Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 2,111

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge Have you tried Wreckfest? That is also on Extra. I very briefly played it as I found out I wasn't in the mood for, so need to go back tomit and give it a proper chance.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder Nope. It reminds me a bit of the PS1 game Destruction Derby. Might have to give it a try as well if I get a month of Extra, it looks pretty fun!

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge I've heard nothing but good things from people that have sunk some time into it, and there are more traditional races too. Can't remember if those were in Destruction Derby as all I can think of are those bowl like arenas.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

After dabbling a lot in the racing genre, I've become a bit interested in the 2D fighting genre now. The thing is though that I don't know much about the games on offer. Just like with racing games, I primarily play these games in single-player mode, which is unfortunate because 2D fighting games are mostly known for the multiplayer aspect. So I'm wondering, are there any 2D fighting games that have a decent story mode? It doesn't have to be too long considering a lot of these games are fairly cheap.

The ones that have caught my interest are Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Street Fighter V, Soul Calibur VI and Mortal Kombat 11.

LtSarge

Ryall

@LtSarge Soul Calibur and Tekken are 3-D fighting games. As a single player game I prefer Soul Calibur.

I can’t really comment about the 2-D games since I don’t really play 2-D fighters.

Ryall

LtSarge

@Ryall Thanks for the input, I'll keep Soul Calibur in mind!

LtSarge

sorteddan

@LtSarge
Not really my genre either but I did play through story modes and arcade modes with all characters (I think) on both Injustice games. I enjoyed them as it was obviously DC characters, many of whom I was already familiar with. The games had some nice touches and it's always a bonus being able to punch Superman in the head.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

RogerRoger

@LtSarge If you're mentioning Injustice 2 because it's on Game Pass, then it's neat that you can access it right away for "free" but be warned, its story is a direct sequel to Injustice: Gods Among Us and therefore might not make much sense as a standalone, especially because it moves at such a breakneck pace. At the very least, I'd recommend watching a recap of the first game on YouTube before diving in. Failing that, I'm sure it's dirt-cheap in both digital and physical form, given its age.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@LtSarge I can only speak to SoulCalibur and the two Iniustice games, but if I were to comment on the story aspects, I can’t even remember what the SoulCalibur story was. 😅 I’m sure it was decent enough, but at least I remember the Injustice story’s basic beats a couple years later. So I’d definitely give the nod to Injustice as far as story goes. It also has really good fighting mechanics and looks beautiful, especially Injustice 2.

Take all this with a grain of salt because I’m not very seasoned on the fighting game genre and like you have only dabbled in it from time to time. Having interest in the DC Universe helps make Injustice more attractive as well, so your mileage may vary.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@sorteddan @RogerRoger @Th3solution Sounds like I'll be getting Injustice then! Luckily, I already have the first game so I'll just buy the second one since it's dirt cheap right now (around €10). I also like DC so it's perfect for me.

I might also get Soul Calibur VI. So for now, I think I'm content with getting these two games. Thanks for the help guys!

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge I’ll be interested in what you think. I’m pretty sure you’ll like Injustice 1&2. And think you’ll like SoulCalibur VI also, even though it’s the weaker SP story, it has a really fun cast and has a pretty intricate character creator, which I always enjoy. Injustice has unlockable skins for the characters, which is fun also, but there’s some real satisfaction to be had by messing around with the SC char creator and making a crazy looking fighter and choosing what fighting style to attach to it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

oliverp

Infamous second son is a nice game I can recommend to those of you who are looking for something interesting to play.

oliverp

LtSarge

@Th3solution Will be sure to tag you whenever I get around to playing those games!

LtSarge

HallowMoonshadow

Hey @RogerRoger... How would rate Team Sonic Racing for someone who'd mainly be interested in it for the single player aspects?

You are the resident Sonic fan after all Rog and I'm 99% sure I've heard you talk about it before

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Anti-Matter

Try these games if you have different interest in gaming.

Youtubers Life 2
Epic Chef
Dodgeball Academia

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@HallowMoonshadow It's a good game for what it is. Keep in mind that it was always a budget release, sold for £35 at launch. I imagine it sells for pennies today, which'll make it a bargain.

It has a substantial story mode called "Team Adventure" which takes in seventy-four events across the game's twenty-one courses, and should keep you busy for a while (the storyline itself is presented with text boxes and 2D sprites, although there's full voice acting). Beyond that, there are the usual Grand Prix, Mirror, Time Trial and online multiplayer modes, but they're all pretty basic. Your patience for them will depend entirely on your mood, or how enjoyable you find the core gameplay.

The A.I. for the team-based racing mechanic works pretty well, and is balanced to ensure a healthy challenge, but you'll never be robbed if you're the clear winner. There's also a surprising amount of customisation options for everybody's vehicles, which can be fun if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks for thinking of me, and hope you enjoy it if you do decide to give it a try!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

For a new copy it goes for about £17 at the cheapest I've seen @RogerRoger so not quite pennies but definitely cheaper then it was at launch 😄

Good to know though. 21 courses was actually a bit more then I was expecting and it seems to have a pretty decent roster of characters too.

I could do with both another Sonic game & another racing game too (Especially as Crash Team Racing makes me feel a little cold with all the Activision Blizzard stuff).

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@HallowMoonshadow Yeah, I reckon anything under £20 sounds about right for your level of interest. If you haven't played a kart racer in a while (and I totally agree with your stance toward the obvious alternative, by the way) then it should keep you engaged a little longer than most.

Some of those twenty-one courses originally appeared in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and its sequel, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, so if you've played either of those games before then there will be some familiar scenery, but the majority of the track layouts are new. The character roster is pretty comprehensive; some of the team allocations are a bit strange, but they're worth it if it means getting to play as your favourite character, and teams get randomly assigned in the standalone modes anyway.

If you do bite, let us know what you think, please!

Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

I think team sonic racing was free earlier this year , and the online was (apparently still) busted so i installed the game into the recycle bin 😂 basically

nomither6

RogerRoger

@nomither6 Didn't know the online was broken. I've played it a couple of times, with folks from here and with randoms, and never had any problems (beyond it being a bit sluggish and counter-intuitive).

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic