find the difficulty to be high at any point?

Not really. You kind of have to play with auto-aim because the controls are garbage town - or I did - and so I never found combat particularly difficult. I was happy with that. I know a challenge can be fun, but honestly I was happy that it was consistently manageable because it kept the pace of the game flowing. Some missions are harder than others but I don't think I ever died more than once or twice on a particular one.

How much did you focus on building and managing your cores and your horses cores? That stuff seems like a bit of a chore, but I’m kinda thinking that things will build sorta naturally, but I don’t know.

I honestly didn't do much with any of it intentionally. It just happens as you play the game. I generally kept myself to the day/night cycle, going to bed at night time and questing during the day. So you get plenty of sleep to maintain your cores, but you don't need to go out of your way to level up as it'll just happen.

What percent of the trophies came naturally in doing your playthrough and did you do much going out of your way for a specific trophy, or just get what comes naturally?

I never look at trophies until I've finished the story just in case anything gets spoiled for me. So all of them came naturally and by the time I was finished I think I had 32%. Some of them look like a bit of a slog so I probably won't end up going for them.

I’m guessing you’ve played all the big releases, (Spider-Man, GoW, etc) and so I am guessing this is your GOTY so far? If so, by how far would you call say it is superior to whatever is your second favorite of the year? It sounds like it blows it all away.

I've played most of the big games (I haven't played Spider-Man) and until I played Red Dead I didn't think anything had a chance of touching God of War. I loved that game. And God of War is really great. But Red Dead Redemption II is so next level that it's not even funny. I don't think it'll be everyone's cup of tea - it's not as readily likeable as God of War, not as pick up and play. It's a real slow burner and if you don't like character and story in games then it ain't for you. But I appreciate all that stuff and it's just so well made that I can't imagine any other game topping it in 2018.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@johncalmc Cool. Okay, I’ll go one further— Is Red Dead Redemption 2 your favorite game of this entire generation? And does it make your best-games-of-all-time list?

johncalmc

@Th3solution For me personally, off the top of my head, I think Red Dead Redemption II is about level with Persona 5 as my favourite of the generation. I really have a soft spot for Persona though. All time best list? Probably. If not top ten, definitely top twenty.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.