Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 2,111

Genrou

@RR529 I think @Arugula was talking about checking your local GameStop, not GameStop Online. Just because GameStop Online doesn't have any doesn't necessary mean your local one doesn't.

Genrou

Davehunt

Hi all. So I have around an 80 Pounds budget I was wondering from your experience guys what games would u go for? I picked all the 1s I like from youtube videos etc But was wondering what u guys would go with.

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED
DARK SOULS II
DARK SOULS III
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Code Vein
Devil May Cry 5
Monster Hunter: World

Davehunt

Th3solution

@Davehunt I haven’t done the math, but you can almost get all those games, minus FFVIIR with your budget. I think most of them are on sale with the Big in Japan sale right now.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

andreoni79

@Davehunt That's enough to keep you busy for 800 hours... 😂
Code Vein is a Souls wannabe, so I'd play that only after finished the original games.
For the moment I'll go with these:

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED
Devil May Cry 5
Monster Hunter: World

Since DS and MH are demanding and rich in content, I'd wait to play FF7R so you could buy it this summer during another sale.

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@Davehunt Are you looking to get these digitally or the physical versions? I've seen DSR for under 20 quid for the disk, but it is 35 quid currently on the PS store. I'm sure it will be on sale in the not too distant future though.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Davehunt

Thanks all for replies, in the end, I went with Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Dark souls 2,3. Basically, the reason I went for the Dark soul's games is that I am playing Sekiro alot atm and Sekiro, as made me enjoy hard games and get used to dieing alot and keeping my temper and focus in check and to keep going at it no matter how annoying it can be wiping for hours and I already own Bloodborne so thought I'd add Dark souls to the list as well. Also I am only up to Genichiro, atm so probs gonna be playing Sekiro, anyway for alot longer which would give me time to add Dark Souls: Remastered.

Edited on by Davehunt

Davehunt

andreoni79

Brothers: a tale of two sons is € 3,99 now and I'd like to know if anyone here played it and if it has any ICO vibes.

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 Brilliant game, has all the feels. You control each brother with a stick, so the older brother with the left stick and the younger with the right stick. It may sound cumbersome but it works! I don't recall getting any Ico vibes from it personally, but I played on 360 so it's been a long time.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@andreoni79 Yeah, it’s been a while since I played it as well, but it’s great! As far as Ico vibes, yes there is the whole “progress through the game areas with your companion along side you” but like @JohnnyShoulder say.a, as opposed to Ico where you control and play as the boy Ico and have to constantly help Yorda and hold her hand to get her through the game, in Brothers you play as and control both brothers - neither is an NPC really. The control scheme is unique and fresh, the story is really well done, imo. And for 3.99 it’s a steal. Don’t expect it to quite be Ico, but it’s also got an artistic design and fairytale type setting almost. The story is also subdued, but definitely more overt than Ico. As I recall, it’s not too long either - seems like probably just 3-4 hours as I recall. Highly recommend at that price!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

andreoni79

@JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution Thanks for the feedback. What I liked about it in the reviews is the control scheme and the idea of the two cooperating so I'm getting this now.
I also got the Little Nightmare season pass for € 1,99.
I know quantity isn't quality, but honestly I don't think it is wise to spend € 20 or even more for 3/4 hours of gaming, especially if I'm not sure I'll like it.

Jaz007

@KratosMD Get the one with SotN. I have it as a PS1 game in PS3 and I haven’t played enough if it, but from what I’ve played it’s an excellent Metroidvania game and worthy of its praise. I think it stands up along side modern 2D games honestly.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@KratosMD How do you feel about the Switch’s controller? Personally I really don’t like the D-Pad, which I use to play retro games over a stick. SoTN is ace by the way, I played it through Dracula X Chronicles on Vita which has a great D-Pad.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BearsEatBeets

I'm tempted by Ghostbusters in the latest PSN sale, anyone played it and feels like sharing some thoughts? I watched a bit of a playthrough and love that it has the real cast but wondered if the gameplay holds up.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Black_Swordsman

I am a Dark Souls and Bloodborne fan, but I prefer Dark Souls to Bloodborne, would you say that The Old Hunter's DLC is worthwhile for a real Dark Souls fan? (I.E Is it closer to Dark Souls than Bloodborne?) I've tried it briefly, loved the rivers of blood, but haven't seen much more than that.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Ummm, no it's more like Bloodborne. It didn't feel any more like any of Dark Souls than the main game really, and I played the dlc after all the others. If you didn't enjoy Bloodborne I doubt you would enjoy the dlc, although @nessisonett would disagree with me. But he is the devil incarnate.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Speak of the devil and he doth appear.

@Draco_V_Ecliptic The reason I like TOH more than the base game isn’t so much to do with the gameplay, which I appreciate more replaying DS2 recently. TOH is just a more streamlined experience with great bosses compared to the base game imo, in the same way that most Dark Souls DLCs operate. It’s funny because some of the areas are DS1 Anor Londo levels of annoying but the bosses are just so good, I can’t stress that enough. It all depends on how much you enjoy Bloodborne’s base combat but I don’t think it’s any closer to Dark Souls in that the harder the boss, the more aggressive you need to be, especially the final boss.

andreoni79

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I loved The Old Hunters especially because of its setting, way more lovecraftian than what you can find in many other games who pretend to be lovecraftian.
Gameplay wise is obviously 100% Bloodborne, but the Fishing Hamlet is the best nightmare I've ever had.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Hey, that is cheating! I didn't say your name three times in a row!

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Just don't go down the well in the fishing hamlet, I almost had an heart attack when I went down there.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@andreoni79 I’ve spoken about it before but keep an eye out for World of Horror when it comes to PS4, it’s mostly inspired by Junji Ito but there’s a fair amount of Lovecraft in there. I’m not a huge fan of cosmic horror but I’m ok with Lovecraft-inspired things. It’s the base text that I can’t get past.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic