Forums

Topic: Another Definitive Best Game of All Time Forum Megapoll (Round 1)

Posts 161 to 168 of 168

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution Lost Legacy was meant to be part of UC4 season pass, but it ended up getting too big.
I still got the game ‘free’ as part of the package but I imagine a lot of people just consider it to be DLC.
It’s a perfect early PS3 game. No mtx & you can beat it in 10 hours. In that sense it’s very reminiscent to UC1&2, but it’s not as good as UC4 the actual GOAT.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight 😄 I’m definitely due a replay of them, include UC4. I replayed UC1 a few months ago and plan to do the rest in order. (I just need them to stop releases new games so I can find the time!) I do wonder if my thoughts will change on how I rank them, now a few years removed from my original playthroughs.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution Go for it! I played through Persona 1-4 in anticipation of Persona 5.
That was on the vita on the commute, so it might be more difficult Uncharted.
If you have the time go for it! DrakesFortune is almost 16 years old at this point. That’s the game ND should’ve remade.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

mookysam
  • BioShock Infinite - Xbox 360
  • Chrono Trigger - SNES
  • Super Metroid - SNES
  • Super Mario Odyssey - Switch
  • Final Fantasy X - PS2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64

Almost choices:

Final Fantasy VI
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Half-Life 2
Portal 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
Super Mario Galaxy

Cheers for the tag @themcnoisy.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Kidfried

@mookysam You're the last to vote! Voting is closed.

I'll count all the nominations and will be back with you later today.

Kidfried

Kaka
  • Outcast (PC) – Has some claim to be the first open world game. Whether that’s true or not, it was still a wonderful experience with a real sense of freedom, an epic (and cheesy) story, beautiful worlds to explore, and so remains an enduring memory. Stellar orchestral soundtrack too, implemented in a way that was really new for games at the time. The more recent remaster didn’t do it many favours really, but the original experience was something special at the time.
  • Max Payne (PC) – Gritty, moody and stylish. Bullet time was so cool. A good introduction to how games can be a medium for mature and cinematic storytelling.
  • Crash Bandicoot (PS1) – An embodiment of colourful childhood memories. This did so many things right in terms of being a ‘fun’ game. Have had the pleasure of replaying the N. Sane Trilogy with my own kids recently and reliving some of the fun through their eyes.
  • The Last of Us (PS3 - actually played the Remastered version on PS4, but we can let this one pass as it’s basically the same game) – In my view, much more coherent and superior to the sequel in its storytelling and worldbuilding. A game to be ‘experienced’ and one that I’ve recommended even for non-gamers to see what gaming can do. The soundtrack remains one of the best around.
  • The Witcher 3 (PS4) – A game which kept giving the more you played. So much depth. Characters that were both fantastical and yet felt so real. Combinations of epic quests, political intrigue, and little stories of life’s everyday complexities. And teamed with a stunning soundtrack.
  • XCOM 2 (PS4) – Nothing compares the feeling of sending your beloved friends into battle with the aliens and stressing over every move you command them to make. And the losses really hit you hard. Didn’t think a game could make me care so much or be so mentally exhausting, yet exhilarating.

Honourable Mentions (Optional Reading )

• ISS Pro Evolution 2 – This was a real breakthrough in moving away from ‘scripted’ football gameplay to some notion of freedom and randomness. Revolutionary.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 – Great gameplay and production values. And Kojima messing with our minds as usual. I still remember thinking that the real game with Snake would start soon..
  • MGS V – Brilliant, satisfying gameplay loop and direction.
  • Worms 2 – Hours of stupid fun.
  • Gran Turismo 2 – Took what the first Gran Turismo had done and improved it in every way. The fact that a game featured not only supercars but also normal cars I would see on the way home from school felt special in some way.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 – Atmospheric world to get lost, giving you the feeling that there’s always stuff going in the next town or beyond the next valley, independent of your presence.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn – Wonderful and original story, with excellent gameplay. Beautiful soundtrack to match the well realized world.
  • Civilization 3 – Don’t know how good I was at this, but spent hours trying and was a lot of fun.
  • Hogs of War – Comical and well designed.
  • Control Ultimate Edition – All round excellent package, with fun gameplay and effects. Kind of game that growing up I could never have imagined existing and would have blown my mind.
  • Detroit: Become Human – A really well produced and sensitive game. When you see the decision spider diagrams after every chapter, you can see how much work went into this.
  • God of War (2018) – While I don’t think it’s one of the best games ever made, I played this game while reading a book on Norse mythology, which really elevated it into a hybrid educational/cultural/entertainment experience.
  • Rollcage – Innovative arcade racer with great sense of speed driving along the ceiling.
  • NFS 3 Hot Pursuit – Felt fresh and fun at the time.
  • Lost Words: Beyond the Pages – It’s not a great ‘game’ but is sensitively written and packs an emotional punch.. (also connected with me as I write children’s stories)
  • What Remains of Edith Finch – Another one with emotional weight, and some really memorable moments.

Kaka

Bundersvessel

I hope I’m in time, @kidfried This was really difficult, I tend to stay away from top anything haha. Here we go though in no particular order…

Metal Gear Solid - PS1
Shenmue - DC
Zelda: The Wind Waker - GC
Grim Fandango - PC
Half Life 2 - PC
Death Stranding-PS4

Kidfried

Thanks for nominations every one. That's over 100 people that voted!

I never expected that many people to respond, so that's amazing. It did mean that I had to change up my plans quite a bit for how this thing is going down; all part of the fun. I hope to see just as much excitement as for the next round.

(Mods, you can close this thread now)

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic