Forums

Topic: God of War OT

Posts 141 to 160 of 807

Th3solution

I can’t wait to read actual player impressions and see if they line up with the journalists. I haven’t bought the game yet. Unleash your first impressions people!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

Ok, finished God of War 3, roll on Friday!!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@Th3solution No spoilers, just impressions, but I'm going to put tags around them just in case someone wants to go in completely blind:

I played it a bit yesterday, I'm a couple of hours in. I love it so far! I can see why everyone gave it a 10/10. I love the combination of linear narrative level design (like Uncharted), with the openness and ability to explore of an open world game. Metroidvania suits this game very well. Combat is great, I haven't played other GOW games, so I cannot compare it to them, but I can see why some called is accessible Dark Souls combat. The controls are very similar, but without the stamina. Took me a while to get used to, I died twice on the first boss fight lol. There's light RPG mechanics too. It's a bit of everything in a good way! The game looks amazing as well, voice acting and music are also superb!

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Having come straight from playing the ports of 1 and 2 on the Vita, I enjoyed it the most. It was lighter on puzzles and a little easier but it looked gorgeous on PS4 and the story, while not quite as strong as 2, capped off the trilogy well. Also controls on a DS4 were far easier then using the back panel on the vita so that probably played a part in how I felt about the game. Haven’t go Ascension though and don’t have time for the PSP games.

Having played three GoW games consecutively, I think that the changing of formula was a good idea as another GoW would have been stale. I now understand the character a bit but don’t feel burnt out.

My copy of GoW has been dispatched!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

JohnnyShoulder

Got mine delivered at work, can't wait to get home to play it!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Octane sounds great! The developer said that they were heavily influenced by Bloodborne. I thought they were strictly speaking to the hub level design with the shortcuts and pathways back to previous areas like Soulsborne games. I didn’t realize the combat also was so heavily inspired by Bloodborne It makes me even more curious to try it now! However since I have plenty going on gaming wise currently, I am trying to keep focused. 😋

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution Yeah, the Metroidvania level design. It's great. I wish more developers did this, especially in 3D, it's been a while since the last 3D Metroid, and apart from those games, the Souls games, and Rise of the Tomb Raider (or so I've heard), there aren't a lot of games that use the concept. It's great, because it gives you the great and detailed level design of a linear game, but the openness of an open world game.

And the scale of things in this game. It's great! Seeing the world serpent from the trailer in-game is even more impressive!

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder Ha ha, Shopto came through and it's now installed the latest patch. Cheers for the recommendation!

JohnnyShoulder

No worries! Always happy to share good deals.

Just to about to start it! Yay!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

Good so far. It looks outstanding graphically, up there with Horizon Zero Dawn.

I just done the second boss fight, which I found kinda annoying but I think that was kinda the point.

The combat is a bit faster than I thought it would be. Probably a bit faster than Bloodborne. And you will need to block and dodge.

The cinematic style is awesome and very clever that they have done it all in one shot. The only loading screens I've seen is when I've died.

Matroska

Just completed the first chapter. Wow, the reviews aren't wrong. One thing I'm wondering is how much does the game allow backtracking? I've missed one of the pieces of the toys artefact. I read a guide specifically for that one collectible so I know where it is, however right now I can't return to that area. Have I permanently missed it?

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Tasuki

I am still on the fence with this game. I never got into the GoW series tried it years ago and I didn't like it, however after giving Skyrim a second (actually a third) chance I figure I could do the same with GoW. Only thing is should I go back and start the series from the first one or can I just start with this one?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

NecuVise

@Tasuki mechanics are very different in this, style is very different and even the story is very different. This could've easily been a new IP, but it would've been riskier that way, so I say just watch a short recap of the story. You have one good recap on IGN, they did it in 7 minutes and it summarizes the story pretty well.

NecuVise

Octane

@Matroska I believe you can go back to any area, at any time. I haven't gone back to the very first area, because of a single assumption, and I was kinda right about it. But I feel that I can now safely return without wasting any time. Just play the game, and you'll know when it's the right time to go back and explore.

I believe you can even to back and explore after the credits, but don't quote me on that.

Octane

KALofKRYPTON

Watched an hour or so of game play on Eurogamer.

Looks good - beautiful and really nicely put together - but it feels largely like just another third person action game. Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing the game at all, just don't feel I'm missing out particularly.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Fight_Teza_Fight

Got about 90 mins in and so far so good (things that were shown in the trailers). I'm playing on the 'Give me a Challenge' difficulty and it's certainly proving to be a challenge.
God of War is the Dark Souls of Cinematic Third Person Action Adventure .

Also I didn't think much of the 'one shot' camera at first, but it becomes apparent very early on. It's super impressive.
I've had to stop after the first boss due to work, but from here on out it's all new territory. Today's going to feel like a looong work day.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Kidfried

@KALofKRYPTON Everyone's looking for something else I guess!

But you can use "just another genre x" to describe almost any game. Only a few titles every year defy their respective genre. And whether God of War deserves the praise it gets, I don't know.

Didn't saw your comment as bashing by the way, even though I'm very much looking forward to playing this game.

From what I've seen the direction of the game is what makes it stand out to me. Can't wait to see how that is pulled to a next level in the rest of the game.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87 wrote:

@JohnnyShoulder doubt I'll see a loading screen myself then.

Not if you've got your Hyper Light Drifter gaming hands on.

Rudy_Manchego

Just past second boss so can't comment on the rest of the game but good lord I love the no cut cinematics. Just feels different to every other game. Didn't think I would even notice it. This has me gripped for the first time since I played Bloodborne last year. I just want to go home and play.

Anyone else have a very loud fan when running the game? I have a PS4 Pro and wonder if I need to do a dusting exercise.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic