Can you remember Project Awakening? We've never actually seen the game in action, but it got a stunning concept trailer last year as part of Sony's PlayStation LineUp Tour. Back then, we didn't have much to go on -- just that it was apparently an action role-playing game from Japanese company Cygames.
It looks like we're not going to see anything more of Project Awakening at E3 2019, but we have just learned a little more about it. Details have been shared in an interview with FextraLife, with producer Takaki dishing out some fresh information.
We've broken down the main points below.
- Project Awakening is Cygames' "pilot project" as it attempts to move in on the Western market (remember, Cygames is the company behind the immensely popular Granblue games in Japan)
- Project Awakening is an open world game
- It has co-op multiplayer components
- It has a lot of "fighting, blood, and sweat"
- For Cygames, it's something "really new and interesting"
- Cygames is trying to find a balance between storytelling and a gameplay focus
- High fantasy is the game's inspiration -- Takaki mentions Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones
- The trailer from last year is indicative of the game -- it's going to be about brutal, raw battles with creatures
- The open world is "seamless"
- Cygames is aiming to allow for up to 12 players to play together at once
- It sounds like Cygames is still deciding on a lot of things, including whether you can use magic, or whether the game will have a character class system
- All in all, it sounds like Project Awakening is still a long way off, and it's most likely going to be next-gen release
Are you interested in Project Awakening? Take your sword and temper your expectations in the comments section below.