Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site.

Posts 1,101 to 1,116 of 1,116

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore @oliverp As said, it’s a timed thing. If you tag our esteemed leader Ant Dickens into a post then he can unlock it easily enough (he kindly did so for the Disco Elysium thread recently).

Thrillho

Kidfried

@antdickens So uh, isn't it time for a more succesful way of handling trolls?

Mad001, is able to have 12 comments of them deleted in one day. Most active users don't even post 12 comments a day. As a result, threads like these become downright unreadable with so many comments deleted:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2024/01/gta-5s-michael-voice-...

Not to mention that they get increasingly derailed too. And that's just a normal day for them. Look in their comment history, every fifth post is deleted for trolling, every second post is still offensive or at least a dog whistle.

Maybe, you might say, they did nothing to warrant a permanent ban (they did), but then at least you should be able to find something in between. Maybe a temporary ban or something? Or maybe a warning system, where you get permabanned after x incidents in x time?

Kidfried

oliverp

@antdickens Ah thanks for the update guys I understand now why some threads get locked after some time. Its good to know even if I can find it a bit unfounate in some cases (that said I also understand that you guys can unlock some threads if asked about it).

oliverp

Grumblevolcano

It would be interesting to see a Push Square poll about when's the ideal time to announce a game before launch. The context being that Sony's announcement strategy changed in the PS5 era, opting to announce games generally closer to launch.

Grumblevolcano

jgrangervikings1

This post may sound like sour grapes, but that’s not my intent. Ok, here goes!

Every week there are lots of releases for PS4, PS5, and VR2, yet we don’t hear about many of them as they’re not mentioned on this site. I’ll give one example: Smallland: Survive the Wilds released on 2/15/24. It looks pretty cool and the PSN store shows 445 people have rated it a 4.60 out of 5 stars—that’s really high—yet it’s not been mentioned on PushSquare. Why not?

Long story short: I’d like to learn more about each week’s game releases on this site. I want the content more engaging and interactive.

Years ago, PushSquare used to post an article detailing all the new releases…but it went away. I’m guessing not enough clicks…or not enough reader comments? Either way, it’s not a 100% indicator that the article isn’t wanted or needed; if anything, it’s a red flag to the writers that they needed to make the articles more interesting and interactive.
—>Why not encourage readers to weigh in on their thoughts (i.e. imbed the game trailer into the article and then have a “hype meter” that readers can use to rate their interest/excitement in the game)?
—>Why not have the ability for the reader to indicate they’ve purchased the game…and then give those readers the ability to rate those new games right there within that page?
—>Perhaps include a list of 30 adjectives and let the user pick five that best describe their feelings about the game?

There are lots of ways to get the community involved in all of the indie/lesser-known/budget games being released each week. I hope the writers take a stab at better informing the readers and encouraging community engagement. I’d love to see what PushSquare writers can do!

jgrangervikings1

Twitter:

jgrangervikings1

There’s no need to review every game fully; the manpower required to do so would be insane. While I like the “first impressions” and mini-reviews, I suggest streamlining things with a new review category called “the first five hours,” whereby the writers review and score a game after five hours of play time. Why?
—>After five hours, reviewers should be able to advise a readers as to whether the game captures his attention, holds his attention, and is worth continuing on immediately…or if it’s worth shelving for a gamer’s backlog, or delete, delete, delete.
—>By only requiring 5 hours of gameplay, it’d free up the writers’ time to add more articles and content to the site.

Edited on by jgrangervikings1

jgrangervikings1

Twitter:

antdickens

@jgrangervikings1 thanks for sharing your ideas — this is something we want to tackle across all three of our main websites. Ultimately you are right; there are simply too many games to write news stories about and too many games to review; so, our staff are using their judgement to make articles about the games that people should be informed on. That doesn't mean we cover everything though, and I certainly want a community-lead approach to the rest of those games we didn't cover ourselves. We're exploring ideas around user-reviews for this very reason, as ultimately, we'd want to have some useful information about every possible game in our system.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic