Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year of 2023

Posts 81 to 100 of 112

crimsontadpoles

Here's my half-way update.

1) Reduce backlog by at least 5 games
This one's off target. As I bought a bunch of 3DS/Wii U games before Nintendo closed the Eshop, my backlog has only increased. This'll balloon even further once the Metal Gear Solid collection releases, as that'll count as an additional 6 or so games (I'm interested in playing the original Metal Gear games along with the Solid series). However, I've cleared some long games, whilst most bought games were fairly short, so absolute number of games doesn't give the full picture.

2) Clear all Wii games from by backlog
This is going a lot better. I've cleared the majority of what I had, including big names such as Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Pikmin 1/2, and Metroid Prime 2. There's only three games left, with Metroid Prime 3 being the main noteworthy one.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution I also platinumed Tacoma last weekend. Fun little game. Enjoyed it more than Gone Home for sure. I took a few screenshots of the house cats in weird places but I might just be coming off StrayšŸ˜….

Having said that you technically are still on for 100% as you get a screenshot every time you earn a trophy.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

KilloWertz

@Fight_Teza_Fight Only if you don't turn that feature off, which I did to save space. I'm not sure if @Th3solution did or not.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@KilloWertz @Fight_Teza_Fight Yeah, I disabled the trophy screenshot feature when I set up my PS5. I think you can set it to just screenshot platinums; so I should probably enable that. I only get a few of those per year so it wouldnā€™t be too cumbersome to my tiny memory. That, and I need to buy and install supplemental memory expansion

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

KilloWertz

@Th3solution Slacker about never buying another hard drive. Even the Force has it's limitations.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

Now into October, the last quarter of the year, weā€™re on the home stretch. Where has this year gone?!

Th3solution wrote:

1. Play at least 3 of the 2023 releases.

• Absolutely rockinā€™ this one so far, having played 5 ā€” Hogwartā€™s Legacy, Tchia, Jedi Survivor, Humanity, and now Final Fantasy 16 (in progress)

2. Watch at least 4 video game related cross-media TV shows or movies (either live-action or animated)

• 3 out of 4 so far. I watched HBOā€™s TLoU, the Gran Turismo movie, and currently watching The Witcher.

3. Play at least 6 indies.

• Still stuck at 3 out of 6 so far, going by the strictest definition of ā€œindie.ā€ Those being Tacoma, Tchia, and The Stanley Parable. But this year so far I also played The Pathless, Stray, and Humanity which are indie style games but technically speaking are not since they have publisher support. Iā€™m going to still see if I can get a few more true indies played on the next 3 months but Iā€™ve done well with my intent of trying out smaller experimental games, nonetheless.

4. Take at least 1 screenshot from every game I play this year

• Iā€™m at 90%, although I did go back and snap a screenshot from Tacoma which I had missed. But thereā€™s one other game I havenā€™t done a screenshot yet.

5. Play a ā€œsimulatorā€ style game.

• Nope. These simulation games are so long that Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll get to this before years end. Iā€™ve considered trying Snowrunner, Two-Point Hospital, Lawn Mowing Simulator, Jurassic World Evolution 2, Farming Simulator 22 or Planet Coaster. If someone has a recommendation of a simulation game that is short and easy for beginners, especially if itā€™s on PS+, then let me know. Iā€™m intimidated by these games.

Iā€™m doing okay with my goals, but the year is running out fast!

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Th3solution

Well, for the final check in of 2023ā€™s goals:

1. Play at least 3 of the 2023 releases.

• Done ā˜‘ļø

2. Watch at least 4 video game related cross-media TV shows or movies (either live-action or animated)

• Done ā˜‘ļø

3. Play at least 6 indies.

• Done ā˜‘ļø

4. Take at least 1 screenshot from every game I play this year

• Done ā˜‘ļø

5. Play a ā€œsimulatorā€ style game.

• Done ā˜‘ļø. On the last day of the year, I started playing Power Wash Simulator. šŸ˜„

Really pleased with my results for the year. I had to stretch a couple of these to get them completed, but I did it! Roll on 2024!

themightyant

@Th3solution Well done! The big question is.... did Power Wash Simulator hook you in like so many others? It's like the Bermuda Triangle for many, you get lost, time mysteriously disappears and you can't quite explain what you were doing for all that time that was so absorbing. lol (it's not for everyone though)

Looking at you list, my results.
1) Yes played 3 games from 2023. But only just on PlayStation
2) Cross media...errr.... Witcher, Spiderman, TLOU, Castlevania. So Yes!
3) Yes easily played 6 indies, probably nearer 15-20. Best were Chained Echoes, Tinykin, Cocoon, Turnip Boy, Gris
4) Screenshots? Yes by trophies
5) Simulator... Yes I played some more PWS.

What's your challenge for 2024?

themightyant

Th3solution

@themightyant Thanks! And to answer your question - indeed, PWS seems to have lulled me with its sirenā€™s song and I lost several hours to its trance. I have wondered what all these ā€˜simulatorā€™ games were all about and why people would ever want to spend their leisure time simulating work, but I can see some of the appeal.

During the first two jobs I thought it was silly, tedious, and a little boring, but after getting into a groove, it became more of a relaxing low stress outlet between other games. It scratches a part of the brain that desires order and accomplishment and specifically breaking down large tasks into smaller bite-sized checklists, and gives you the small dopamine hit with each lesser completion toward the whole. Not unlike a ā€˜collectithonā€™ type of mechanic seen in other games where you are working through long checklists of things, a la checking off all the backpacks in Spider-Man, getting all the artifacts In Uncharted, or all the gold bolts in Ratchet & Clank. The game would have grown indeed boring if it was just giving you a dirty thing and telling you to wash it, but instead by breaking it down into its constituent parts with a nice ā€œding!ā€ patting you on the back every time you complete a section it makes for a low-key strategy game. The inclusion of a list with completion percentage of each small part is genius to keep you on task and decrease the frustration of whatā€™s missing for 100% job completion.

The other analogous pastime that came to mind as I was sweeping pressured water streams over dirt and grease covered objects was that this was akin to people doing those adult coloring books as a means for stress relief. Itā€™s not something I do, but I know people who do those as a diversion to shunt their minds anxious energy.

I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll invest the time to complete the whole game and all its DLC but I plan to have it available on my console for a diversion if/when I want a simple distraction. I did find that I lost a few hours to it and looked back wondering where time went!

Good job, by the way with also hitting my goals. šŸ˜„ I find setting these goals helps me stay diversified and somewhat up to date on my gaming. As for 2024, I donā€™t know yet. Iā€™ll formulate an official resolution list in coming days. Iā€™ll probably have something in there about trying a new genre (similar to the ā€œsimā€ goal I had last year). Maybe RTS, a fighting game, or a live service gameā€¦ or another genre which is a blind spot in my gaming. I might build a goal for trophies too, since I have dropped off on trophy achievements lately. Weā€™ll see. Do you have any ideas for what you would like to accomplish this year?

Fight_Teza_Fight

Final Update

1) ā€™Get goodā€™ at Fighting Games.
NopešŸ˜….
Iā€™m still as bad/good at them as I was last year. Maybe this yearā€¦

2) Beat more games than I buy.
Done.
Beat 33 games. Bought 6.

3) Finally beat Kingdom Hearts 3.
Nope.
I have accepted Iā€™m just going to have to replay the collection again. Itā€™s been too long.

4) Get 5 Platinum trophies for the year.
Done.
Got 8 for the year & Dragon Quest XI: S just has one trophy left (admittedly one I might never get).

5) Give an online game a chance
Done.
efootball is my most played game of the year & also messed around with Yu-Gi-Oh! Master duel.
Both are Konami games. Maybe they ainā€™t that badšŸ˜‚.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

themightyant

@Th3solution You very eloquently nailed exactly what it is about PWS that pulls people in. I didn't think it was for me either, but after hearing so many rave about it decided to give it a go and sunk in. Don't underestimate the satisfaction of that DING! when you complete a task. We just need AR goggles to include this for IRL tasks like washing up! lol. I did fall off after 15 or so hours as the things to clean got larger I found it more of a chore and dropped it, but went back for the FF7 DLC, just a small bike not an entire skatepark!

You are 100% right about the adult colouring books and side of the brain this appeals to. It's both relaxing, satisfying and steals your concentration from other things. Just what some need to unwind. Like train sets or Lego... or video games. I'll mostly stick with the later.

That said my goals for this year are also about diversifying... but not in games, i'm quite good at that naturally. In fact I need to prioritise other hobbies and stop playing, discussing and thinking about games as much. (To the gaming forums I go. lol) Ultimately just need a better balance of hobbies. Within games, same as 2023 to attack my backlog. I did pretty well this year!

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Th3solution

@themightyant Unironically, the drive to break large accomplishments into smaller task is what setting goals is all about! šŸ˜… Iā€™ve developed a natural inclination to almost subconsciously break things down into smaller pieces that are more tangible, measurable, and able to be checked off. PWS is an archetype of New Years goal setting in itself! šŸ˜†

And thereā€™s a life lesson there which I have been prone to employ ā€” when Iā€™m up against a large real world job that Iā€™m dreading or dragging my feet on, it helps to cut it into small parts and sometimes even make a game of it to turn it into something fun. Some of my busier days at work, I make lists of steps I need to go through to finish my work, and it keeps me from completely losing my motivation when looking at the heap of work as a whole. ā€œEating the elephant one bite at a timeā€, etc, etc.

Man, I love it when gaming mirrors legitimate life lessons. Gives me the warm fuzzies. šŸ˜Š

Well, a 2024 thread for resolutions should pop up soon, so mull things over of what you might like to commit to. I think diversification of non-gaming hobbies is a fantastic idea. Maybe hiking, or quilting, or karate, or painting, or ā€¦ whatever!

@kyleforrester87 Bruh, you had one jobā€¦

themightyant

Th3solution wrote:

PWS is an archetype of New Years goal setting in itself!... Man, I love it when gaming mirrors legitimate life lessons.

Spot on! lol. I remember climbing a mountain in Greece (not to jump off the top, and become the new God of War) and someone had spray-painted little yellow markers to highlight hand holds and routes to take so you didn't fall off the mountain and die. All felt very video gamey apart from the Vertigo and made ascending and descending the mountain feel very achievable and bite-sized.

themightyant

Lavalera

1) Buy less games/ 2) backlog has to shrink:

Failed miserably on both. It such an amazing game year that I bought a lot of games that came out this year.
I also bought a Lenovo Legion GO, so the last 2 weeks i bought a lot of sale games on steam and epic which were way cheaper than on console.
Good thing is that my wishlist of games I want is almost empty and my PS plus is about to lapse , so hopefully this will help for attempt nr 2 in 2024

3) Care less about trophies, more about game completion.

Succesful! I didn't get a single platinum in the second half of the year. Not even on Spiderman 2 (it also helps that i didn't enjoy that game as much as others did). My will to try and platinum games is almost gone which makes me enjoy games more and make me feel like im done when i see the credits.

4) Try games in genres i normally dont play:

Succesful!
-Rhythm games. Thanks to the absolutely brilliant Hi-Fi Rush I decided to try some more Rhythm games and played: the persona dancing games, Theatrhythm & Metal Hellsinger.
-Soulslike games: I dont generally like hard games and dying over and over isn't something I enjoy. I am playing through Remnant 2 atm and still trying to get past the first miniboss in Lies of Pi. Both have such a great atmosphere and i can see why people love those games. So i hope I will get a bit further in those games

Edited on by Lavalera

PSNid: Lavalera

Ralizah

I fell off of gaming hard for more than a third of the year, so my completion goals aren't very...

1) At least a third of the games I play next year should be either visual novels or independently developed games

I did okay with this. Especially near the end of the year. Didn't quite reach 1/3rd, but got pretty close.

2) Catch up with the Fatal Frame series

Haha, no.

3) Play and finish more games than I buy

I was going pretty good until I got a Steam Deck OLED on Christmas and saw all the cheap deals for various Steam games.

...let's just say this played out well with full-priced titles, but not so much for steep holiday deals on older titles.

4) Play and finish Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Yup! The main game, at least. Haven't touched the DLC, although I'm sure I will at some point.

5) Collect at least three platinum trophies in the Playstation ecosystem

I got one for Gravity Rush: Remastered on PS4. So failure.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Kraven

I donā€™t have many gaming resolutions other than playing more games that arenā€™t necessarily in my wheelhouse.

Kraven

Ralizah

@Kraven

Valve has you covered.

Untitled

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

What a freakin' mess.

1) Play Less
Kinda...? There were still instances where I surrendered to my hobby and cleared my schedule for major releases, and a few moments where I started something in good faith, only to finish it under a cloud of "I just want this done", but they felt less frequent than previous years. The fact that I've also got a couple of still-sealed purchases on my shelf speaks volumes.

2) Don't Buy Random Games
Another kinda, I reckon, thanks to those still-sealed purchases on my shelf. They were all bargains, and are far fewer in number than ever before, but alas, they're still there, and so I can't claim total victory.

3) Complete Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft (PSone)
No, but only because of the surprise announcement regarding its forthcoming remaster. If it weren't for that, I would've made the time, but by waiting, I'll get trophies!

4) Enter the Screenshot Competition
Total fail. Sorry.

5) Write Reviews for Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
Ending with a partial win. I wrote more than two reviews in the year, though, and did say that I'd sub one of the others if Spidey got delayed, so... yeah, it's more like a three-quarter triumph.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

johncalmc wrote:

I utterly failed last year's plan to beat every Resident Evil game. I finished 3 and then could never be bothered with Code Veronica X. I downloaded it twice but never started it.
I'll probably do better this time around because I'm going to pick things that are more my jam.

Resolution the first: I'm going to platinum every mainline Yakuza game. I've already done Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 0, and Like A Dragon previously, and I'm a third of the way through 3 Remastered. That leaves 3, 4, 5, and 6. Ideally, I want these all done before Ishin lands and then I'll do that one, but I suspect I won't manage that.

Resolution the second: I'm going to play every mainline Final Fantasy in 2023. When the Pixel Remasters hit I want to play every single Final Fantasy in order.

Resolution the third: I'm finally going to platinum Persona 4 Golden. I tried three times on Vita and kept messing it up thanks mostly to the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy. But I also hate handheld gaming, so I feel like when Persona 4 comes to PS5 I'll finally get it done. Maybe.

Resolution the fourth: Make good use of the Nintendo classic online thingy. Bit more nebulous, this one, but I tend to only really play the classic games on Switch that I get from the online pass thing in the event of a) a power cut, or b) when I'm waiting for a new game to release and don't want to start anything big and don't have any other options on PlayStation. I would like to play the old Metroids again, maybe Starfox, stuff like that.

I couldn't remember what resolutions I made so I went back and had a look just so I could see how badly I did.

1. I got the platinum in Yakuza 3, 4, Ishin, Gaiden, and I'm mostly through 5. Just 6 remaining after that. So I give myself half points for this.

2. I still haven't bought Pixel Remaster. I player 1200 hours of Final Fantasy XIV and I played Final Fantasy XVI but I didn't touch a single other game. Big fail.

3. I didn't platinum Persona 4 Golden. But I did beat it, and I got the hardcore risette fan trophy finally. Then I started it again on new game plus and I'm about half way through it. Just got to finish it and then I have the platinum. So I'm going to award myself half points again for that.

4. I didn't play a single Switch Online game in 2023. Even when we had a power cut. I just read a book. Appalling.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic