Forums

Topic: Youtube vr180 vr360 videos stopped working

Posts 1 to 2 of 2

todally_lit

A couple months ago, youtube VR version stopped working correctly. I used to be able to watch VR180 or VR360 youtube videos but this no longer works. This is the new behavior I see:

• youtube starts fine and displays videos, menu works fine, searches work fine and 2D videos play correctly
    vr180 or vr360 vids:
  • ads play correctly and you can skip them - granted ads tend to be in 2D
  • the vr180 video will start playing and you can look around, it is a correct 3D video image
  • within ~5 seconds, the video freezes, but the sound track keeps playing
  • if you try to fast forward or rewind using the video progress bar after the video stops and while the sound track is playing, the menu becomes unresponsive and eventually the screen goes blank
  • if you just let the sound track play without pressing any buttons, within ~20-30 seconds the sound track stops and the screen goes dark, all buttons are unresponsive.
  • at that point, the only way to regain control of the PS4 is to press the PS button and kill the youtube app.

There are reddit threads on this - thought I'd start one on PS forums as well.

I tried reinstalling the youtube app - no joy
I tried, removing the youtube app, rebuilding the PS4 (option on safe mode), and reinstalling the youtube app - no joy

Has anyone found a way to fix this?
Does anyone know whether it is a PSVR problem or a youtube problem?

It just feels like either youtube does not want to support PSVR or Playstation does not care about youtube functionality.

Edited on by LiamCroft

Live and Love

todally_lit

update: as of yesterday, I noted the same behavior as in the original thread the second time I tried a vr180 video. However, the first time I tried playing the same vr180 video, there was a somewhat different behavior:

• ads played correctly
  • the vr180 video started playing and went for 10-15seconds before freezing while music kept playing
  • to my surprise, the video fast forwarded itself to catch up with the music
  • about 10 seconds later, the video froze again for just a second or two
  • the display switched from vr180 to a 2D screen with the right and left videos side by side, music was synched up
  • the video played all the way through to the end.
  • at this point the screen went black and controls proved to be unresponsive

Please fix this Playstation / youtube

Live and Love

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic