Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 2,111

HallowMoonshadow

I'd say REmake is nowhere near as bad as you're making it seem to be @KratosMD having played it recently for the first time ever and knowing nothing about it

Your first item box is a bit further in then I'd like but it's not too bad

Only one doorknob breaks and it's pretty easy to get around Plus it gets fixed permanently later on

I'll give you the picking items up one though it is a "Survival Horror"

0 is VERY bad though due to the switching mechanics mainly that make it very tiring and tedious

Also another one for Until Dawn... Pretty good game overall

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Granted, I've not played RE7 or Zero yet, but REmake beats the pants off of every other game in the series I've played. REmake 2 included. It's meant to be intimidating and forces you to adapt to changing circumstances as you go on. It's one of the few games in this "survival horror" series to actually feel like "survival horror" and not "action with a dash of horror and item management." And, good god, it's the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Only entry in the series I've come across that can compete with the original Silent Hill trilogy.

Until Dawn didn't really work for me. The characters often hang out in the same uncanny valley as some of the people in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Being modeled on B-grade cinema, it's... not particularly good script or story-wise. And I really didn't like how the scope of the game changed as it went on. It turned into something much more generic, IMO. The interactivity and gameplay are pretty limiting as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

Yeah Resi 1 remake is absolutely fine, it takes a certain way of playing to make progress but it isn’t so hard. Personally I really struggled with Resi 4 back in the day because I was trying to play it like 1-3, to the extent I didn’t play it for a while and a friend literally had to show me how to do it properly (who knew the knife was useful in a Resi game?!).

I don’t like the character swapping in 0, for some reason this mechanic flat out makes me lose interest in it.

As for Evil Within, I’m a big fan of number 2. Number 1 is okay, pretty confusing and also really quite hard in some areas. I found it harder than any of the resident evil games, anyway. Honestly I’d say skip it, play EW2, and go back to experience EW1 if you like what you played.

And since we’re talking about it I am pretty excited for that Ghostwire Tokyo game, even though we don’t know a whole lot about it.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RR529

Thinking about what I'm going to get during the summer sale. I have two paydays during it's run, and if I budget roughly $20 per paycheck for the sale, I'll be able to get 4 games out of it (if I pick choices at or around the $10 mark)

The Last Guardian is a sure pick, but for the other three I'm going to have to pick between one of the LEGO games (I'm thinking Jurassic World or Batman 3), Star Wars Battlefront II (no interest in the multiplayer, but the single player could be worth it at this price, plus it'd give me access to the VR bonus mission which looks cool), Unravel 2 (really enjoyed the first one, but not sure how well this one plays as a single player experience), and the Witcher 3 (I think I'm caught up in all the hype surrounding the series thanks to the upcoming Switch port & Netflix series, but I'm not sure if I'm really interested or if it's just FOMO. Still, the big western AAA titles I've played thus far have really suprised me with how much I've liked them, as someone who traditionally prefers Japanese games, so maybe I should give it a chance).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Thrillho

Has anyone played the Banner Saga games before? The trilogy is only £16 in the summer sale and it’s a game I’m aware of with good impressions but don’t know much about it.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@RR529 If you go LEGO, my advice would be to avoid LEGO Jurassic World. It's one of the cheaper, more rushed summer releases from Traveller's Tales, so a lot of the audio is ripped directly from the films and it lacks polish. Whilst older, LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham is a more complete experience, with a beautifully-voiced original (albeit throwaway) storyline and some genuine, heartfelt fan service. It's not perfect, but bats beat dinosaurs in this showdown.

Also, if you're thinking of the Rogue One X-Wing VR Mission, then that was included in the first EA PS4 Star Wars: Battlefront. As far as I'm aware, Star Wars: Battlefront II doesn't have any VR missions (yet). Campaign is still okay, though, and worth a tenner.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

andreoni79

@Thrillho I played 1 and 2 and it's a solid turn based RPG. For that price I surely reccomend it since it's really well crafted.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Kidfried

@RR529 "Unravel 2 (really enjoyed the first one, but not sure how well this one plays as a single player experience)"

Me too! Still longing to find out about that too. The first one was magnificent, but I just haven't heard enough people singing praise of the sequel yet, for me to go out and buy it.

Kidfried

andreoni79

The recent talk about horror games convinced me to try Until Dawn, especially because an italian retailer is selling now most of the Playstation Hits titles for € 9,00!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

HallowMoonshadow

So I've been watching A LOT of Critical Role rather then gaming cus of the heat here in the UK (and I'm free from work now, on my summer holidays!).

Aside from grabbing the D&D books & pen and paper or that MMORPG Neverwinter (That I'm not really interested in because of it's MMO nature) are there any other D&D or D&D inspired games I could try?

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy A package containing remastered versions of Planescape: Torment & Icewind Dale will be releasing in the next few months for home consoles, I believe. I've always heard people talk about the quality of the writing in those games (especially Planescape).

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

I'm panning on picking up the Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, NWN, Planescape games as they release. I doubt I'll clear any of them to be honest (it depends how well they've done porting to a controller) but I've dipped my toe some of them in the past and I do enjoy them.

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I’ve been playing Borderlands 2 DLC Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon’s Keep and it’s D&D inspired... in a complete parody sort of way. 😜

I’m kidding of course. I know that’s not what you’re looking for.

I think I heard Divinity Original Sin is a D&D inspired RPG. Actually DOS2 is even more so, apparently. Here’s an article:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/348615-dungeons-drago...

I’ve been curious to play the DOS games and they are very highly rated, especially this second one. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare 200 hours at this point in my life. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

My LVL 44 Gaige has already beat the keep @Th3solution 😜

Thanks for the info on Divinity Original Sin and the link... I'll take a good look at it later!

Thanks to you too @Ralizah & @kyleforrester87 for the Planescape: Torment & Icewind Dale info!

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to chime in!

kyleforrester87

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Th3solution I loved OS1, OS2 is no where near as good in my opinion, I can only get through the first act before I lose interest. I did try twice!

The only thing you might not like is the frequent comical tone it employs, if you prefer your RPGS to be all dark and miserable.

kyleforrester87

HallowMoonshadow

A humerous note is perfectly fine by me! @kyleforrester87 I'll keep that in mind about OS2 as well!

Also not gonna chime in the madness of the nintylife Mini Consoles Thread again?

Tasuki

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy There is Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity II the second one even has a Critical Role DLC where you can play as the characters from Criticla Role season 1 (Percy, Grog, the twins etc.).

It's also nice to meet another Critter

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

kyleforrester87

@Tasuki @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy POE is pretty good but DOS1 is much better. I do like the high-res pre-rendered backgrounds in POE, and the darker tone will probably make it a better game than DOS for some.

A big but though is the awful loading times. After 20 hours or so the loading screens can take 1-2 minutes, and consider you might be in a city going into a shop (1 loading screen), going up the stair case (another loading screen), back into the shop (another loading screen) back to the city (another loading screen). Yup, 5 or more minutes of loading screens versus 15 seconds of game play. I was having fun but I had to throw in the towel. It's awful!

As for POE2, it's not out until the end of the year or beyond, I will get it only if the loading issues are resolved. I believe it was down to the original being made on Unity. I'm not sure about this one.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic