Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 2,111

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I appreciate the warning, but I'm good with playing older games and fitting them in the context of their release window. I play a lot of samey games anyway (mostly third-person action adventure, which have all gone open-world or "linear plus" of late) because I like them and I like familiarity, so I shouldn't get bored unless the story / characters / setting / music drops the ball... and since it's a Sony first-party exclusive with a strong legacy, I'm guessing it'll be solid enough.

You'll know if I don't care for those elements if I end up doing an evil playthrough. I can be pretty ruthless to characters I dislike, as you know (cough cough North cough).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Lol, that’s true about North. Well, I don’t think it’s a spoiler to tell you that despite my high opinion of Infamous in general, it does have one of the most annoying characters in gaming — Thankfully a minor side character though. Cole McGrath is great as a protagonist and Delsin is pretty decent, although a weaker character but more fun to play as, if that makes sense. Fetch is both a really interesting character and fun to play as. I was actually reading a few reviews again to remind myself about the games and I came across several that (contrary to my earlier recommendation) actually say it would be better to play First Light before Second Son. That’s obviously not the order they were released, but I can see where they are coming from. First Light is a mini version of Second Son with a lot of the fat trimmed, so to speak. A much more focused experience and might be better to whet the palate for the longer, deeper commitment of Second Son. You’ve got plenty of time to worry about that though, since you’re doing the PS3 games first anyway. This talk is making me want to revisit these games!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins right now and am absolutely loving it. In the PS Store I see the DLC is up for only half of the price. Has anyone here played it and would they recommend it to me?

I'm only halfway through Origins, so it's hard to imagine whether I will want more once I'm done with the main game.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Personally I would to wait to buy any dlc until I'm nearer finishing the game. I've mentioned before that I've got a poor record of buying dlc, with buying it and by the time I've finished the main game I've had enough of it. I usually have good intentions of going back to but most of the time never do. Think is especially true for longer games. For example, I was playing the dlc for Borderlands 2 yesterday and I wasn't really enjoying it as I've just recently beat the Pre sequel. It felt like a bit of a slog.
The dlc for Orgins is frequently popping up the sales I've noticed, so you could always wait to see how you feel when you are closer to finishing the game?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Solid advice from @JohnnyShoulder there. All I can add is that my best friend really enjoyed the DLC from Origins, but she played it as it was released, meaning she'd taken breaks and done other things between beating the core game and playing each new part.

Not sure if she'd have felt the same if she played everything in one giant run.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@Kidfried Loved Origins and played the DLC back-to-back around nine months after I completed the base game.

The second piece is definitely the more interesting of the two packs as it incorporates many mythological elements. It's also much more substantial to boot, with a great new location to explore in Thebes and the Valley of the Kings. The first pack feels more like an extra slice of vanilla Origins, which isn't a bad thing, though as a result carries fewer surprises. As with a lot of DLC neither pack felt entirely "necessary" given how nicely the end of Origins wrapped things up, but at the same time it was nice to be back in Egypt and Bayek's shoes.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger Solid advice, I'll take that to heart.

@mookysam You make the DLC sound something I really wanna give a try. So thanks for the summary. I will definitely be getting it, but like you... in 9 months from now probably!

Thanks.

Kidfried

Ralizah

Thinking about getting Spider-Man in the sale. Is the DLC worth paying the extra $10 for the Deluxe Edition?

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

@Ralizah I enjoyed the DLC for Spiderman as much as the main game. It pretty much gave me more of the game I enjoyed. For $10 it's definitely worth it.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Thrillho

@Ralizah I thought the DLC fine at best. It was pretty much just more of the same with a few new enemies. A bit like the discussion elsewhere on the forum over Assassin's Creed DLC, I went straight into it after the main game and felt it dragged but if you were coming back to it after a bit of time away from the game then I imagine it would be more fun.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

I've only played the base game @Ralizah and I kinda held off the DLC as it didn't seem to vital to play, plus I heard it was just more of the same from various reviews across the net

Really enjoyed the game mind you... I assume the season pass/DLC is like 15 dollars if not on sale (And I think that's been on sale a few times) so you could just get the base game now and the pass later if Spidey takes your fancy

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ZeroOverOne

Guys and gils I really need your help. Does all my progression deletes if I delete the game from PS4 hardware?

ZeroOverOne

JohnnyShoulder

@ZeroOverOne Nope, unless you delete the save data too, if you install the game again your progress will be ok.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PSVR_lover

I do that all the time. When I reinstall the game all the save games are there.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

ZeroOverOne

Please stop derailing the thread. If you have a general question about the PS4 please use the following thread.

https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps4/general_playstation_4_thread?start=820

Thanks. -Tasuki-

Edited on by Tasuki

ZeroOverOne

RogerRoger

EDIT: Whoops, good point... moving my answer elsewhere!

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Davehunt Replying to you in our dedicated recommendation topic...

It depends how you get along with the games you've already got. If you enjoy the more linear, story-driven experiences like The Last of Us and Resident Evil 2 then you can't go wrong with the likes of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (although only play that if you've played the previous three games on PS3, or Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection on PS4).

Stuff like The Witcher III, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Spider-Man are large, open-world sandbox games which take quite a while to completely complete (particularly the first two) so they're more akin to Red Dead 2 (and GTAV has both that kinda experience and its vast online modes, if you like playing with others). Even if you were to play a couple hours every day, they'd still take you weeks or months to get through, so depends on what your schedule is like, I guess!

Bloodborne is a skill-based game, so expect a challenge and, er... yeah, that's kinda all I can think to say about your list of potential purchases. Hope some of it helps!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Davehunt Although I’m really bad at math, if my estimation of your available funds is correct (accounting for conversion to known currency values), then you probably can buy almost all the games in your list. I guess the real question is should you. I agree with @RogerRoger ‘s recommendations above, so I won’t reiterate, but depending on your available time, you could probably keep yourself really busy for months with a cocktail of AC Odyssey, GTAV, and Witcher 3. In fact, it would probably be good to just do one of those plus Bloodborne for the variety. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games this generation, hands down, but it really takes a high level of commitment to work through the early hours of frustration. I hear that Sekiro is similar in it’s steep learning curve, so I would recommend BB to try instead because it’s 1/3 the price right now. If you liked the prior Uncharteds, then pick up UC4 and UC Lost Legacy for sure. Both are fantastic imo.
I’d say that either Days Gone or Spider-Man would be safe, as those are of a similar ilk as well, although thematically different the basic game set up is common with the open world third person narrative adventure.
Given the games you have interest in, might I also suggest looking at: Tomb Raider, Rise of the TR, Shadow of the TR, and Horizon Zero Dawn. All wonderful 3rd Person action adventure exploration games.
So in summary, if I had to say just 5 games to try based on what you have and are interested in — then I would say Bloodborne, The Uncharted 1-4 (to include Lost Legacy), Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Witcher 3, and maybe GTAV since everyone apparently owns that and if you don’t have GTAV in your library then you’re an outcast like me 😉

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic