Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,021 to 3,040 of 8,938

MightyDemon82

Took a break from my trophy hunting in Death Stranding to watch The Irishman and I really enjoyed it, the older I get I tend to appreciate slow burn entertainment more and more over the ott cgi /explosion movies!

MightyDemon82

HallowMoonshadow

If I'm remembering a useless bit of trivia right @RogerRoger it was Scrooge McDuck and his cartoon strip that inspired the man whom made the famous manga/Anime AstroBoy (...I really don't recall the names of either human party... only the fictional multimillionaire duck 😂)

As for Wonder Woman... Uhhh... I honestly didn't think much of Gadot in Bats v Supes to be honest (... Doesn't help I don't like Supes as a character either and... Bats was... bleh).

I only watched Suicide Squad cus I heard it was so bad it's good from a friend... I never got the good. Was just bad to me unfortunately. 😅

Haven't watched any of the other DC films... Joker's probably the only exception at the moment but certainly not at the moment!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Cool, thanks (and I don't blame you; if I saw a talking duck in a top hat, swimming around in piles of money, I reckon that'd be all I could remember, too)!

You'll know if you like Wonder Woman or not if you catch her first standalone film (entitled, er... Wonder Woman) from 2017, which was very loosely tied to her introduction in Batman V Superman and flashes back to tell her origin story. Many people thought it was solid, if unremarkable; it held my attention from beginning to end, and features one outstanding sequence midway through.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Getting Thor: Ragnarok vibes because of the color palette from these posters.

Untitled

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @RogerRoger Didn't think much of Wonder Woman myself, thought it just about above average. Better than all the other recent DC stuff, but that is not saying much. I gave up after Justice League which was a bore fest, and I only watched it because my mate in lent it to me without me asking.

I too will giving Joker a watch when it comes to home viewing, as that looks a bit different to the recent DC stuff.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I think DC have surprised everybody with Joker, but it's what they were trying to do from the beginning; they never wanted to make Marvel-style movies, they just wanted Marvel-level box office returns. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more R-rated, risky interpretations of DC characters going forward.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Just read about the villain Maxwell Lord's powers and that he can manipulate people's minds. So maybe Steve is not real?

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger @RogerRoger The Deadpool films and Logan shows R rated super hero films can make crazy amounts of money at the box office. DC's films seem to be an awkward mish mash of Marvel and Nolan, and lack a true identity of what they wanted the films to be. Joker is a step in the right direction, but I am going off the whole super hero thing in films. It has become way too over saturated for my liking these days. I'm a bit mixed on Marvel's future plans for films too, with only a couple that has my interest.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Possibly, maybe that connects with the watch or something, a focus of her thoughts that the villain can manifest and make real? Interesting!

@JohnnyShoulder Despite my excitement for Wonder Woman, I actually agree with you. I still have Aquaman and Shazam! sitting in their sealed Blu-Ray boxes; had all the opportunity to watch them, just haven't felt in the right place to do so. I get picky because otherwise, you're right, there's an oversaturation of superhero stuff at the moment. Thank goodness I'm not a Marvel fan, otherwise it'd wear me out.

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

Since we're approaching the end of the decade, I was wondering what everyone's favourite films of the last ten years would be. Here are mine, in no particular order:

• Midnight Special
  • Toy Story 3
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • The Martian
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Interstellar
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • Rogue One
  • The Lego Batman Movie
  • Logan
  • Bone Tomahawk

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Glad to see another fan of Midnight Special. What a hidden gem of a film.

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder One of my absolute faves. Everyone in it is so good. Michael Shannon especially is absolutely heartbreaking

Gremio108

@LN78 I've seen all of those, except Blade Runner 2049, which I've not got around to yet for some reason, despite being a sci-fi fan. They're all good shouts, I did consider putting Arrival down myself

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 @Gremio108 I'll add the following, Mad Max FR would absoulety be in there too:
Logan
Ex Machina
Nightcrawler
Gone Girl
Prisoners
Sicario
Deadpool
What We Do in the Shadows

Ralizah

@Gremio108 I'll pick at least one for each year.

2010 - How to Train Your Dragon
2011 - The Artist
2012 - The Cabin in the Woods
2013 - Her
2014 - The Babadook (along with Nightcrawler)
2015 - Bridge of Spies (kudos to Mad Max: Fury Road, too)
2016 - Kimi no Na wa (and Arrival)
2017 - Blade Runner 2049
2018 - They Shall Not Grow Old (and Hereditary)
2019 - The Lighthouse (along with Dark Waters)

Honorable mentions: Sicario, Midsommar, Kubo and the Two Strings, and Shin Godzilla

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

LN78 wrote:

I can't think of many films I've enjoyed more than "Paddington" and its sequel, "Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy"

@LN78 Genuinely read that as you thinking Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was a sequel to Paddington, and for a moment I wondered just how freakin' bleak they'd made the teddy bear movie!

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@LN78 Ex Machina has had a couple of mentions, that's another film I think I'd enjoy.

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I forgot about Logan, that's going on my list. What We Do In The Shadows was awesome as well.

@Ralizah How To Train Your Dragon is a good shout. Toy Story 3 from 2010 for me as well. The Cabin In The Woods would definitely make my top 20, if not higher.

@RogerRoger (to be read in a Russian accent) "Meet me at the station at midday, Mr Smiley. And bring the marmalade"

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I thought about Cabin in the Woods, but i incorrectly thought it was last decade. Good shout for Kubo and the Two Strings, I was trying to think of an animated film and that would definitely be in my list. I enjoyed Isle of Dogs too, but preferred Kubo ever so slightly.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108

Hey, I might've enjoyed Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a little more if there was a talking bear in it.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yes, that's probably true. Needed a car chase or something.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic