Forums

Topic: What PS3 game(s) are you currently playing?

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 1,688

The_Moose

@LN78 Yeah I remember as part of the marketing campaign they hired "Christian protestors" to protest its release lol. It did make the news so maybe money well spent until it was revealed they'd been hired.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

The_Moose

@LN78 EA got the inspiration from somewhere I suppose haha

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

KilloWertz

Final Fantasy XIII

Now that I have my nearly 13 year old game save back that was on Chapter 11 of 13, I'm going to make a real attempt to finally finish this game before I start Forspoken. I really hope I don't end up underleveled by the time I reach the end. It will be a true accomplishment for me to finally finish this game after nearly 13 years.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

colonelkilgore

@KilloWertz that’s mad, I’m actually (& very randomly) considering playing through the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy this year, never having had any interest in it before. What’s your thoughts on the game, both then and now?

**** DLC!

LN78

@KilloWertz Can you remember why you quit so close to the end 13 years ago?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore Yeah, I remember reading about that in the Final Fantasy thread recently. It's a flawed game obviously, but one I've always enjoyed when I've went back to it. I don't exactly remember my thoughts on the game from 13 years ago, but to go as far as I did in it, I must have enjoyed it well enough.

I haven't played anywhere near all of the mainline Final Fantasy games, so I don't have a ton to compare it to, but I don't really understand why Square Enix treats it as the redheaded stepchild of the series. Sure, opinions soured on the game after people finished it back then, but you don't make two sequels for a game if it deserved that treatment. It's amazing how those are the only three regular Final Fantasy games to not be playable on a PS4 or a PS5. I still would have played it on my PS3 as that's where I started the trophy list, but it's still baffling all the same.

On the surface, the gameplay can feel pretty simplistic to the point where you can literally just hit X and let the game auto attack, but that can't last forever as you will easily die in tougher battles. Sure, some of the story can be either a bit confusing or just plain weird, but I think it's serviceable. I haven't finished it yet of course to judge it completely though. I'm not a huge fan of every character, but only one never truly redeems himself for me (Hope). I can understand Vanille not being liked either, but the character has a lot more depth to her as the game goes along. Questionable choice for the voice actress, but it is what it is.

@LN78 If I had to guess, I was probably stuck in a particular spot or couldn't beat something, so I gave up. I was a different gamer back then where I would give up on a game if I got stuck. There was no help on YouTube 13 years ago. Nor was I aware that you could simply run away from a lot of the fights in Chapter 11 if you chose to do so, but obviously I know that now and it makes things a lot less frustrating.

For many years, it has been a game I regretted not finishing. Now that I am able to pick up where I left off, I hope to finally accomplish that. I know it's been one of the wackiest gaming experiences or whatever a person could have with a game.

LN78

@KilloWertz Going back to games after such a long time is often a strange experience (I recently popped a trophy on "Arkham Origins" 8 years after the previous one) but going back to a specific game save after more than a decade is incredible!

LN78

KilloWertz

@LN78 I did play about 10-12 hours of it on another PS3 last year, so I am familiar enough with the game again. This is indeed still strange though. I also had forgotten how "archaic" the trophy notification was on the PS3 after I popped a trophy tonight in Final Fantasy XIII. I get that it was added mid-gen, so I'm not really criticizing, but it's just a little thing that pops up in the corner real quick.

Yeah, I can safely say I've never touched a 13 year old save before. It probably would have been at least a couple of years ago if I didn't keep assuming I sold my PS3, but I guess in a slightly cheesy way it kind of worked out that I will hopefully finally finish Final Fantasy XIII 13 years after I started it.

XandertheWise

Not playing any at the moment but was thinkin about getting back into playing these games this year anyway

Dead Space 1. I kind of remember where I am in the beginning of the game but might have to restart to refresh my memory

Metal Gear Solid 4. Still never played it yet

then original playstation games i bought off of the PSN Store a few years ago that i really need to get back into
-Dino Crisis
-Mega Man Legends 1
-Xenogears
-Tomba
-Grandia
-Medievil

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@XandertheWise Good luck with MGS4 if you do give it a shot. Would be interested to know what you make of it, as and when. Have you played the previous Metal Gear games?

Also, I hope you enjoy Dino Crisis. I've always wanted to play that for myself, too!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

XandertheWise

@RogerRoger Ive played Dino Crisis bunch of times before for my original Playstation. I know how to go through the game.

and yes I have played NES Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, a little bit of Metal Gear Solid 2 16 years ago, and the Metal Gear Solid Acid games for the PSP and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops for PSP

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@XandertheWise That'll help, I'd imagine. I see a lot of folks wanting it to get ported to PS4/5 as part of the new wave of PS Plus classics, but going back that far can be more than a little jarring when you don't have any muscle memory to rely on. I certainly felt that way when playing the older Resi games recently.

Ah, cool. That should be enough to "get" MGS4, at least. Hope you have fun with it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

XandertheWise

hooking up my Playstation 3 later tonight or tomorrow this weekend to replay Injustice Gods Among Us to refresh my memory for the game's story and gameplay before i get into Injustice 2

Been a couple of years especially back in December 2021 that i last played Injustice

XandertheWise

Primo_Void

I’m so happy the ps3 community is still active. I just got the platinum for the Dead Space remake, so now I’m going through the OG one to grab that one.

Primo_Void

NoCode23

Currently doing a replay of Rage on my old slim PS3 because streaming it to my PS4 from Plus is broken. It played ok but I am not able to make a save file.

Rage is a first person small open world game with fun combat, but simple and story drive. No hundred side missions, crafting is not a chore, and no skill trees to manage. Graphics are ok. What shines is the smooth frame rates that are listed to be 60fps on PS3 and the 360.

NoCode23

RogerRoger

@Primo_Void Sometimes it's fun to go back to an original release straight after playing a remake, to directly compare differences and whatnot. Can be quite interesting! Best of luck with that platinum!

Making It So Since 1987

oliverp

@Primo_Void Yeah its neat that some people still plays and care about the PS3 console. I could recommend that you check out the PS3 hidden gems thread [0] for some advice about which PS3 games to play.

0.https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/hidden_gems_fpr_the_ps3

oliverp

colonelkilgore

Finally got around to starting Dante’s Inferno today and must be pretty close to the end of my first playthrough. As many people both on here and elsewhere have said previously… it’s good. Probably not ‘quite’ as good as the old school God of War games but still a quality title.

Big props to the art design… extremely dark and very creative - the highlight for me.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@CaptD I think I did that section on Dante’s Inferno that we were chatting about earlier too… molten stalagtites falling from the sky and taking out the floor etc. I think you’d be okay if you fancied giving it another shot, it’s just the final jump that’s a bit dodgy really and might take a few goes… but it’s doable.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic