Alien: Isolation's Pre-Order Bonus Is Turning into a Pricey Premium

Posted by Nicola Hayden

Added extra or special edition?

You can't really turn your nose up at free stuff for bothering to pre-order a title that you know that you're going to buy anyway. As such, when Alien: Isolation dropped the bomb that you'll be able relive the events of the original 80s horror classic as the crew of the USS Nostromo yesterday in the form of pre-order content, fans were ecstatic, eagerly awaiting to splash their cash. However, it seems that the grim reality is far scarier than what lurks in the shadows.

Specialist UK retailer GAME listed the title with pre-order content today, but sadly the pricing isn't a glitch. In order to unlock this special piece of movie history, you'll need to shell out an extra £10 ($17) for the supposedly free content. While it's common to release DLC missions as part of Special Editions, this so-called pre-order bonus seems particularly shady because it's never been framed as a premium purchase.

Are you excited to finally play as Ellen Ripley, or are you disappointed that you need to cough up additional funds to do so? Express your horror in the comments section below.

Update: Seeing as this story is more confusing than standard deviation, there may actually be a little more to this than meets the eye. GAME is currently selling the 'Ripley Edition' of Alien: Isolation for a premium price point, which includes the 'Crew Expendables' and 'Last Survivor' expansions. Both allow you to play as Ellen Ripley, though it appears that only the former – as part of the 'Nostromo Edition' – is available with pre-orders at retailers other than GAME. As such, you'll need to pay a premium to nab both packs – or settle for the one elsewhere. We'll update again if we learn any more.

[via game.co.uk, blog.us.playstation.com]

Related Games

This is so shady. I thought it looked to good to be true when I read the PlayStation Blog post yesterday, but I can't believe they've been so deliberately misleading. Don't get me wrong, this content looks super cool, and sounds like it's probably worth the premium price — but 'pre-order bonus' it is not.

The thing is, I'm part of the problem, as I will probably pay for this. Still can't believe it, though...

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

that's GAME for you, a load of gready ********

why so many publishers are making things exclusive to a chain people hate and also went bust because of their bad practisis is beyond me

@FullbringIchigo Actually, in this case it doesn't seem GAME are at fault. From what I can see, there are two versions of the game: Alien: Isolation and Alien: Isolation Ripley Edition. The latter one is the only one that comes with the extra content - and costs more.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, it might be GAME, after all. Shop To is currently carrying a different version - the Nostromo Edition - which includes one of the two expansion packs announced yesterday. So it looks like you have to pay more to get them both, and presumably GAME has the exclusive on the Ripley Edition. Pretty confusing...

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

This is nothing new this has been happening for ages even sniper elite 3 had a special edition that added few extra missions that cost £10 but when the game actually releases the price is almost immediately reduced.

keep an eye on GAME as more games coming out later this year get small bonus digital content it'll be the same thing.

I've updated the article to hopefully better clarify the situation as it stands. Apologies for any confusion – though in this instance, I'm not convinced that we're entirely to blame.

Gmork___

Gmork___ said:

I'm sick of this multiple version crap. I've come to except a barebones version of a game for people who are not completely into it and then a special edition that includes everything. Sigh... I miss the old days

Holydiver85

Holydiver85 said:

This is garbage. If it is complete at the time of the release it should be released with the game. Not hiddien behind a $10 pay wall.

@get2sammyb Im with you, Im torn becuase I definitely will buy it but it makes me feel slimey.

THIS_SITE_SUCKS

THIS_SITE_SUCKS said:

Why would you pre-order anything on PSN? It's always significantly more expensive, they take your cash right away, the chances of getting a full refund if they mess up (and they often do) is practically zero.

Steel76

Steel76 said:

"you'll be able relive the events of the original 80s horror classic"???
The original movie came out in 1979, not in the 80:s. ;)

Steel76

Steel76 said:

@NicolaHayden
Just tell them you was thinking about the awesome sequel, that came out in the 80:s, and they´ll send you back up with a warning ;) :D hehe

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Huh. I'm still confused. I want it but do I need to order from game to get all the DLC etc? Oh, game are only offering all. I hate game regardless, scum. It is though awesome content which I'll have to buy.

Not-Another-Ad

Not-Another-Ad said:

I remember for Watch Dogs the normal edition at game was £50 and the special edition which includes one small mission for an extra tenner, total rip off.

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

I won't buy it and I won't support this company until something makes sense. LOL

This must be only for the UK evidently? I'm USA so I dunno what's going on.

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

@Steel76

I was actually going to bring this same thing up myself. Alien - 1979. Aliens - 1986. I love the 70's look of the original classic.

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

Since I am a flat-out Aliens whore, I will be buying this no matter what & get all the content in some form eventually. But this whole situation is a bit confusing & it doesn't have to be. I just hope the game is good. I am still trying to wash the stink of that dung pile known as Aliens: Colonial Marines off of me.

Steel76

Steel76 said:

@Godsire-
Yes, the world in the original feels real, compared with most sci-fi movies today, where everything just looks way too plastic and shiny.
Since Alien is my all time favorite of all times, I really need that Ripley Edition.