Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 2,111

RogerRoger

@Th3solution You laugh now but, when a reformed Telltale Games announce The Three Little Pigs: Season One, Episode One - A House Made of Straw, remember where you heard it first!

Best of luck if you do return to Arkham Knight. Perhaps it's best to tackle it by jumping off a shorter bat-experience, to ensure a willingness to see the story and characters through any sections you struggled with before. Open world sandboxes can sometimes feel a bit Metroidvania / linear-plus if they centre around the same key locations over and over, but Arkham Knight keeps things varied enough and has some cracking point-to-point interior levels, with only some very minor backtracking in one.

You can make Hitman as linear as you want, if you activate each level's multiple Mission Stories (although following their objective markers can sometimes put Call of Duty's handholding to shame) but yeah, perhaps best to find something a teensy bit more focused before giving it a go!

And thanks, by the way! Although, now that you've mentioned the wall-crawler, when the first cutscene opened on a close-up of a realistic spider flailing around in the breeze of an open window, I might've shuddered and thought to myself "...but Sol promised me it was spider-free!" It was a laughing shudder, though, and totally worth it. What a game. What a freakin' game!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I’m thrilled that you’ve had such a good time with Spidey.
As an aside, it’ll feel in many ways like a step backwards, but you’re likely to enjoy the rest of your run through Infamous, should you decide to go back. Especially Second Son has some of the exploratory features in a true to life rendition of an American city (Seattle in that case) akin to what Spider-Man has with Manhattan. The traversal is not as fun, but it’s pretty good for early generation. The combat doesn’t really come close to as varied, but it has its own charm. Anyways, cheers for the recs and I’ll see what my mood does. For all I know I might get a hankering for some FIFA when I’m done with The Enemy Within.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Well done for going out of your comfort zone sir, it is something i try to do a few times a year with varying degrees of success.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I do too. Trying different things does help to get out of a gaming funk like I’ve been in lately.

Usually one of my yearly gaming resolutions revolves around trying to play some games outside my comfort zone. This year I still have a sports game, an FPS, and a racing game to try.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution ...after you’ve played God of War anyway

And if it’s only one FPS you play, then it has to be DOOM2016 which is also an absolute bargain.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Haha, maybe it’ll be God of War. We’ll see.
And for the FPS, Doom was the one I was gravitating to. But I’m not a fan of the whole Hell and Demon / Horror angle. Is it dark and disturbing? I mean, I can tolerate some of the macabre but it’s not my favorite.

andreoni79

@Th3solution A cheap alternative to Doom 2016 could be the first Wolfenstein.
And if with FPS you mean also First Person Adventure then you should try Dishonored, Prey and Alien Isolation.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think the Wolenstein games would be more your bag as they have a really good story and set of characters. Just avoid Youngblood like the plague.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@andreoni79 Thanks. I tried Dishonored and couldn’t quite get into it but I might need to give it another chance. I’ll keep the others in mind too.

Thrillho

@Th3solution I wouldn't have thought DOOM would be too bad but it does embrace the goriness.

The Wolfenstein games are also good fun (I seem to be in a minority in enjoying the second one), also pretty cheap, and also feel a little similar to DOOM but aren't quite as gung-ho.

Thrillho

andreoni79

Hi guys, I have done some research but I haven't found here a "Guide to best PS4 walking sim".
I'd like to create a wishlist to buy some of them as soon as they go on sale.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Thrillho

@andreoni79 Off the top of my head, What Remains of Edith Finch would be the top choice and if you do play it, I’d recommend playing it in as few sittings as possible.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture is also a really neat experience and stylistically captures an absolutely stereotypical English village but has a really interesting main story.

Firewatch is also really beautiful and has a clever story but one that I didn’t enjoy the payoff for (but I seem to be in a minority there).

And a quick google reveals this very website has done such a list for you;

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/03/guide_the_best_ps4_wa...

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I'll add to the recommendations for Wolfenstein: The New Order. If you're unsure, there's always its spin-off game, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood which was one of those DLCs that got so big, they released it standalone (like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy). It's a shorter, sharper blast that encapsulates a lot of the series' trademark dark humour and, despite featuring zombies, can be an enjoyable little distraction that doesn't outstay its welcome. You also don't really need to know anything about the wider storyline for it all to make sense, which helps.

But all new Wolfenstein games are very bleak and gory in places, so most certainly harden your stomach if you do decide to give one a try.

Oh, and...

Th3solution wrote:

As an aside, it’ll feel in many ways like a step backwards, but you’re likely to enjoy the rest of your run through Infamous, should you decide to go back.

...thanks, I was having the same thought the other day (when I got sad about Spidey coming to an end, and was looking through my backlog for ways to continue excavating whatever mood vein it's managed to tap). I've still got inFAMOUS 2 before I get to Second Son, but I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Davehunt

Good afternoon guys, I was wondering is there some really good games like Command & Conquer & Age of Empires on the PS4? Because I've been wanting Games like these for a while because I grew up with Command & Conquer Games + Age of Empire Games mainly on the PC. When I was googling this only 1s I found was.
XCom 2
Supreme Commander 2
Tooth and Tail

Davehunt

JohnnyShoulder

@Davehunt Not played the last two but Xcom 2 is one of my favourite games this gen. For some reason I always forget about it when thinking of my top 5 games or something this gen. 🤔

X com 2 is turn-based tactics game where you directly control your team of soldiers fighting against aliens. The more missions each soldier stays alive for the stronger they will get, you level up certain stats in between missions. If one dies in a mission they are gone forever but a new recruit will take there place in the next mission, but they will be weaker than your more experienced troops. You will also be upgrading your base in between missions by going round the globe collecting resources, dealing on the black market and doing special missions. There is loads more to it as I've not played it for a few years. It is not strictly like the C&C games but does share some similarities. Hope that helps!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Davehunt While I love XCOM, they're not really "real time strategy" games like the old C&C ones.

It seems to be a genre that hasn't really made much of an appearance on PS4. There are games like Civ 6, Tropico etc but they're still not quite the same thing.

A google search didn't bring up any games I'd heard of but did give this reddit thread;

Thrillho

redd214

What are people's thoughts on Days Gone? Its one of the few PS4 exclusives I have yet to play. I know it reviewed a little underwhelming but want to hear from people that have played it especially recently.

Thanks in advance!

redd214

Th3solution

Has anyone played Dirt Rally 2.0?

One of my goals this year is to play a racing game, which is a genre I’ve not played much lately. I was in the mood for one now, as a good drop in/drop out type of mindless fun to clear my head, so I looked through my huge backlog of PS Plus games and, of course, timely enough the game is one of this months Plus games.

The review on PushSquare was an amazing 9/10 which caught my interest, but Stephen in his review says that it’s pretty intense and a steep learning curve and very much a simulation racer. I don’t mind it being a sim racer, but he really suggests that the game seems more geared (ba-dum-tshh) to those who played the first Dirt Rally, which I didn’t.

Anyways, just wondering. I think I’m going to skip it but could be convinced otherwise

nessisonett

@Th3solution I’ve got really into racing games this year but haven’t played Dirt Rally 2.0 yet. F1 2019 has the best difficulty curve I’ve seen since there’s so many sliders to change the amount of help you get driving. GT Sport is decent but not as good as the older games such as 3 and 4 on PS2. For a Horizon 4 is brilliant but obviously not on PS4. I reckon you should give Dirt a go since the PS4 is a wee bit lacking on good racing games and if it’s any good you can tell me to get on that!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic