Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 1,061 to 1,074 of 1,074

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 Enjoy! The way you described Wicked City reminded of the Cryin Freeman manga I watched back in the day, sans the demons and supernatural elements.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

Last haul.

Untitled

Ghost in the Shell: the New Movie - Haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it. I do have (& have watched) the Arise OVAs, but it's been awhile so I hope I can keep up with it.

Goku: Midnight Eye - Another 80's cyberpunk OVA series that's too cool for school. Not very high brow, but I love stuff like this.

Princess Mononoke - Pretty great & I get what they were going for, but it sits in a weird spot for me. I think I prefer my Ghibli fare to be more lighthearted & would rather watch something more explicit if I wanted a more "mature" anime film.

Spirited Away - Absolutely gorgeous & imaginative film. I probably last watched it on cable back in the days of SDTV, so it was great revisiting it.

Urusei Yatsura: TV Collection 3 - Almost worked my way through this. I wasn't quite sure what to think of this series going in, but it's really grown on me & feels quite comfort food like. AFAIK they haven't even announced when the last set is going up for PO yet, so I'll probably have to look into another long running series to get into in the meantime (will probably start getting the Ranma sets, as that's what I was planning on doing before getting into these in the first place).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

So, I usually avoid "yuri" anime, since it's typically fetish-y garbage aimed at straight men.

Light novel isekai adaptations tend to bore me to tears as well.

All that being said, I'm pleasantly surprised by how decent the yuri isekai anime "I'm In Love With the Villainess" is. Protagonist Rae Taylor is that rarest of things in anime: a happily, unashamedly lesbian woman who fully embraces her feelings for the haughty rich girl villain of the otome game she was resurrected within.

And while we're on the topic of the current season's anime, Goblin Slayer season two has a killer opening. Absolutely love it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

It's a shame in that you have to say how suprised you are at how decent it is @Ralizah.

... I did find that trailer pretty hilarious though myself.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@HallowMoonshadow Yeah, my friend and I sat through the first four episodes the other day and were pretty much laughing non-stop.

LGBT anime is a mess. So full of physical and emotional abuse meant to sate the elicit cravings of their respective heterosexual audiences.

This is literally the only anime I can think of... full-stop where characters have grounded discussions about consent and sexuality. lol

The show feels like it's on the edge of tipping over into gay panic humor, but the one time it does that, the girl gets called out for homophobic assumptions, which surprised me.

Anyway, yeah, if it keeps it up, it'll be my favorite show this season.

The only other GL/yuri anime that surprised me with its quality was Bloom Into You years back. Although tbh half of my appreciation for that series was the gorgeous soundtrack.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

MightyDemon82

I now have all 14 volumes of Berserk deluxe editions can't wait to dive in. Have the first 4 volumes of FMA full metal editions as I loved the anime and wanted to read the manga.

Was in HMV and picked up Neon Genesis Evangelion series on blu ray and the blu ray of 3.0+1.11 all for £35.

MightyDemon82

RR529

Here's everything I've gotten over the past 2 months.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

• Anime 3 Series Collection (Kurozuka, Ultraviolet Code 044, Viper's Creed)
  • Blue Submarine No. 6
  • Crying Freeman
  • Darkstalkers
  • Eiken
  • FLCL
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
  • Only Yesterday
  • Perfect Blue
  • Rail Wars
  • Ranma 1/2 set 1
  • Royal Space Force: the Wings of Honnêamise
  • Tenchi Muyo OVA Collection

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Newest additions.

Untitled

Cowboy Bebop: the Movie - Haven't seen this in ages, but it was pretty great. Don't think it quite lived up to the series, but that's a very high bar to clear & it came close. Really loved how lived in and grounded the world building felt.

Ponyo - One of the weaker Ghibli films IMO (it feels more like a "kids' film" than a "film for everyone that kids can also watch" that the better Ghibli films capture), but it still looks absolutely gorgeous (& I love aquatic themed anime) so I enjoyed it well enough.

Urusei Yatsura TV Collection 4 - The final set! It's pretty much more of the same, but I enjoy the antics. I don't even have 20 episodes left to go now & it's been quite a ride. Will start picking up the Ranma sets once I finish.

Why the hell are you here Teacher!? - Pretty cliche fanservice anime. Pretty fun if that's what you're into though, and the episode runtimes are brief so it doesn't put up much pretext & gets right to it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HallowMoonshadow

I bought the boxset of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood over the weekend.

I've only actually only watched it the once so I honestly don't remember much about it beyond some very broad strokes and generally liking it so I'm looking forward to watching that over the weeks!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RR529

Newest additions

Untitled
Untitled

• Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure - Watched this eons ago on a G4TV anime block, so it feels kinda familiar yet fresh. It seems to take a lot from more famous properties, with a lot of superficial elements ripped from Evangelion (Teenage boy mech pilot ends up in a living arrangement with three women. His commanding officer, the tsundere girl who acts like he's worthless but likes him, and the stoic biologically engineered girl who opens up to him specifically. Oh, and the mech designs themselves are barely legally distinct from Evas), but also the antagonists are a knock off Red Ribbon Army (Dragon Ball). IIRC, it's revealed to be a stealth Tenchi Muyo! spinoff by the end too (like, legitimately). Obviously it's not as narratively deep & more lightheadted than Evangelion (definitely more of a standard harem feel), and it feels much more SFW with what little fanservice it's had (so far) in comparison to any other Tenchi related media I've seen, but I've been enjoying it.
  • Hand Maid May - Haven't seen this before, but it looks like something I'd enjoy.
  • Otaku no Video - I think I've seen this before a number of years ago, but I don't remember much about it (though I know it's loosely based on Gainax's history, with a group of otaku making their own anime studio). I've enjoyed every Gainax release I've seen though so it seemed like a safe bet. All the stuff in the second pic is all the extras it came packed with.
  • Pom Poko - Haven't seen before, but Ghibli is usually a good pick. I'm not a sub purist or anything, but I may skip the dub on this because I've heard that aspect of it is really bad though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Recent Haul.

Untitled

Berserk - the '97 series. As famous as the franchise is I'm completely uninitiated. I think I'm about 9 episodes in now & am enjoying it quite a bit.

From Up on Poppy Hill - Haven't seen before, but Ghibli is always a safe bet.

Metal Skin Panic: Madox-01 - Saw this years ago on an old YouTube channel that was dumping a bunch of old 80's & 90's OVA's/Movies, but haven't seen it since. Generally like Mecha/sci-fi stuff of the era though, so It'll be nice to give it a watch.

Ranma 1/2 Set 2 - Finished this up recently. It's still as hilarious as it ever was & I can't wait to buy the next set once I'm done with Berserk.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Pizzamorg

A bit late to the party, but I just finished Metallic Rogue. At first I really appreciated its unconventional approach to storytelling, its focus more on mood, vibes and atmosphere over anything else. This is all fine in the early episodes of a series, because in our minds the pay off for all of this is still coming. But the pay off here... never really comes. As the final credits rolled I couldn’t really tell you what the show was about or what even really happened. There also weren’t even really any memorable climactic battles, in fact it felt like we got less and less action with each passing episode, even as the show narratively was ramping up to these apparently climatic, world altering, showdowns. It was also just a lot of mediocre, to downright not great animation too. Just yeah, not a horrible show or whatever, but just such a nothing show I'm sure I'll forget I ever watched within a matter of months, probably less.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic