Forums

Topic: PS5 on 1080p

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

guardianoftime

hello! I currently have a Nintendo Switch (which I love) but also considering to get the PS5 as well; thing is, I only have a 1080p Sony TV (although high refresh rate); is it worth getting it and will I notice a difference between it and a PS4 let's say?
cheers

Edited on by antdickens

All fear the man who has nothing to loose

PSN: Haig-009

RogerRoger

@GuardianOfTime A friend of mine recently got a PS5 and, whilst waiting on delivery of a new 4K television, has hooked it up to her current 1080p set. Coming from a base PS4, she said that she could see a slight difference, but she obviously wasn't blown away by the picture quality, to the point where she was then shocked when she transferred a screencap to her PC and took a closer look at its detail.

Do you own a PlayStation from any generation? What games are you looking to play?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

guardianoftime

@RogerRoger i did own PS2, PS3 and PS4 in the past (as well as the Wii). Currently I have a Switch as I mentioned. I like FPS, beat ‘em ups and racing games.

Edited on by guardianoftime

JohnnyShoulder

@lolwhatno LOL. What? Noooooo.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ryall

@GuardianOfTime I played the PS5 on a 32 inch 1080p screen between the PS5 release and black Friday that year. And while when my brother was watching me he couldn’t see the difference. I could certainly feel this in the high frame rate, lack of loading times and haptics.

Whilst it might not look better it certainly plays better. To me what matters is my experience playing not what someone watching me might think of the image.

I would consider it certainly worth getting even with a 1080p screen. I wouldn’t upgrade your screen whilst you’re playing a lot of switch. As a 4K screen with a switch does look worth if it’s a big screen at a short viewing distance

Ryall

BAMozzy

@GuardianOfTime The higher resolution of the PS5 is somewhat reduced in its impact at 1080p compared to the 4k resolution, but resolution is a relatively small part of what the impact of gaming on PS5 vs PS4. Nowadays, there is also a LOT of PS4 games that run at sub-1080p and often with numerous visual downgrades, reduced LoD's etc.

The 'density' and quality of the overall image can be much higher. Things like having high quality shadows, more foliage density, better draw distance/LoD's etc so you don't get pop-in etc. Looking at Digital Foundry video's will help highlight more than just the 'resolution' differences.

That's without considering the numerous other 'benefits' to PS5 gaming over PS4 -things like Higher (and often a LOT more consistent) Frame Rates (60+ fps), much faster loading times etc. Another thing to consider is that a PS4 only plays PS4 games, the PS5 plays PS4 & PS5 games. Yes you may well be able to play the few games like Spider-Man, Horizon, God of War etc on 'Both', but the PS5 version will have significant upgrades over the PS4 version. Take Spider-Man which wasn't built for PS5, but still offers 60fps, Ray Tracing, very Fast loading etc to significantly improve the overall experience - even if Visually on a 1080p TV, the difference looks minimal. Elden Ring for example looks a lot more 'barren', far less foliage on screen and the LoD's are lower too.

For 'playability' alone, the PS5 is better - much quicker to get into the game, to fast travel etc, much better frame rates and consistency - let alone better Audio, better Visual Quality, more 'games' (as it can play ALL the PS4 games too), Haptic feedback etc

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Mega-Gazz

Put simply, resolution was a good indication of picture quality back in the 80s and 90s. But here in the ‘20s it is not nearly the same. As BAMozzy said, having better effects like lighting and shadows, fogs, etc has a much larger impact - just they’re harder to quantify so they get less press. Frame rate is now a bigger impact than resolution too.

Honestly people laughed at Cerny when he talked about IO and how big a game changer it was, but its true. Playing through games with no load time is really crazy and changes the experience.

Mega-Gazz

Kidfried

@GuardianOfTime More importantly: are you considering upgrading your tv in the near future?

If you're a 4K tv in two years, then I'd say it's easily worth it upgrading now. If you won't be doing so for another five years, then it'd be another story.

Kidfried

guardianoftime

@Kidfried well it's hard to tell considering our country's financial crisis

RogerRoger

@GuardianOfTime Honestly, if money and stock issues are secondary concerns, then you're probably best trying to get yourself a PS5. It plays everything a PS4 can play, with a few very minor exceptions, and new games going forward are more likely to be exclusive to it than not. That, and you'd be futureproofed against any possible upgrade to your current TV, as well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@GuardianOfTime Load times and framerate should all be massively different on PS5. Also, you have visual effects like raytracing in many PS5 versions of games.

Frankly, a lot of games on PS5 seem to be targeting sub-4K resolutions to push higher framerate and raytracing in performance mode presets anyway, which arguably makes it a very worthwhile purchase for someone looking to get more out of their AAA games.

Of course, it sounds like you got rid of your PS4, so I guess I'd wonder why you wanted a PS5 at this point in time, since, aside from a couple of smaller exclusives, it's playing all of the same games as the PS4.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

guardianoftime

@Ralizah I got rid of my PS4 since it gathered dust back in the day; now, IF money was not a concern, I would have bought a 4K monitor with 120 Hz refresh rate. For now, I still have the same 40" 1080p Sony (family) TV which was one of my main reasons why I got the Switch in the first place I/O the PS5. The way I see it, best case scenario would be, as you guys commented, a PS5 with a 4K 120Hz monitor: the perfect marriage

nomither6

that refresh rate is everything . you should get it

nomither6

guardianoftime

I jut got the PS5 and tried it on my 1080p Sony TV; after I saw the ps5 on a larger 4K tv, it seemed to me that it will do the job just fine considering I have a high end FHD Tv (at the time). Colors are great, graphics superb, speed outstanding and a big step up from the PS4 even with the 1080p.
Thanks guys to help me make it happen. I’m so excited for future games.

• Page 1 of 1

Sorry, this topic has been locked.