Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,641 to 1,660 of 2,111

Thrillho

@Th3solution On the plus side, if you've got this far without spoiling the story then waiting a little longer shouldn't matter too much!

Why not use the money on an indie game that you might otherwise not get instead (other than the whole backlog thing of course..)?

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Jimmy_VNC82

Anyone else noticed buying the ps4 version of games that include the free ps5 upgrade are cheaper than buying the straight up ps5 game? For example...fifa, sackboy, and miles morales were added for me this way. Of course I wish I had the ps5 game boxes for discs but not a big deal.

Jimmy_VNC82

PSN: ChillBuckets_4 | Twitter:

Th3solution

@Thrillho Amazingly, I have stayed clear of major spoilers, however just the general discussion around the game since release has me pretty suspicious of a few of the story beats. I’ve not read or heard specifics, but I’m fairly certain about a couple things, just from process of deduction surrounding fanbase reactions.

Yeah, I might just browse the store for some small game to pick up for a few dollars. Most of the indies don’t get physical releases though, which is a bummer. Most of the $10 games are like prior year Madden/FIFA/NBA games, Battlefield 4, Thief, etc. Tempted to take a chance of something completely out of the blue like Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story or Nobungada’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence. 😂 But I want at least something I have some modicum of confidence in, otherwise it’s better to not spend the $5.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Thrillho I actually did briefly look at that. Appreciate the rec. I’ve never been the biggest of platforming fans, but I’ve enjoyed some of them. Particularly if they also have some kind of a strong narrative

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution If you want a platformer with a strong narrative then Horace would be perfect for you. I think it’s only on PC and Switch though.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Ah, the ol' store credit burning a hole in your pocket... and then you end up spending money you never would have, or don't even have spare, just to "get a good deal" or something.

I do have to ask, though; surely the PS5 upgrade for The Last of Us, Part II will be free? It's a recent game, released within a year of Sony's new console. I think there'd be a pretty major outcry if they tried to charge for it, one that might be loud enough to change any initial monetised policy (given how powerful public opinion is becoming and whatnot). So you could buy the PS4 version now, use your credit, and know that you'll eventually get the ray-tracing and fancy hand shakes anyway.

Or is this because you know you'll likely never replay it, not being one who typically replays?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@nessisonett I’ve heard of Horace (maybe it was from you) but don’t know anything about it. I don’t play on PC or Switch. If I ever take the Switch plunge then I’ll keep it in mind

@RogerRoger Yes, it’s a tricky game retailers play. The difference with this one is that the credit expires next week. More like a $5 coupon I guess. But if I don’t use it, I’m sure they’ll drop another one before too long.

As for TLoU2, you’re correct that I’m not likely to replay it for a while and would miss out on the PS5 bells and whistles, so that factors in a little. Although it’s possible a free upgrade might be in order, like Borderlands 3, or Avengers, or maybe even just get a nice free touch-up like Days Gone, but I have suspicions it will be more like what was done with Spider-Man — that is we know that Naughty Dog is working on the Multiplayer piece (not sure if it will be called “Factions” like it was in the first game) and the time and effort it’s apparently taking makes me think it is something quite substantial, reminiscent of Red Dead Online in relation to the single player RDR2. So I think Factions (that’s what I’ll call it) is going to be the Miles Morales of TLoU, if that makes sense. It will be a standalone project, probably be sold for $20 by itself, but come in an “Ultimate Edition” bundle, probably for $40, with the upgraded single player game optimized for Ps5. So similar to Spider-Man, those of us who own the PS4 version are out of luck unless we pay the upgrade fee or buy the Ultimate Ed pack with Miles Morales.
Control is doing a similar thing, only they have no new content that is being bundled with the PS5 version, that I know of. Your “bonus content” is that the game actually runs well and doesn’t lag or crash. (See also Cyberpunk 2077).
If they do decide to offer the PS5 Remaster as a free upgrade for TLoU2, then I would definitely pick it up for $23 now, since that’s close to the floor for the game’s price I think.

It doesn’t bother me as much as other players that when/if I get a PS5 that I won’t get the Remastered Spider-Man content without buying the game again — I got my fun out of it months ago and likely won’t play it again for a long time (if ever). However, if I’d have bought Spidey on PS4 a month or two before I got a PS5, I’d have been miffed I didn’t wait to get the definitive experience.
I have similar emotions as I now continue my Persona 5 playthrough. It’s absolutely my own fault, mind you, because I’ve had the game for ages. But here I sit playing this wonderful game but I’m ever so slightly rankled that I could be playing P5 Royal if I’d have had the foresight to wait. I’m still enjoying the heck out of it, so it’s not that big of a deal, but my brain does think about these things.

MaulTsir

@Th3solution I played TLOU 2 on the PS5 and what I will say is its fantastic, the loading speeds and the graphics and how smooth it ran (I had the disk version but didn't want to play it on my year one ps4 it was really struggling in the last year of its life, it actually packed up about 20 days before Christmas) and what I will say is that even with out the upgrade its definitely worth playing if you mange to get a ps5 first.

I am also someone who doesn't replay games much seen as time is a big factor and I don't have too much of it to spare but if they do upgrade it which I believe they will then I will definitely give it another go.

MaulTsir

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Hopefully Sony have learnt a lesson from Spider-man will offer it as a free upgrade. But you never know, they could repackage it with the mulitplayer whenever that comes out.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Apologies, my question was rather dense in hindsight, given that my shelf is home to a PS5 copy of Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Ultimate Edition purely because it was the only way to guarantee securing the full next-generation upgrade of the original game. A lot of the recent "user outrage" backtracking stories haven't really concerned Sony and, as market leaders, they seem content to charge a little extra. It'll be interesting to see what happens, particularly in the wake of an award season landslide (as I seem to recall the cover for the PS4 version of The Last of Us being emblazoned with an awards boast). I'm just sorry news likely won't arrive in time to save your free five bucks!

It's incredible to live in an age where publishers have the unmitigated gall to consider steady framerates and an absence of glitches as "bonus content" (a very good point, well made). Timing would appear to be everything, as you say, which is perhaps why I assumed The Last of Us, Part II would have a free upgrade. Spidey was a certain age when the PS5 came out; by no means ancient, but old enough.

@JohnnyShoulder Was there a lot of outrage over the Spidey Ultimate Edition decision? I don't seem to recall any large-scale movement; more like individual grumbles.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No, but I never said there was. It was a bit of a kick in the teeth for people that already purchased the first game on PS4 though. See also Control, which has been heavily criticised for something very similar.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder That's true, my apologies. I just assumed your "learnt a lesson" comment was because Sony faced some sort of widespread backlash, and I'd missed it. And you're right, each subsequent instance of charging for a cross-generational upgrade has received increasing criticism (sometimes fairly, sometimes unfairly) so it might well be Sony's turn next.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger They did recieve a fair share of criticism over it, just as they did with the price increase to 70 quid for next gen games. Or if there was much more widespread outrage, I missed as I tend to zone out after a couple of days. Whether it was enough for Sony to listen, I don't know.

Not that I have a massive issue with it, but it has made be less enthusiastic about getting even the base PS5 version of Miles Morales.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Elodin

I'm recommending ea play. Only a 99 cents to sign up on a deal right now. I'm giving it a shot. Think I'll play Dragon age inq. I will also dip into fifa. I haven't played that since ps3. And then cancel my auto renew.

Elodin

Th3solution

@RogerRoger No apologies necessary, it’s a fair question and point. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for how each publisher is handling how games jump to the new generation.
Out of curiosity, how do you plan to handle your purchase of a PS5? I haven’t bought any PS5 games myself, but I have considered it in my mind. It would seem that you’re not alone in starting your PS5 collection before the actual console is available, as I’ve seen several people here also getting a head start. (Kind of a “forelog” rather than a “backlog”, as it were) Do you have a strategy for obtaining your white tower of SSD goodness or plan to just let it come as it may? Honestly, I thought by end of January that I’d be able to find a PS5 with minimal effort, not this whole ‘stalking the internet with stock monitoring technology’ business that is involved now.

As for my $5, well... it’s going to be left unused I think. Despite my looking over all the lesser known titles in the store, I just can’t get excited enough about any right now. Which is really odd for me — I’ve never been shy to add to my backlog. 😄

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, like you I tend to avoid controversial topics, so if there was anything beyond a headline and the first few comments, I would've missed it, too. Such things don't impact me greatly (since I buy so few games at launch, I don't mind them carrying a premium price tag) but it's a shame when it starts having a prohibitive impact on people. With any luck, Sony will be keeping an eye on broader trends anyway, and will ensure that they backpedal any mistakes pretty quickly.

@Th3solution Well, it's my birthday in June, and by then I'll have collected three PS5 games. I'll also be getting the Mass Effect trilogy, but will likely hold off playing it until I've got the better console (same for Ghost of Tsushima, which I could be playing now). I figure that's a reasonable target window in which to treat myself, giving enough time for the desperate to secure their consoles, for the scalpers to be shut down, and for Sony to work out any early manufacturing issues. It's not like I don't have anything to be playing in the meantime (don't say "forelog" to me, it's bad enough that I've got such a sizeable backlog!) and let's be honest, new games aren't exactly finished at release nowadays, so I'm also sidestepping any early fumbles by being patient. Takes some of the anxiety out of what should be an enjoyable hobby.

Let's have a moment for the free fiver. [bows head] It's right that you shouldn't feel forced into making a purchase, just because of an offer. Get the things you need and want. The amount of shopping trips my Dad would go on, intending to buy bread and milk, only to come back with half a fish and some lightbulbs instead "because they were reduced"... it's not the smart way to shop!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger June sounds like a good plan. I’m hoping for sooner for myself. Mid March would be nice for me because I have a scheduled vacation then and the way the pandemic is raging, I don’t think I’ll have much by way of travel options.

And yes, RIP Mr. Fiver. I never really got to know you very well, but I enjoyed your company all the same. May your mug be ever filled with eternal mead in the hallowed halls of Valhalla. Say hello to my deceased goldfish, Lightning, and the expired milk that I poured down the drain yesterday.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Are you actively monitoring sites at the moment? And would you be ready to pull the trigger if you suddenly saw one available? If there's any notification system or mailing list I could sign up to on your behalf, double your chances or whatnot, I'd be happy to help (although that's probably an empty gesture, thinking about it, given our geographical differences).

Blimey, your version of Valhalla sounds pretty eclectic! Think they've got room for a one-armed, one-legged C-3PO figure from the late 80s? I really should chuck him out, but I don't have the heart.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic