Forums

Topic: You Died. The Dark Souls Series Discussion Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 181

Ralizah

@colonelkilgore Nice.

I enjoy platinums that reward a reasonably complete playthrough of a game. It feels like a nice cap to the experience. Which is one reason I have the platinum for Persona 5 Royal, but not Persona 5: the latter requires an optimized, perfect playthrough, whereas the other rewards you for exploring what the game has to offer.

Not even gonna bother with games that require interaction with an online mode that requires a subscription to access, though. Or ones that require multiple playthroughs in general (although I liked HZD enough that I barreled through a NG+ playthrough on the hardest difficulty for that plat.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

@Ralizah that’s interesting about the difference between Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal. I’ve got a real want to connect with a turn-based jrpg… I’ve tried a few (including Persona 5 as it was so gushed over) but I just have never been able to get it. I’m hoping that when I finally manage to find a portal that I’ll be able to find whatever it is that I’m missing (as any streaming latency issues inherent with the portal would be immaterial with turn-based stuff I’d imagine).

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Mikey856

@colonelkilgore sorry for late reply. Wow that’s impressive mate I’m hoping to do something similar on my account. I absolutely loved Nioh 1 but never played 2. Bloodborne is a masterpiece mate I adore the lore lol I also platted it on an old account years ago. So much depth it’s insane

Edited on by Mikey856

Mikey856

Mikey856

@Th3solution I’m currently working through Latria at the moment and yes those enemies are the bane of my time with that game ha

Mikey856

colonelkilgore

@Mikey856 no worries… Nioh 2 is for me a step up from the original, so you’re in for a real treat mate. Tough as old boots though… I usually like to plat 2 souls-likes per year but I found Nioh 2 so intense (and huge) that I had to split it between being both my second souls-like of 2023 and my first of 2024. I just had to take a break about halfway through 😅

**** DLC!

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Elodin Already Wishlisted. Looking forward to the full release in September. Also got Black Myth Wukong on the cards before that.

Edited on by BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Mikey856

@colonelkilgore it’s certainly on my list! The one that was causing me concern was sekiro. I’ve heard that is probably the most difficult of all the games ?

Mikey856

colonelkilgore

@Mikey856 some of the Sekiro bosses are really tough tbh… particularly some of the side bosses needed for the plat. The mobs are probably the easiest of all souls-likes though as you can pretty much stealth your way through them.

It took me a while to fully click with Sekiro as it’s just so different from the other souls-likes available (if it can even be classed as a souls-like)… but when it eventually clicked it’s in my all-time top 5 games.

**** DLC!

CJD87

@Mikey856 Hey man, saw your earlier post.... and any mention of Sekiro always piques my interest!

If you enjoyed Nioh1, and also platinum'd Bloodborne, personally I think you'll be fine with Sekiro. I platinum'd Nioh1 - and would say the skill/difficulty level is probably on par with Sekiro.

IMO - Sekiro is arguably the finest offering in FromSoft's portfolio, and my personal favorite from their output. There is such a beauty to its simplicity, essentially forcing you to 'get good' and overcome the challenges by playing the game in the way it is encouraged you play it (full agression, keeping the pressure on your enemies and utilising the parry system)

Unlike Elden Ring, there are no opportunities for summons or massive over-levelling.... no cheesy builds or spirit ashes.... so when you beat a boss in Sekiro you know it was because you were skilled enough to do so. So euphoric when you nail one of the Skill-check bosses (Lady Butterfly?) and I highly recommend.

(NB No hate at all on ER, I love that game and have just finished by second NG run in prep for DLC!)

CJD87

Th3solution

After a little break from gaming in general, I was able to finally get some time with DS2 and make a little progress into Heide’s Tower. It’s been a little tougher here and I’ve been grinding a lot of levels. I think my build is all over the shop now. 😅 I may need to respec, but I’ll just roll with it for now. I’ve got mainly a Hex build and a little bit of Dex for now and have picked up the famous rapier. So far it’s not as OP as I was led to believe, but it’s early days and I’m still figuring it out. I’ve been working on ADP too @colonelkilgore

Weirdly the most challenging fight I’ve had so far has been the Armorer Dennis Red Phantom. I must have died 20 times to that guy. I finally just used a ‘seed of a tree of giants’ and let the 4 turtle warrior guys just kill him for me. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

Oh, and I have been playing around with the Covenant of Champions @BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

I actually think I like this mechanic where if you kill enemies enough times (it seems to be around 10 or so) then they stop respawning. It’s nice to have the option to clear and area out so that the march back to the boss is enemy free if you want it that way. And then having the option to just join the Champions Covenant when you want to farm is nice. It’s the best of both worlds actually. Does Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, or Elden Ring have this mechanic?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Th3solution I'm only familiar with Dark Souls 3 out of the Souls games you've mentioned - I've only beaten Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls Remake in terms of the Souls games and as I've said before - quite happy to leave it there. But anyway, back to the point, afaik the mechanic is non-existent in Dark Souls 3, sorry to say, it's a Miyazaki-helmed game, so I presume he wished to re-apply a general framework of Dark Souls mechanics to the game, despite the much faster, Bloodborne-style, frenetic combat that that game has.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution to be fair sol, I think Heidi’s Tower was a bit of a step up in difficulty from the Forest of Fallen Giants iirc.

I think I remember the Armorer Dennis RF too… nice solution 😉

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Nah, that isn't in the other games as ar as I'm aware.

There are so many decent weapons in the game I wouldn't worry too much about the rapier. I never used it much and seem to manage fine without it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore wrote:

@Th3solution to be fair sol, I think Heidi’s Tower was a bit of a step up in difficulty from the Forest of Fallen Giants iirc.
I think I remember the Armorer Dennis RF too… nice solution 😉

I can just imagine Sol's character skipping off to the mountains like in the Sound of Music! 😂 😉

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Hey, Heidi might make a showing in Lies of P: Part II. 😂

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic