Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 2,111

andreoni79

Actually I see on the store that Life is strange episode 1 is free and the season pass (episode 2-5) is € 3,49. Getting this I'll have the whole first game, right? I'm a bit confused...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 Yes, that sounds like the whole first season. Life is Strange: Before the Storm is a separate game, and then there's season two but what you've described right there is the entirety of the original.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@andreoni79 it's worth it by the way. It took me half of the first season to really be immersed by this game, but after that it got pretty good.

Kidfried

andreoni79

Thanks guys, I'll surely give it a try at this price even if I don't know what to expect.
EDIT: not localized at all, even subtitles are only in english. Meh.

Edited on by andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 That's a shame, they were a small studio then and they probs didn't have much of a budget for that kinda stuff. Brilliant game, not something I thought I would have liked but I hella connected with it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 Wow, that is surprising. It was published by Squeenix and so I would've automatically assumed that such a large, international company would have minimum standards, one of which would be half-decent localisation. That sucks.

Although your English is excellent, so is it a barrier to you playing? Or just a preference?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

andreoni79

I work for a tour operator and my English is quite good (no problem playing Yakuza 6, for example) but surely I miss something written between the lines...
I started playing video games in the late 80s and for many years it was normal for me to play in a foreign language, while in the early 90s we started to have texts in Italian. When the first games with localized dub arrived, that was a revelation, since games finally were totally immersive. Now any game without localization looks like a step back for me.

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 I understand completely. No translation is ever perfect but even so, nowadays it does seem really bizarre and regressive to lack that option. I hope you can still get some enjoyment from the game; you can always ask us if there's a specific turn of phrase that you can't quite decode.

Making It So Since 1987

ZeroOverOne

Guys just came here on emotions. Bought Shadow Of War 2 weeks ago. Started playing it today and oh god its amazing <3
For the LoTR and Hobbit fan this game felt so familiar. Played 9 hpurs without noticing its 2 am at night and my eyes are probably dead now)) and oh god... many people were complaining about orc army recruitment but I think this is such a cool mechanic!! Combat is Batman Arkham style but you dont even see that because of how good the finishing moves are made. The Story is OK but for LoTR fan ut would be heaven, its practically a prequel to all Hobbit, LoTR movies. Highly reccomend this game! Also if you arent sure about my siggestion then go check it out yourself! Demo version gives you a whole island to kill and recruit orcs )

ZeroOverOne

ZeroOverOne

Guys, I know this is offtopic but can you tell me why there were no weekend sales this week on PS Store?

ZeroOverOne

Kidfried

@ZeroOverOne Did you play the original Shadow of Mordor game too? If so, how does it compare?

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

I actually did a post about Shadow Of War in the games you're playing thread last week and am about to do another one @Kidfried as I've played it some more ... I'd respectfully disagree with a lot of what @ZeroOverOne has said, of course that's his opinion and he's more then entilted to it

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ZeroOverOne

@Kidfried I did play it and honestly its the same game with same graphics, same mechanics but Shadow Of War has its own and unique atmosphere when you explore the world and it has some kind of charm killing packs of orks with amazing moves. Btw story ending is prettt epic. Dont know why monolith didnt make the WHOLE story that epic like in last 45 minutes in story

ZeroOverOne

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Alien Isolation is brilliant but a lot has to do with I think on how much you like the first two films. Still a good game if you don't but you will get more out of it if you do. Until Dawn surprised me as I didn't think would like it as much. And it plays like a cinematic version of the walking dead games but set in a slasher film. There is more to it than that but to say much more I might spoilt it.
Alien Isolation is the more scarier and tense game overall, I found Until Dawn only that in places. The facial animation can look a bit weird at times, especially when compared to more recent games.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Not too many no. The ones I can think of are Resident Evil 7 and Outlast. I thought RE7 was brilliant but couldn't get into Outlast as I found the whole camera thing a bit gimmicky. I've got Soma and The Amnesia Trilogy but not yet started them. Those last two were done by the same developers who are from Sweden, not sure if that will influence your decision.

I do enjoy playing them but I will only play them in the dark evenings to fully get into the atmosphere, so don't get round to playing them too often.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

andreoni79

@KratosMD If you liked Soma, you could like both Alien Isolation and the Outlast series, but for different reasons.
Outlast (especially Outlast 2) is scary as hell, gory, disgusting and totally focused on hide&seek.
Alien Isolation is a masterpiece: it mixes hide&seek (when facing the alien brilliant AI), shooting (against humans and androids) and survival (managing resources for crafting), all in the best Alien setting I've ever seen: the original music, sound effects and artworks of the 1979 movie have been used wisely. You can play it on many different difficult levels, so you'll surely enjoy it.
If you check my games collection you'll find many other horror games rated!

EDIT: I found this video about the incredible AI of the alien and it surely explain it better then I could...

Edited on by andreoni79

Th3solution

@KratosMD I can also vouch for Until Dawn. Like you, I don’t actually care for horror games usually. I’m not sure why I even tried Until Dawn, other than it was frequently recommended and it was free to play on PS Plus so I took a chance. I enjoyed it a lot. As @JohnnyShoulder says- it’s a more cinematic game, in the vein of a Telltale game, but more diverse gameplay, mild exploration, and much more complex in its “choice and consequence” narrative. In other words, your choices really do affect the outcome and the conclusion. Also the game adjusts in small ways depending on how you play. The story is pretty interesting also and not too scary either (probably not any scarier than the average RE game) It has its scare moments, some of the “jump scares” and gore that you’d expect, but relies on the “psychological thriller” type of narrative more. I appreciated its length too, as I didn’t feel it outstays it’s welcome, taking about 8-10 hrs or so.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@KratosMD Another +1 vote for Until Dawn from me too. The Telltale style choice making is really well done and cleverly done that the "right" choice can still mess things up for you later on. The story is well done and the voice acting really good. The teen slasher tropes are out in force but also spoofed quite nicely too.

But man, those "hold the controller still" bits were so infuriating.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I haven't played Resi 5 and 6, and only part of 4(they were too action oriented for my liking). Some Easter eggs or references might have gone over my head, but I didn't feel I was missing anything from Resi 7 by not playing those games. 7 is kinda a soft reboot for the series, so don't feel you have to play the previous games!

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD Yeah, I was actually wondering if I’d like any of these Resi games. I played some of RE5 and some of RE2 (the original). Decent enough, but just not my cup o’ tea. Of any, RE4 looks the most to my liking, and I’ve thought about getting the PS4 remaster, but I fear that it won’t hold up due to antiquated gameplay mechanics. RE2 Remake is probably the best place for me get on the RE wagon; that or RE7 it sounds like is also a decent entry point. I’ll probably only take a dive if one of them ends up free on Plus.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic