Forums

Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 OT

Posts 221 to 240 of 283

LordSteev

@Jimmer-jammer

Sound feels like the most often overlooked factor of immersion in video games. Just walking around downtown, how many layers, or individual pieces of sound, do you think must be playing at the same time? And which should be louder? Softer? And how much louder should this one be than that one?

They completely nailed it in Cyberpunk. I remember walking (probably should have been driving, it was a long walk) up north of Malestrom territory where there's some boats parked in an industrial harbor sort of area, and the transition from city to harbor was done so gracefully, I couldn't quite pinpoint where the traffic faded out and the waves lapping the side of the boats kicked in, but all the sudden, I wasn't in the city anymore.

If I could go back to school full-time and change my major, I would have loved getting into sound design. Oddly enough, it seems you can sometimes measure what a good job has been done by how unobtrusive it actually is in practice.

You're quite right, it's another example of the talented people who worked to bring Night City to life. Every play session, I find something that makes me admire the talent and thought process that went in to making it, not only on it's own merits, but in how it was incorporated into the game itself. So many small pieces fitting together harmoniously to make up bigger pieces, which in turn unite seamlessly to make up even bigger pieces. It's like watch making on a digital medium.

LordSteev

MaulTsir

@LordSteev @Jimmer-jammer yeah you guys have definitely got my interest in the game pinging away, I will definitely be giving the game ago although I will be waiting for the ps5 version so it will probably be sometime next year before I get around to it which won't be to bad because by then the game should be in the best shape it possibly could be in.

MaulTsir

Jimmer-jammer

@LordSteev I like that watch making analogy! When I was in junior high I got to travel down to Warner Brothers for what they called a vip tour. One of the most memorable parts of that was the foley room. Watching how sound effects are recorded by foley artists for a movie (I imagine it’s very similar for games) was absolutely fascinating.

The floor was broken up into sections of different tiles, grass, gravel, cement...and the edges of the room were stacked to the ceiling with all manner of junk, like something out of Harry Potter. With a huge screen hanging above them, they would literally walk in place to match footsteps in real time to video. They would use carrot sticks for breaking limbs or staplers for reloading. It looked like an absolute blast.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

LordSteev

@Jimmer-jammer

The foley room sounds incredible! I wonder if that's how they do it for games? Or if there's some standard pool they can pull from of existing sounds. (Footsteps on wet concrete. Add to cart?)
I can't get snapping carrot sticks off my mind! It just seems like the perfect noise for breaking limbs. That had to be a cool trip.

Love the sound of rain in games. Especially if they take the time to start it out slowly with a soft drizzle, a distant rumble of thunder, etc. And then, like a symphony orchestra spreading it's wings, the pace and force of raindrops increases. Cue the rattling sound of drops running down a rain gutter. Louder boom of thunder. The full on sound of running water. It's music. It's math. It's awesome.

LordSteev

carlos82

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-cyberp... interesting article from Digital Foundry who effectively recreated the current console CPU setup on PC and suggests that they may have great difficulty in fixing it on current gen as the CPU really isn't up to the task

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Jimmer-jammer

@LordSteev Sorry, man. I took a few days away from the internet. That room was super cool!

I’ve been playing Ghostrunner alongside Cyberpunk the last few days. It’s been an interesting tandem with both games being part of ‘cyberpunk’ as a genre. I have to say, 2077 really does reach brilliant levels of depth that Ghostrunner just doesn’t. Different games, for sure, but Ghostrunner feels a lot more stereotypical in its dystopian cyberpunk vision. Still, I’m engaged enough to see where it goes. Where they truly meet in the middle is in offering absolutely banging soundtracks.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@carlos82 interesting article! It’s fascinating that hard drive speed doesn’t seem to be an issue, and issues fall almost entirely on the cpu. I suspect that fixing these issues will fall more to creativity and illusion and less on pure optimization.

LordSteev

@Jimmer-jammer

Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed your time in the real world.

Like you said, no worries. The second you feel tied to this site is the time to set it aside for a while. Over the last week to ten days, it's gone from -40 up to +50 by Friday. 90 degrees in less than 10 days, and in the right direction! Lets me get out and feel the sun, and puts a good perspective on things. I've missed a few days, too, spending time out with the friends I can't shoot. Good to hear from you!

LordSteev

LordSteev

Had to dig pretty deep to bring this back up...

I just finished downloading the 44gig 1.2 patch, and I'm going in!

I'm going to restart a new game just for kicks, and I'll try to leave some impressions here about how the new patch works. If anyone else still has some interest, I'd love to read your thoughts, too.

LordSteev

LieutenantFatman

@LordSteev
Any thoughts so far on the patch, big improvement? I have the game, but it's still in the shrink wrap. I'm tempted to wait until I can find a PS5 to play it.

LieutenantFatman

LordSteev

@LieutenantFatman

Last night I played through the corpo introduction and the first mission with Jackie. What was instantly apparent was the smoothness. I didn't get any of the previous jittery framerate I'd had before. (This is on a base PS4, no modifications) I also didn't crash at all. This is absolutely good enough gameplay to be on the PS Store, unless Sony is holding a grudge. One thing that is still a problem, although a small one, is you can still sometimes detect items which you should be able to pick up, but can't. (Various food/drink and small cash bundles) The game throws so many of these at you that not being able to pick up a few really has no consequence. I just like to pick up everything. Also, still some pop-in with minor npc's, but this has never bothered me since they have no real dialogue and are about as necessary to overall gameplay as a bush or a mailbox. The graphics also show some marked improvement, such as being able to realize the corpo starting building has a zebra patterned floor, adds are easier to read from farther away, etc. Noticeable improvements all around graphically. The biggest thing, without question, is the smoothness. I'm guessing a much more consistent framerate is behind it. That, and no crashing, but to be fair, I haven't driven my own car yet. I'll get to that tonight or tomorrow.

LordSteev

LieutenantFatman

@LordSteev
Thanks, sounds like a big step in the right direction! Really positive to hear of so many improvements. Maybe Sony will reintroduce this to psn in the next few days, would be interesting to be a fly on the wall to see the decision making process regarding this.

LieutenantFatman

MatthewJP

I restarted as Street kid last night (playing on ps5). No crashes so far. Noticed some welcome icons in the inventory to quickly show whether a weapon or armour is 'better' than what you have currently equipped.
I'm still having an issue (as mentioned above) with some items being impossible to pick up.
Unless I'm imagining it, there seems a lot more going on on-screen in terms of items and enemies being tagged/highlighted. This was actually to my detriment when trying to be stealthy as too much got in my way, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The patch notes were crazy, and thankfully the majority of bugs fixed I never experienced on the first playthrough anyway.

PSN: mpquikster

Jimmer-jammer

It’s hard to talk about this game as I haven’t had any serious crashing issues or game breaking bugs, which I accept renders my words empty for many, however I’d like to add to the impressions here for anyone interested as I still think this is a great game worth experiencing.

The game is unquestionably more stable and polished after the latest patch and is a noticeably large step towards refinement (PS4 Pro). There are still bugs and performance issues, which I expect from any game of this size and scope. At the very least, CDPR is making progress and this should give hope to those optimistically holding out that a better experience is on the horizon. For those looking to be convinced, this game will probably never be what you’re expecting and I think it’s safe to say that you can move on. 👍

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

LordSteev

Well, since the patch, I'm captured all over again. Played 12 hours straight today, and quit when I got my first crash since the new patch. I kinda blame myself for the crash though, as I was doing stupid things on a metal staircase when it happened, not playing conventional at all. Finally did some driving around, both on motorcycles and in cars. Took dude with the burning junk to a ripperdoc at top speed, and noticed better handling with the p.o.s. car you start out with then the game used to have. Also cruised on a stolen bike from some Tiger Claws and hit top speed without crashing. The game has a tighter hold on me than ever thanks to the patch improvements. Unbelievable how little stutter there is now, and it doesn't seem to matter where I am. For a base ps4, it's really an accomplishment to get such a dense, packed, and detailed world running as good as it is, imo.

LordSteev

Mega-Gazz

Any word on this coming to the PS store again? And for that matter a native ps5 version?

Mega-Gazz

LordSteev

@Mega-Gazz Haven't heard anything about the store, other than someone from CDPR saying they were getting closer. Last I heard about a native ps5 version was they still expect to have one by the end of the year. If anyone else has more info, please share.

LordSteev

Th3solution

I’m about 8 hours into this game and it is pretty frustrating. There’s some great ideas here, but the gameplay is just hard to enjoy and the story bits really drag. I just made it through the sequence where they introduce the Johnny Silverhand character and my goodness… I think it was like an hour long cut scene sequence that just went on and on and on…. It was enough to make Hideo Kojima’s cut scenes seem like brief snippets by comparison. And Keanu Reeves, oh my lands… his voice acting work is awful. He sounds like he’s reading the lines for the first time and doesn’t really care. Ugh.

The game is better now that I’ve gotten into some open world exploration and just running around Night City. But still, the game is just so needlessly complex, with a boring drawn out narrative, forgettable characters, baffling menus, and janky combat. They put in so many gameplay mechanics that it cheapens the effect of using any of them because there’s just too many and the systems feel bloated. At least the vehicles are fun to drive.

I’m going to stick with it for now. I’ll try to give it at least 10-15 hours to win me over.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LieutenantFatman

Still got mine in the shrink wrap from launch day. I will get to it eventually. It is a shame they dropped the ball so hard with this.

LieutenantFatman

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic