Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 721 to 740 of 1,795

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Which is one of the reasons why I never leave my ps4 in rest mode for a prolonged period. It always puzzles me the people that always leave it in rest mode. Imo, anything that is plugged into the wall should be powered off when you are not using it for ages.

You should be OK as a one off, I'd be more concerned if it kept happening.

I've had that message randomly appear when I've first turned the console on and not in rest mode however.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ellsworth004

So there was a video game tournament on espn 2 this weekend. I think it was overwatch maybe. Has anyone ever tried to watch one of these? It was horrible, the gameplay is so fast that u cant tell what is going on. At least i couldnt... Now watching a game tournament with fighting games is alot better, can actually keep upnwith whats going on.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

RogerRoger

@ellsworth004 Whenever I've (briefly) watched clips of "pro" gaming on YouTube, I've been left confused, intimidated and frightened for the future of my hobby.

Not for me, not in the slightest. Happy for those that do like it, but... no, no thanks.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@ZeroOverOne I'll respond to your question here about the weekend sale, so as not to derail the recommendation thread. The weekend sale does not happen every weekend, I don't think there is a schedule like the other sales. I note there is one this weekend in the USA, so maybe they flip flop between the two regions?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BAMozzy

A great video that discusses the PS4 Pro as the 'best' 1080p console on the market. John and Rich talk about the week in Digital Foundry, and the growing realisation that while its 4K fortunes may be mixed, PS4 Pro is rapidly evolving into the best way to play PlayStation titles on a 1080p screen.

I have said many times over the past 2 nearly 3 years that the PS4 Pro offers the best gaming for HD TV users - that it is a 'worthy' console to upgrade to (or buy if you hadn't bought a PS4) regardless of the fact you only have a 1080p TV and no interest in upgrading your TV to 4k soon.

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy Personally I don't see the point of upgrading when a new console is being released in like 16 months. Even if my PS4 breaks I have a Switch which would tide me over until then.

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder Whether or not its worth it to you specifically doesn't stop the fact that the Pro is still the 'best' 1080p console. Not everyone will run out and buy a PS5 as soon as it releases either so for those who have yet to buy or looking at getting the 'best' Playstation experience for the rest of the generation until they want to invest in a PS5, then the Pro is worth considering - even if you only have a HD TV.

I have been saying for the 2+ years the Pro has been out that it is a worthwhile investment - even if people only had a 1080p TV. However most HD TV owners have said that a Pro isn't a worthwhile upgrade because they don't own a 1080p TV. Not only would they have benefited from improved visuals in quite a number of games, the biggest improvement and most important too was the improvement to frame rates - not just the ability to play at 60fps as some games allowed but the fact that a lot of games were far more consistent and offered benefits over others in multiplayer games too.

Whether anyone is going to bother upgrading for the next year or two (maybe more if they don't want to upgrade to a PS5 on day 1), that is up to them. It doesn't change the fact though the Pro is the best HD console for the best performance and, especially as games are now falling below HD and dropping frames more often on PS4, likely to be the best place to play the majority, inc first party titles, titles releasing on Playstation

If people want to make do with what they have then that is their choice. I couldn't care less what they choose to do for the remainder of the generation. I know I will benefit from the extra grunt and all I was doing was sharing the video so those who want to know how much a Pro can be beneficial to them - even if they only have a HD TV, then this video may be of use. I like to think that I will get a PS5 at or near launch, but I won't be trading in my Pro (which may well be a better trade-in value against a PS5) regardless of backwards compatibility. It will still give me the best PS4 experience on my HD TV in the bedroom as my new PS5 will take its place in the main room.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Ryall

@BAMozzy An interesting one .
Whether or not a pro is worth it at 1080p very much depends on what games you’re playing. If you’re playing games like Dangerous Driving, Rage 2 or Bloodstained. Then the performance improvements mean that I absolutely want to play them on the PS4 pro if possible.
For the likes of Samurai Showdown, Soul Calibre and Dead or Alive. You get graphical improvements that whilst they are worth seeing they aren’t worth buying a PS4 pro to see.
For games like FIFA, mega drive classics and Uncharted. The base PS4 Is capable of delivering the developers vision and therefore there are no advantages to playing on the pro.
Whether or not a pro it’s worth it or someone is a personal decision based on what they play. For me I own games in the first category and a 4K TV so the pro was my choice.

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

BAMozzy

@Ryall Performance gains aren't just in a small handful of games and not just 3rd party titles either as Last Guardian benefited and it seems most games releasing seem to get performance gains - Just Cause 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Monster Hunter etc too - and you get advantages in Battlefields online MP as well. As more and more games are 'struggling' to hit a full 1080p and most importantly, a locked or at least a very consistent frame rate on PS4, the PS4 Pro is and the fact you can 'force' games to render at 1080p, the games utilise the extra resources to stabilise and basically lock games to their capped frame rate. This often gives the PS4 Pro the best and most stable frame-rate - better than the X which cannot force games to 1080p and always super-sample.

Games like Soul Calibre and Tekken may not get a performance boost because the PS4 runs at a locked 60 but at least you get a full 1080p and not ~900p (I believe Tekken is 862p or thereabouts) and 900p is around 75% of the size or to put it another way, you get 33% bigger image that maps pixels 1:1 with the screen and no upscaling blur - as well as some other graphical improvements, higher quality visual settings.
There are some games that perhaps don't benefit too much but Fifa can by using the supersampling a 4k image down, Uncharted can because you have super-sampling and the fact the MP runs at a full 1080p and a more consistent 60fps giving players both a visual and performance boost. Mega Drive Classics is one of those that is essentially a 'low res' game without any technical visuals that would tax a modern day smartphone let alone a PS4 (or better). It would be a major embarrassment if a PS4 couldn't run 30yr old games. I would be surprised if the Switch couldn't run them at 1080p docked and super-sample down for portable (although its better to run at 720p for better battery life).

Anyway, the point is that the PS4 Pro is providing benefits in the majority of games - either by improving the visuals, improving the performance or both. Unless you have just a very small game collection, a PS4 Pro will offer benefits to HD TV owners and forcing 1080p is often the only way to get basically a locked frame rate on a LOT of games. Virtually every DF comparison video coming out is stating that the only way to get the 'best' performance on console is with the PS4 Pro forced to 1080p as all the other consoles exhibit frame rate drops - even those games that use Dynamic Resolution scaling too.

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy You don't care? That's a shame! 😂

I'm not knocking what you posted. But I think the majority of people that wanted to upgrade would have done so by now. Most of the people you say that will wait to get a next gen console a couple of years assumingly doing so because of financial reasons. They are not gonna fork out for a PS4 pro, especially with PS5 being backwards compatible. Not everyone is fortune enough to be able to afford multiple consoles at the same time. Plus at this stage on the generation hardware sales will most likely start to decline, like we've reportedly seen with Xbox One.

Again I'm not disagreeing with or anything, just putting another point across.

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder I don't care what people decide to do - whether they choose to stick with the PS4 and see out the generation, trade in their PS4 for a Pro (new or even pick up used one) for the remainder of the generation to get the 'best' HD gaming or whatever they decide to do with the information. Maybe some may decide to get a Pro during Black Friday - especially if a Limited Edition bundle version is released. If they on;y have a HD TV, at least the information can help them understand the benefits to them, that it doesn't necessarily only benefit those of us with 4k TV's and that often the Pro running at 1080p gives the 'best' performance regardless of what console you own - better even than the X with its superior hardware because that console can't force a 1080p mode and use the superior hardware to boost the performance and run at a very smooth and locked frame rate.

Whether you or anyone else opts to stick with the PS4 or opts to upgrade, I couldn't care less. It doesn't make any difference to me or my enjoyment of playing games. I have a Pro so can use the information to my advantage - opting to sacrifice resolution for consistency if I want and if I know that the forcing it to 1080p makes for a better gaming experience rather than have a better looking game but frame rate drops.

All I was doing was trying to provide information to anyone that maybe considering a Pro or have been undecided because they only have a HD screen. If people benefit from this information, great, if others couldn't care less, well that's their choice too. None of that matters to me but can be beneficial to others who may be considering the Pro or fed up with release after release not having consistent frame rate and/or visual quality. Its not as if the Pro can't be traded in for a PS5 (and likely be worth more too) or people won't be buying games or playing through their back catalogue that cannot benefit at all from the extra power. If they don't care, so be it, that's their choice and I couldn't care less about hearing what they choose to do with the information and the only purpose was to share the Digital Foundry video to PS4 owners to give them the information to make an informed choice.

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy I get the impression you are having a non-caring day today! 🤣

JJ2

So my ps4 is randomly going into rest mode. I'm assuming that maybe because of the heat wave atm and in that case a lot of people may experience the same thing. Or it has anything to do with my swapping HDMI port recently?
Never had any problem before with my ps4 bought early 2014 and used for hours every days since.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

FullbringIchigo

so here is a question, which publisher takes up the most room on your PS4 HDD?

mine is Square Enix
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Th3solution

Sony Interactive Entertainment. I haven’t deleted UC4, UCLL, Detroit or HZD off yet and have added Spider-Man. I have a decent amount of Square Enix and Sega as well, but the biggest games they take up the most memory space are Sony’s. @FullbringIchigo

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

Hmm. Off the top of my head probably Ubisoft. Between For Honor/R6: Siege and AC:Unity/Ezio Collection it takes up a good 190GB. And then I’m sure I have a few other Ubi games that take up some space too.

Jaz007

FullbringIchigo

@Gremio108 well i have my games sorted into folders so all you do is go to the folder but DON'T open it, instead press start and then click on information in the pop up menu and it will show you how big the folder is which is the size of all the installed content in said folder

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic