Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 4,472

ralphdibny

I thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else has seen it, but I recently watched an episode of X files from season 8 called Via Negativa. It really was a brilliant episode and and a stand out for Robert Patrick's acting skills. He basically carries the episode alone but it also features the always brilliant Skinner/Dogget team up and an appearance from The Lone Gunmen.

In my rewatch, Im about halfway through the TLG series now with about 6 episodes left of X files season 8.

Anyway just thought I'd see if anyone else remembers this episode and what they think of it!

See ya!

HallowMoonshadow

I'm still going through The X-Files

Whilst I was going through them and cherry picking my favourites as I got to season 5 I ended up deciding to slow down the pace and I even decided to return to the beginning to watch through them all as it has been years since I actually watched it through properly.

I've also started watching Malcolm In The Middle

I only have vague recollections of when it first aired 20 or so years ago to be honest. I bought them a while ago really cheaply from cex (I got the first 3 seasons for like £2 each or so) and I really have quite enjoyed it. Bryan Cranston is unsurprisingly amazing and an utter delight as Hal.

It's a shame to learn Frankie Muniz had a mini stroke (Or something along the lines) a couple of years ago and he completely forgot he was ever part of the show (Not to mention a bunch of films he did too) but apparently he's a fan of the series having watched it with completely fresh eyes.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@LN78 You're right, of course. I have given a couple friends my account details, since I'm paying for the 4K one with four profiles, so I'll see if they're still using it regularly. I just know that, as soon as I pull the plug, I'll go to watch something and discover it's only on Netflix! It's always the way!

@BearsEatBeets Yeah, I've given this warning many times, but the first season of The Clone Wars takes a lot of faith and determination to get through. Whether or not watching it all becomes worthwhile, once you get to the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh seasons (the genuine highlights), is a question I can't answer because it's entirely subjective, so the risk is yours to take, alas. If you continue to struggle, let me know, as I could always write up an "essential episode" list for you to skip through.

And agreed, even when it was repeating itself, 24 was a quality production. Kiefer Sutherland carried that show, although it had some incredible supporting stars (Gregory Itzin was robbed at the Emmys).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Sorry for the double-post, but I just had to note that story about Frankie Muniz. That's tragic, I had no idea that had happened to him! Poor guy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yeah that is really sad news about muniz, I had no idea. Malcolm in the middle was great.

Bryan Cranston pops up in an episode of X files actually, just thinking about it.

I did end up watching all of Millenium too, it was a great show and I loved all the characters. So sad that it only got 3 seasons. It's good youre taking your time with X files, there is so many monster of the week episodes that are just brilliant. Unfortunately there are a few stinkers too but I guess we all have to take the rough with the smooth.

TLG is a definite highlight. We watched another tangenitally linked show called Harsh Realm too, it was actually pretty good but there were only 9 episodes before they pulled the plug. I got it from cex for 50p so I'd say it's worth a watch!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

mookysam

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yes! I love Curb Your Enthusiasm! My favourite episode is the one with the p***y rash. 😂

@nessisonett I find the schmaltzy nonsense that underpins a lot of American sitcoms quite irritating. I love that in Seinfeld the characters were genuinely selfish, contemptible people, which just made it even funnier. They never learn anything, they never grow, and why should they?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah he seems(?) to be ok generally other then some pretty big memory loss @RogerRoger @Ralphdibny

For a lighter hearted fact about Malcolm In The Middle apparently the writers had a game which was "What will Bryan Cranston do?" ... However they eventually changed the name of the game to "What won't Bryan Cranston do?" because he quite happily kept doing all the ridiculous stunts they kept writing up for him and successfully pulling them all off himself 😅

Vince Gilligan (The Breaking Bad guy) wrote the episode of The X-Files you're talking about @Ralphdibny (Drive from season 6 if I recall) and Bryan's character "Mr Krump" inspired Walter White apparently!

Is the X-Files Episode Via Negativa you're talking about the one with The cult and the guy whom has a third/mind's eye or something?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy haha Cranston is a legend! I really need to watch breaking bad. I didn't get into it at the time because of all the hype (it normally inflates my expectations so I end up waiting before I watch the "next big thing"). But Vince Gilligan is a main dude on X files so I may well end up finally giving it a go after this!

I've seen bits of better call Saul though which I thought was good and seemed to feature the actor who played classic X files/lone gunmen man in black Morris Fletcher.

Yeah that's the episode! There's this really heavy sequence where Dogget doesn't know whether he is in a dream or not and he just looks totally messed up. I'm sure it had to do with make up/lighting too but it's just a brilliant scene that he shares with Skinner that really shows how vulnerable he can be. I think Dogget is just one of my favourite characters, he's just a really stand up guy despite all the resistance he faces from other characters. He gets quite a hard time from people, especially Mulder. Shame it didn't carry on more than two seasons with him! I was never that big of a fan of Reyes really though and I do sort of prefer the Dogget/Mulder and Dogget/Skinner episodes. I did love the one where Skinner tells him he's compromised by Krycek and the first thing he does is go down there and jump into his car window and beat the crap out of him despite not knowing any of Krycek's history.

See ya!

nessisonett

Doggett > Mulder/Scully don’t @ me 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

blacklivesmatter

Started watching High Score on Netlflix show about the history of video games. The narrator is irritating the content has been done better by other people.

blacklivesmatter

Th3solution

@blacklivesmatter I saw that pop up on my suggestions and was thinking of giving it a try since I loved “The King of Kong.” Sounds like “High Score” is not near as good.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I’ve only heard good things about it, other than a little spat I had on NLife with some people who complained about Netflix and their ‘SJW agenda’.

Tjuz

Speaking of American comedy where the leads are bad people, I'd absolutely recommend You're the Worst to anyone and everyone who listens. It's an incredible romcom following a highly dysfunctional relationship, while also being able to tastefully handle subjects such as depression and PTSD. Makes it sound like it's tonally all over the place I'm sure, but I promise it's great stuff. It's easily my favourite comedy show I've seen period, and one of my favourite shows overall. Aya Cash as Gretchen in particular is just a masterful performance that was somehow snubbed from any and all awards. She's also going to show up in the second season of The Boys in a few weeks, so if you love that show you might as well familiarise yourself with her!

Also, with all the Band of Brothers talk here, I'm starting to feel like a bad person for dropping out, haha. I think I watched the first 7 episodes and afterwards just had no desire to continue. WW2/military movies and TV shows generally aren't really my thing though, so that probably helped in my disinterest. I did really like the Catch-22 TV adaptation from last year though, but that's mostly because it had a very interesting and more comedic tone to it that you don't usually see in a military setting. It felt fresh, and Kyle Chandler was fantastic in it.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

nessisonett

@Tjuz I got so much flack from some of my friends for really enjoying that Catch-22 adaptation. I have the book, I’ve read it many many times and love it but still appreciated that show for trying to tackle it. My friends hated it and I don’t really know why, it would have been a headache and a half trying to adapt the non-linearity so I was OK with them straightening out the narrative. I think I prefer it to the movie adaptation.

Tjuz

@nessisonett I'll admit I didn't read the book nor had I watched the movie adaptation before the show, and I was generally unfamiliar with the source material outside of the meaning of a Catch-22 and that it was satire, so I went in with totally fresh eyes. I thought the linear narrative worked very well and I honestly wouldn't have thought it was originally non-linear had you not told me. I loved the show for its different feel compared to most other shows and movies that tackle war, but I imagine that feel is the same in the book and movie. I also thought it did a great job of balancing both the comedy and the serious aspects. It never felt tone-deaf or insensitive. Add a great cast to that with overall humorous and good writing, and I think it was a very successful miniseries. Had a great time with it for sure.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz Yep, can't wait for season 2 of The Boys! Feels like it's been 'coming next month' forever.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Vahla_Hanesh

I'm already missing Agents of SHIELD, as its last episode aired just over a week ago. As an obsessive of the show I was very satisfied with the ending it gave us for the story and the characters. It's one of my most recommended shows since most people seem to give up on it a few episodes into the first season, just before it hits its stride. Definitely the ugly stepchild in the eyes of ABC and Disney who didn't know what to do with it or to bother with it at all, as cancellation constantly loomed over it and its budget got smaller and smaller. No matter that the writing, directing, and acting was top notch and I highly recommend it to whoever who was read this till the end. Will not disappoint.

Vahla_Hanesh

RogerRoger

@Vahla_Hanesh Thanks for the endorsement, as I've been considering Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a while now, ever since I marathoned the entire MCU. It's on my watchlist, alongside Agent Carter, but I wanna give Buffy the Vampire Slayer a shot first... anyway, whenever I get to it, I'll try and stick with it, as you recommend!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic