Forums

Topic: Dealing with a 500 GB HD

Posts 41 to 50 of 50

Kidfried

I really don't get the storage issue when you have 1TB or more. Are you even aware you can redownload games?

I easily have more than 3TB of games too, but within one month I only play like 10 different games at most. I really don't see the problem.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JaxonH

@Gamer83:
I don't understand. Why would they not allow externals? There's USB drives on the system. And running out of space will prevent people like me from spending as much as usual. Now I'ma be extra careful with what I buy knowing I must delete a game for every one I purchase.

I'm hoping this new "Neo" or whatever, comes with stock 2TB and expandable via externals cause otherwise, I may just have to stop buying PS4 games and go X1 from here on out. No choice.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

JaxonH

@Kidfried:

That's fine as a workaround, but it shouldn't be the default method of storing purchased games. Every game nowadays comes with updates. And save data. And deleting a game deletes the updates too.

What happens in the future when certain games don't renew their lease and get yanked from the store. No game means no updates. And nowadays, many games are dang near unplayable without their updates.

It's just not how it should be. Every other system I own, I buy games, and I never, never, never have to worry about them again. One and done, forever. I don't like the insecurity of not having all my games installed, with updates. As it should be.

Obviously we're having to make due with what we have, but... as I was just saying to @Gamer83 it matters. It matters enough that I may start buying my games on Xbox where wont ever have to worry about deleting and reinstalling.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

Gamer83

@JaxonH:
Yeah, it definitely matters and the most obnoxious part is it's such an easy fix. But Sony doesn't have to care because the fanbase is willing to just take it. People never complain about stuff that makes sense, they'd rather cry that they don't get the latest multi-million $ AAA game free through PS Plus.

Gamer83

Kidfried

It doesn't mean that people don't complain about stuff that makes sense. This HDD thing matters to you, but to most of the gamers it doesn't. I have long accepted this situation.

The picture that JaxonH is painting is only relevant in the case that Sony removes their games from the PSN. So let's assume at that, even though we have no reason that will happen in the future. Well, as far as I'm concerned all PS3 are still supported and up on there, all of 'em basically. Some have been for almost 10 years. So we can safely assume that these games will remain there for the next 10 years, probably more.
Now, ask yourself the question: how many games do you still play on your PS2/PS3 that are over 10 years old. Probably none, but who knows, maybe a few.
So, worst case scenario: Sony drops all update support in 12 years from now. How many games would you actually still play on your PS4? Certainly not more than would fit on your current HDD.

It's such a minor problem.

Kidfried

BAMozzy

@Gamer83: Well the XB1 didn't have that feature from day 1 but were able to add it in one if their frequent updates. Part of the blame of why games are so 'big' is because of PC's . These games are developed to run at 4k/ultra settings and then ported across to consoles and 'optimised' in a similar way to how people optimise their PC gaming experience - selecting an output resolution (1080/900) and selecting various texture/shadow/lighting etc quality until it runs at an 'acceptable' frame rate. Its also why developers can increase the visual quality with a 'simple' patch (a new set of values for these settings) without having to patch in the 'new' 'data' for these (the extra pixels, the extra quality textures/shadows etc) - handy for when the Neo/Scorpio comes out but a pain in the proverbial for storage...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

SirVern

I also just replaced the harddrive. I put a 2tb in before ever playing a game. I got so fed up with data management on the ps3, and didn't want to repeat that. 500gb is not nearly enough.

SirVern

PSN: SirVern

johncalmc

I desperately need a bigger hard drive. 500GB is nowhere near enough. Between me and my girlfriend, we have 200 games for the PS4 and there's some that she plays that I don't and vice versa. Keeping them all on the system at once has pretty much maxed it out, and then when you have games that you might only play occasionally - FIFA, Overwatch, other multiplayer games etc - but still don't want to have to download every time it can become a pain to look after them.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Quintumply

I've managed to cope so far with the standard 500GB, but only just. A couple of times I've been unable to download games because of a lack of space, meaning I need to uninstall some of my older games. There are some I know I won't go back to, but there are others that are relatively old that I've yet to finish - it can be hard choosing what to delete and what to keep. I like to keep my couch co-op/multiplayer games installed for when friends come round, like Towerfall Ascension, Nidhogg, Stikbold etc. but they aren't games I play other than that.

I did upgrade my PS3's HDD from 60GB to 160GB, which isn't a huge leap, but it made a big difference at the time. I might need to look into upping my PS4's storage too, but nothing drastic. I think 1TB would suffice (unless a 2TB isn't much more expensive).

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

i still say the simplest and best option is for Sony to add External HDD support

not only does it mean that you don't have to change the internal HDD if you either don't want to or can't but it also means you basically have unlimited space if you keep getting new HDD's

and i don't really see any reason why they can't or wont add it, the people want it and i'm sure if MS was able to add it to the XB1 then Sony can add it to the PS4

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.