Forums

Topic: Should I get a PS3 in 2020?

Posts 1 to 20 of 37

HotGoomba

I literally just want a PS3 for playing Ratchet and Clank Games (Because there is no sign of Backwards Compatibility or Collection) so I can prepare for next year's entry. Should I get a PS3 and if yes, what model should I get or what are some additional suggestions?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

TheFrenchiestFry

Man threads like these are why Sony should take backwards compatibility as seriously as Microsoft does and at least extend to digital PS3 games and a wider array of PS2 titles

Most of my friends literally only have their PS3s around now for Metal Gear Solid 4

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I ended up playing MGS4 on PS Now with the slight input lag... despite my PS3 sitting upstairs. Honestly, there aren’t any games on PS3 I feel like playing that aren’t on PS Now or Vita!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles They’re on PS Now so that might be a cheaper way to play them?

HotGoomba

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Man threads like these are why Sony should take backwards compatibility as seriously as Microsoft does and at least extend to digital PS3 games and a wider array of PS2 titles

Most of my friends literally only have their PS3s around now for Metal Gear Solid 4

This.

Shigurui

If you have decent internet and only want to play the old R&C games then maybe get a month of PSNow. If you buy a PS3 the 160 gig slims can be found for pennies. Super slims are even cheaper but the build quality of those things is horrible.

Honkai Star Rail UID: 714980866 (EU Server)

HotGoomba

@Shigurui I definitely would have used PS Plus if all of the PS3 R&C Games were on there. But because alot of them aren't, I'm a physical sucker, and I want to try the Sam & Max Games, I'm going to have to get a PS3 to do most of this.

Edited on by HotGoomba

nessisonett

@HotGoomba Ooh, I love the Sam and Max games. I have all the series on Steam and an old copy of the original 2D games on a CD-ROM kicking about somewhere. Worth noting that PS Now does have the Telltale Sam & Max Seasons 2 and 3, while the first season is only available on Windows, Wii and Xbox 360!

HotGoomba

@nessisonett Oh, that's good to know. I thought that it was just the first and second episode on Xbox, then I'd either have to make a Steam account OR buy a PS3 for Season 3. Now knowing that, I may wait a little longer for a Ps3. Thanks for the heads up!

NoCode23

My choice would also be the slim model. That is the model before the superslim and has a slot for loading discs. The slims are less noisy and more durable than the original "fat" model. I have an 120GB slim i purchased in 2009 and it still works well. I used it daily from 2009-2015.

DS4 controllers are compatible with a PS3 as are most PS One game discs. Also music cd's can be played and recorded.

NoCode23

nessisonett

@SuperSaeko Plus some games don’t work with a DS4. I know from experience that Tiger Woods 14 and Gran Turismo 5 don’t. Probably to do with them needing analogue triggers.

Octane

To be fair. I've also been looking for a launch model PS3, because it also plays PS1 and 2 games. Those with BC are a lot more expensive than regular PS3s though (€150 vs 50), so I've been holding off for now.

Octane

HotGoomba

@Vacuumator I've heard, and I'm very excited. I already bought it on Xbox One, but I might get the remaster next year, and there is evidence that the other two Sam & Max games are coming to Switch and PC.

Vacuumator

It's a tough question on the eve of another generation. If you really want to play those games then it's worth it. I have a Super Slim that I've owned from new (I replaced a noisy second-hand one and Sony replaced a new one that died) and having just PS One compatibiity is a bonus. I recently put a cheap SSD in it in the hope of prolonging its life a little. I've amassed a horde of physical games over the past few years - there a lot of classics on the PS3 that aren't available elsewhere and it's still the only way to play some of my favourite games.

It may well be a good idea to find a decent controller that you like and pair it with the PS3 instead of using the DualShock 3. With the DualSense about to improve upon the already excellent DS4, it makes the prospect of prolonged play with the DS3 even less appealing. It really does not feel at all good to use anymore, with its spongey convex sticks and creaky build. It seems to makes games harder to play when you go back to it after using the DS4 for so long - it feels like the games are dated by using the DS3 because it makes play feel so clunky.

On a side note, I picked up Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One for a couple of pounds in a charity shop recently. I've never played any games in this series, which, if any, are recommended to play through before playing a Rift Apart?

Vacuumator

nessisonett

Just gonna say that Rebug is really quite easy to install and full PS1 and PS2 support is really quite useful if you rip your discs like I do.

Vacuumator

@nessisonett

I think I have an adversity to tinkering with things like this. I know that I’m probably missing out on a lot of benefits, but the fear of getting something wrong or something breaking overrides that. I prefer the purity of the original systems as they are, however sad that may be.

Although having said that, I have “fiddled” with the PS Classic, because that’s a bit different and also quite great once done.

Edited on by Vacuumator

Vacuumator

Anti-Matter

@HotGoomba___Rebrand
Yes, why not ?
I have collected ALL Ratchet & Clank PS3 games during year 2020 and have finished the storyline a lot of them (Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus, R&C 2 Trilogy, R&C 3 Trilogy).
Go for PS3 Slim or Super Slim and get Ratchet & Clank PS3 games.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Vacuumator
"Are recommended to play through before playing a Rift Apart?

My recommendation from my gameplay experience :
1. A Crack in Time
2. Tools of Destruction
3. Trilogy
4. Into the Nexus
5. Quest for Booty

A Crack in Time was the best from all.
Running on 60fps, you can travel into the space and landing on certain planets to get the Zonies, you played as both Clank and Ratchet. The storyline was great, it was about ambition to take control the time to change the history. There were 3 difficulty game levels you can choose before playing and you can change the difficulty level anytime you want during playing.

Tools of Destruction has the most weapons to use but Mr Zurkon will not immediately get summoned before you press the button. There was no difficulty level to choose.

Trilogy was Classic, same as PS2 version but running in HD 720p, 16:9 screen and smooth 60 fps.

Into the Nexus was okay but it has lesser weapons to use and there were some places looked scary somehow.
It has only 5 planets to visit unlike older Ratchet & Clank games. The game was running on 30 fps unfortunately.

Quest for Booty i put on the 5th as the storyline was very short and very linear. You cannot go back on certain places so if you want to explore the previous area, make sure you create multiple of Save data.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.