Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 7,479

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah, that's true. I also miss the lack of the octagonal shape for the control stick in these games. It's weird how that's just wired in your brain, and now it doesn't feel right.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Mario 64 DS was a very different game from 64. It was more of a reimagining than a remake. You start of as Yoshi in that game, and you have to unlock other characters like Mario, Luigi, and Wario. The levels are changed to compensate for these different characters. And the controls aren't great either...

Octane

nessisonett

I’m sitting on 24 stars in SM64 so far. Done every star I can so far and just got my first game over trying to get the red coins in the first Bowser level. I miss the N64 stick!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RR529

Got the Red Coin Star in the Wing Cap secret area in 64. Took me probably around 20 tries to do it though, and was beginning to wonder if it was even humanly possible, lol (at least you don't lose a life for falling into the abyss there).

I can definitely see how the cannon challenges could get irritating as it took me quite a few tries to land in the little cage in the Whomp's Fortress level (luckily I only shot myself off the level only once, though), and I'm dreading the penguin slide race. I only fell off once during the "trial run" to get the first Star, but can see how it'll be difficult trying to keep your balance while racing.

Otherwise the game has been pretty fun though, but whether or not that outweighs the irritating missions is yet to be seen, especially as I get deeper into the game. Currently have 15 Stars (5 Bob-Omb Battlefield, 7 Whomp's Fortress, 1 Cool Cool Mountain, 1 Secret Slide, 1 Secret Wing Cap).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@RR529 I did finally get that one too, after about 20 tries!

RR529

Oh wow, I just beat the penguin race on my second try! Totally wasn't expecting that. Also completed the baby penguin & Red Coin missions in the level too.

64 is becoming one of those games where I get one or two Stars and then put the game down, and after a couple of hours of steeling my nerves I go back and do another 2 or 3, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

Very cool to see Hades get a 10 over on NLife. I told you all it was great! 😂

nessisonett

@Octane Well it’s not a first party game so it didn’t get the +2 Nintendo points 😉

HallowMoonshadow

I'm really not familar with Mario 64 or it's DS counterpart beyond them exisiting to be honest (... Well that and Mario 64's reputation as if it descended directly from the heavens and cured world hunger or something ) so cheers for the info @Ralizah & @Octane!

I completely forgot about the DS having just a D-pad... I got far too used to that circle pad on the 3/2DS it seems. Though I'm surprised mario 64 DS doesn't use touch controls in some goddawful way.

Oh and I just noticed your new signature @Ralizah... Completely the wrong topic to ask in... But how's Digital Devil Saga 2 going for you?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm writing up an impressions post on it.

@RR529 Good work! I found that penguin race to be a bit of a nightmare, personally, so doing it in two goes is definitely very impressive.

The main problem with the wing cap star is, once you're forced to land, you can't really gain enough altitude to collect the coins you need, so you kinda have to just do it in one go, which is challenging.

@nessisonett Too bad I'm not a fan of rougelike games and was burned pretty badly by Bastion, which people also gabbed on about. I've had Transistor on my PC and PS4 forever, and just never got around to playing it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Hades was my first Supergiant game and I’m loving it even after 100 hours so I probably should check out the others! It’s strange for me to say that a roguelike game has incredible character and plot but it really does. The interactions between runs are just as much fun as the game itself. I find myself playing to see some more dialogue between characters more than anything, and there’s still more new dialogue I’m seeing every day I play.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I mean, yeah, if I loved a game as much as you seem to love Hades, I'd absolutely check out the developers' other games. They frequently go on sale on Switch for absurd prices, too. On sale, Transistor and Bastion can both be had for about $3 a pop.

RR529

@Ralizah, yeah, there were a couple points where the penguin almost ran me off (the most dire at the point where you're about to enter the tunnel in the last stretch, I luckily entered the tunnel at just the moment I would have been thrown off the slide, so I bounced off the wall), so it came as a huge relief given it's reputation.

As for the Wing Cap stage, I realized that too. If I missed the first two coins I immediately plunged myself into the abyss as I knew I'd never be able to get myself up there again. Somehow I never got angry or upset though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

That’s me finished up Shifting Sand Land, the most horrific area of the whole game. I actually need to go and do the 100 coin stars for every area but still, for now it’s over. The controls get really annoying right around then but still, I think that’s the worst of it over.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Yeah, I just got my first star there when I gave up on trying to grab the large bird and wandered into the pyramid, only to fall off the higher levels about fifty times before finally grabbing the star at the top. This area is going to be the bane of my existence, I can just tell.

Octane

@nessisonett Shifting Sand Land is alright. Gave my younger self nightmares though. I don't think me or my friends ever made it to the horrors that are Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride. Endless death pits are the absolute worst.

Octane

RR529

So how hard is it just to get to Bowser and clear the game? I'm not really planning on 100% completing it, just reaching the credits.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

@RR529 I can now go for the final boss if I want. 70 stars is the minimum you need. I have 71 so far because I’ve got every single star in the first 10 courses, 1 from 100 coins in Whomp’s Fortress and 10 secret stars. I’m going for every star at this point, I’ve pushed through some truly horrific platforming sections!

@Ralizah It... gets worse in Shifting Sand Land. One tip I’d give is that Mario can inexplicably run up the pillars at a 90 degree angle. That’s better than trying to fly across to them directly which I did until I discovered Mario defies gravity. Just wait until the last star of that world though, you think you hate the pyramid until you do that one. Some of the levels are extremely obtuse as well. I dunno, I can get past that though as I’ve proven that I really do love the game as I’ve binged it massively the last two days

Rudy_Manchego

Ok so I got Mario3D Allstars and homed in on Sunshine which is why I bought it really. My thought with this collection is that this is a very basic port. I mean, the game is good, I like playing on the go and it looks good on the tv but not necessarily amazing and certainly not worth the whole limited edition hoopla. Plus controls are wonkles on Sunshine. Don’t regret it but not the Wind Walker Style do over that they so deserve.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

Today in 64 I finished off the last 2 missions in Cool, Cool Mountain (getting the snowman's body, and the wall kick tutorial challenge), went back to Bob-Omb Battlefield to do it's Wing Cap mission & get it's 100 coin Star, and then did the first two missions in Jolly Roger Bay (the treasure in the sunken ship, and getting the Star the eel has).

A bit of trial & error for some of them (such as the wall kick thing), but nothing too bad for the most part other than that darned eel (I died so much there, and there were many times I swear I touched the Star, but it registered it as an eel touch).

It's definitely aged, but there's just something about it that makes me want to come back for more though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic