What are the best weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2? Which guns should you use in RDR2? It's a good question, because the game's world is absolutely stuffed with danger, and you'll want the best guns money can buy to ensure your survival. Weapons are either acquired automatically as you progress the story, or they can be bought. Most guns can be bought at a gun store -- although some are only made available for purchase after completing certain story missions -- and weapons that aren't guns can be purchased through various black market merchants.
Best Weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2
Weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2 are broken down into several different types. For guns, you have revolvers, pistols, repeaters, rifles, sniper rifles, and shotguns. Every other kind of weapon falls into either explosives (dynamite and fire bottles), projectile weapons that aren't guns (bow, throwing knives, tomahawks), or melee weapons (knife, machete, cleaver).
For this guide, we'll be taking a look the best guns, as that's where the most variety is since each gun has its own unique characteristics. These suggestions are based on our own experience with the game.
The best guns in Red Dead Redemption 2:
Best Revolvers in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Granger's Revolver - A unique revolver with high stats, Granger's Revolver is acquired through the side mission 'The Noblest of Men, and a Woman'. It's one of the best all-round revolvers in the game.
- Flaco's Revolver - A unique revolver with the same high stats as Granger's Revolver. Flaco's Revolver is acquired through the side mission 'The Noblest of Men, and a Woman'. It's one of the best all-round revolvers in the game.
- Double-Action Revolver - A high rate of fire make the Double-Action Revolver easy to use and dangerous at close range. An especially solid choice when you're forced to shoot while moving, either on foot or on horseback. It's acquired through the main story.
- Schofield Revolver - With a slightly higher damage stat than most other revolvers, the Schofield Revolver is a reliable gun, especially since it can be bought from a gun store early on in the game. Above average accuracy means that it's better at longer ranges, too.
- Calloway's Revolver - Another unique revolver, this one is based on the Schofield. Calloway's Revolver has good damage and is accurate. It's acquired though the side mission 'The Noblest of Men, and a Woman'.
Best Pistols in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Midnight's Pistol - A unique pistol with a high rate of fire, Midnight' Pistol is acquired through the side mission 'The Noblets of Men, and a Woman'. It's a fast and deadly gun at close range.
- Volcanic Pistol - Powerful (for a pistol) and very accurate, the Volcanic Pistol is a super solid choice at medium range. It can be bought early in the game.
Best Repeaters in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Lancaster Repeater - Just about one of the best all-round guns in the game, the Lancaster Repeater is accurate, has good range, a reasonably fast rate of fire, and deals solid damage. Fantastic at medium to long range. It can be acquired through the main story.
- Litchfield Repeater - Arguably the best repeater in the game, the Litchfield Repeater has above average stats in just about every category. A good rate of fire combines with high accuracy and the highest damage of any repeater to create one of Red Dead Redemption 2's most reliable weapons. However, it can only be obtained very late in the game.
Best Rifles in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Bolt Action Rifle - If you're looking for big damage at long range, the Bolt Action Rifle is the way to go. Reliable and very accurate, it's an excellent choice if you're at a distance and don't have or want to use a dedicated sniper rifle. Its high damage also means that it's great for taking our bigger animals like bison and bears at range.
Best Sniper Rifles in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Rare Rolling Block Rifle - A unique sniper rifle that offers high damage and very long range, the Rare Rolling Block Rifle is acquired through the main story. Pick it up and you'll always have a very reliable sniper rifle.
- Carcano Rifle - A reliable sniper rifle that offers great precision, the Carcano Rifle isn't as powerful as the Rolling Block Rifle, but it boasts a much faster reload speed, making it a deadly weapon in the right hands. It's acquired late in the game's story.
Best Shotguns in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Pump-Action Shotgun - A monster at close range, the Pump-Action Shotgun deals huge damage to any target that's dumb enough to come near. A higher rate of fire means that it's not as do-or-die as most other shotguns, and it can be reloaded very quickly. It's acquired through the main story.