Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 2,111

sorteddan

@avatarian
go have a look at the 'What PS5 games are you playing' thread for the last week, we have been discussing it there. My vote would be no. I got it free with PS+ and still regret the purchase.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

CJD87

@avatarian I would have to agree with @sorteddan - I would personally not recommend FFVIIR.

It is one of the few/only games I felt I had to 'force' myself to finish... A lot of bloat and 'filler', alongside a combat mode that doesn't really kick into gear until you can access Hard Mode. (You have to beat the game on regular difficulty first to unlock this)

If you're a JRPG fan, I would perhaps recommend instead that you go with Dragon Quest XI instead, assuming you have not already played. This is a JRPG that is far more comfortable in its own skin, with a nuanced turn-based battle system and skill-trees which work really well. A quirky and likeable cast of characters, with a plot that does get surprisingly dark and high-stakes towards mid game.

If you don't mind a retro experience, some of the older Final Fantasy games are exquisite. IMO, FF7 and FF9 from PS1 era are amazin - FF9 being my personal favorite. FF10 and FF12 are also good, and more modern. If you are looking for an entry point to the FF series, my overall recommendation would be FF10... which is very accessible.

You can buy the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for about <£13 GBP, which is a steal.

So if you want a new modern experience, go for DQXI... and if you're keen to get into FF series I would say to pick up the FFX/X2 HD remaster. (Or FF9 if you want to go a bit more old school!)

CJD87

KilloWertz

@avatarian Not criticizing the other opinions as nobody will like every game, and obviously you asked for opinions, but also (to potentially confuse you more) I would not totally dismiss the game because two people hated it either. There are people on here, including myself, that absolutely loved it.

My honest recommendation would be to download the demo and see if you like the game's combat. Or at least watch a playthrough of somebody playing the game on YouTube for a little while to see if the game seems like it would really appeal to you.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Ok, thanks @sorteddan @CDJ87 & @KilloWertz

Think I will check the demo and maybe add something to the discussion in the PS5 forum mentioned. Hopefully the demo is not just advertisement for the full version.

Edited on by avatarian

You are a gamer, hold your head up high.

PSN: Avatarian598

KilloWertz

@avatarian It's not. It's the whole beginning of the game. There's just a cutoff point with it being a demo of course.

There's 2 l's in my name, btw...

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

Wondering about a couple games on sale currently —

At some point I put Tacoma on my PSN wishlist and it popped up on the latest sale for only $5. I don’t really even remember why I put it on my wishlist other than I must have read praise about it at some point. Perhaps I placed it on the list because I liked the studio’s earlier efforts with Gone Home. I don’t know. Can anyone recommend Tacoma? The PS review seemed decent enough and $5 is a hardly a very large investment.

Secondly, Death’s Door. On sale for $12. I know many people will enthusiastically recommend this, but I am skeptical if it’s really my kind of game. I don’t have any history with the older Zelda games, to which this has some comparison. There’s really nothing particularly engaging to me at face value, but at a low price I thought I’d at least look into it. Is it really all that great for someone who’s not necessarily a fan of isometric Metroidvania type games? It supposedly has Soulslike qualities too, which could be a positive or a negative, depending. It’s not a game I planned to get but for a cheap price, I couldn’t ignore looking into it because of the ubiquitous praise. Would be a good PS+ game to try for free, but I’m not sure I’ll upgrade yet.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@avatarian I really enjoyed FF7R and got the platinum on PS4 and replayed it with the DLC on PS5. The original game is one of my all time favourites though.

There is a lot of filler to pad out what the first game covered and some of the JRPG dialogue/voice acting does my head in but it looks fantastic and the combat is brilliant fun.

I was always sceptical of how they’d do but loved the demo and got the game as soon as it came out.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@Th3solution Death’s Door is a cool little game. I really liked the art style and overall vibe of the game, and I don’t mind the isometric style in games.

The combat is solid with some good boss fights. The Metroidvania element is fairly minimal other than the abilities being needed to unlock areas but also helping mix up combat.

My main frustrations were the lack of a map (particularly when backtracking for collectibles) and a lack of count of collectibles you have.

I don’t remember it being overly long and you can easily leave the side stuff and post game bits alone if you want to just blast through it.

Thrillho

Anti-Matter

If you like quirky farming sim + cooking games, you can consider Epic Chef PS4.

Anti-Matter

Th3solution

@Thrillho Thanks for the info. Good to know it’s not terribly long and that the Metroidvania elements aren’t complex. I’ll let it simmer for a while. I usually like to try the major shakers in the industry, but I’ll probably wait and see if the mood strikes. $12 is like what, two gallons of gasoline? 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thanks @Thrillho for your opinion about the remake of FF7.
To be honest, I tried the demo and decided to go for the full game. Too bad I will get only a part of the main story from the original though, but as long as combat/gameplay can compensate, I am good.

@Anti-matter or, you can actually try cooking irl (?)

Edited on by avatarian

You are a gamer, hold your head up high.

PSN: Avatarian598

LtSarge

I've been thinking about checking out some racing franchises that I've missed out on and would like to know which games are worth getting. Apparently, it's very hard to find older racing titles, which I guess makes sense because these games don't change much from entry to entry so the companies want people to buy the latest one and not the older ones. But that's made me regretful because I feel like there are so many games that I won't be able to play now just because I didn't buy them in time and I want to change that.

The ones I'm able to buy now are Dirt 4 and 5, Grid Legends and Onrush. It's quite sad that the offerings are so few lol, but I genuinely can't find any store selling Dirt Rally 1 and 2, Grid (2019) and so on. I have no interest in the Gran Turismo series because the PS4 titles are online only. Same reason as to why I'm not interested in The Crew series. Luckily, I have a digital copy of DriveClub plus the season pass content, so I'm definitely going to play that in the future. I'm also planning on buying Project Cars 2 and 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Heat, as well as Burnout Paradise. The only ones I'm unsure about getting are Dirt 4 and 5, Grid Legends and Onrush since I don't know much about them.

Forgot to mention that I primarily play racing games for the single-player component. However, I don't mind if some racing games have 10 hour career modes or 30 hours. But if there's no career mode or a very short one, then I'm not interested in playing that game.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge I believe they added single player to GT Sport in PS4, and you can totally play The Crew as a single player too. I know I did!

If you prefer arcade racers to simulation, Burnout Paradise is probably the best out of the games you mentioned. The Need for Speed games are also quite fun to play. I would put Dirt 5 behind those but I've yet to finish it, and it is not open world like the others. I'm not into racing simulation games, so can't vouch for any of those.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder The issue is that you need an online connection to play GT Sport and The Crew. Once the servers shut down, my physical copies of the games will be useless. The only way I'll play them is through a subscription service. Granted, there is PS+ Extra and Premium now. Do you know if they are available to play on there?

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge Both The Crew games are on PS+ Extra as part of the Ubisoft+ Classics collection. I don't believe GT Sport is or has ever been on any of the subs services, expect maybe for time on PS Now at one point, but I could be wrong on that.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder Nice, that's good to know. If I ever subscribe to PS+ Extra (primarily to play Stray), I'll make sure to check out The Crew as well while I can.

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge I didn’t get on with Onrush at all. It was a PS+ freebie and I played it for a couple of days between finishing one game and going on holiday but never bothered with it again.

Similarly, the Dirt game that came up on PS+ recently didn’t do it for me either.

But I really enjoyed Need For Speed: Payback as it doesn’t take itself seriously as a sort of Fast and Furious: The Game but had a nice mix of race types with lots of other stuff in the open world, and loads of customisable real world cars. I’ve not played any of the games since though.

Thrillho

LtSarge

@Thrillho Yeah I think I might skip Onrush as it doesn't feel that compelling to play. I did play a bit of Dirt 5 earlier today and I enjoyed it. It reminds me of DriveClub a fair amount. So I think I might get it as well on top of having already ordered Dirt 4.

I actually played Payback a lot months ago on Game Pass and you're right, it's a great game. I don't think I'll be buying it though since I'm quite a ways into the career mode that I'll probably be finishing it up during the remainder of my Game Pass subscription. Need for Speed Heat seems to have massively improved upon Payback's formula, so I'm looking forward to giving that a go in the future.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge I enjoyed Dirt 5 for what it was. It was more fun than I thought it would be. I have an official extended review over on the review thread if you’re interested.

I also actually enjoyed OnRush. It’s unique for a racing game, mostly because it’s not actually ‘racing’ per se. It’s not the simple goal of just being the first to cross a finish line, and in fact there is no finishing line in any of the modes, if I recall correctly. It’s more diverse in the objectives and they involve collecting boost, smashing other cars in some team or individual based games. The point of most game modes is to go fast, so not to worry — it has plenty of that important sense of speed. But it takes getting used to since you’re not necessarily trying to just out run the opponents. It’s hard to explain. Nevertheless it’s pretty fun, but definitely not something to play if you’re looking for a traditional racing game. I didn’t realize it wasn’t racing when I started playing it and was expecting to be like MotorStorm, but I eventually grew to like it.

LtSarge

@Th3solution I'm mostly looking into traditional racing games so I think I'll skip Onrush for now. I had a hard time getting into the MotorStorm franchise but who knows, maybe I'll give it another go in the future and that might entice me to get Onrush.

I read your review of Dirt 5 and it was good! Sounds like you had a fun time with it, I definitely want to get it now.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic